RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Building a Big Swamp Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 08:37 PM
wrenchjocky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a Big Swamp Buggy

Hello All,

I have recently pulled out of storage my Dumas Big swamp buggy that I recieved for X-mas 1985. I have seen alot of posts here on epoxy finishes for the boats, but nothing on the stuctural adhesives used during constuction and interior sealing. There are so many brands of CA & Epoxy's on the market today, it is impossible to know what is quality and what is not. I would greatly appreciate any input as to what to brands and types to use, or not use as the case may be. When I originaly started the build, I used ZAP CA and Tower Hobbies 5 & 30-min epoxy's.
Also if any of you veteran Big Swamp Buggy builders out there have any tips and or pics of your builds, (Dumas Plans Suck) they would be most welcome.

BTW This is a great forum, many good people and a wealth of combined knowledge.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:35 AM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Building a Big Swamp Buggy

Assemble all plywood to plywood joints with 30 minute epoxy. Takes a bit longer but makes for strength. I would fiberglas all seams if not the entire hull. I have a BGS under construction now. I agree about Dumas plans and instructions. Pure junk. I built the Windy and it's a very nice boat. Made mistake of underpowering by using the recommended .10 engine. Will build another with a .15. I usually get most things right on the second try. BGS will handle a .60 engine.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:09 PM
j and m custom boats

I have several swamp buggy boats,,,I also agree the plans are not good, but I have alot of fun with mine. I think .10 AND .15 is under powered. I have a .60 on one boat and a .46 on the other..46 is about a good middle ground. I used bondo over the entire body, and then I used car body primer and sanded that down to smooth. It made for a great finish when I was done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87237.jpg
Views:	1869
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	267777  
Old 05-09-2005, 06:41 AM
gravitygust

I have a hull for a dumas swamp buggy that is vacuformed plastic if anyone might be interested in it. I built one a long time ago, and a friend used it as a mold and vac formed me a hull bottom half. I'll never use it. I can clic some pics of it if needed. I'm not sure how one would make the top deck for it! I rarely visit this forum, so my email is [email protected]. I visit rcgroups daily. Same nick as here.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:46 PM
n8mkr

Wrench Jockey:
What ever became of your Big Swamp Buggy? Have any pictures? I am just starting mine now. I would like to see how yours turned out.
John
Old 11-27-2007, 05:11 PM
wrenchjocky

I was only able to complete the inner hull structure, and all of the basic sanding and fitting of the components, before I was diagnosed with cervical disc disease, which caused severe pain and partial loss of feeling in my hands. I had surgery to repair the damage back in Nov 2005, but rehabilitation has been long slow process. I still have the boat laid out on my bench waiting to be finished; I will update the group with progress as/when it happens.
Here is a pic of my boat building/reloading bench I built in the closet of my office at home. I used a 1 3/4 solid core door for my layout board. It makes for a perfectly flat sturdy platform that can be moved if needed. Over the time that I have been recovering, I have gathered many pictures of BSB's and other airboats to use as aids to help in the building of mine and in getting ideas for any good design changes others have found for the BSB. Lets face it, Dumas's Build plans just plain suck. Pictures and advice from others are a big help. If anyone is interested and knows of a place where I can do a batch post of the pics I have collected, I would be happy to share my collection to help others.

Regards to all
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50429.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	813547  
Old 11-27-2007, 09:06 PM
n8mkr

WrenchJockey:

I have been posting in the following thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_54...tm.htm#5425501

I have found it to have some of the best pix by BadAzzSwampBuggy that I have seen. Has helped me with my assembly so far. I have posted my pix there to and will continue to. You may want to post your collection of pix there even. Check it out.

John