Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

hey try an air scoop !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 01:23 PM
gold teef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey try an air scoop !!!!

hey i have a basic boogie board design air boat i do alot of grass driving with .it it has an os four stroke 91 surpass ,it hauls but i was always flipping it .so i slammed a homemade air scoop made out of coroplast on the nose now i can ride wheelies and it never flips . all get u all some videos of the wheelies its way insane .....try it
Old 12-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: hey try an air scoop !!!!

Do you have any pics of the scoop? I have a .42 powered boogie board and I have to watch my speed on grass or it will flip.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:18 PM
jasperrc

I'm running a wing on my current boat, but I'm curious about your scoop. Pics would be awesome!
Old 12-14-2005, 01:34 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

Hows the wing work? Does it keep the nose down at high speed? Any tendency to push the nose under water at high speed?
Old 12-14-2005, 02:06 PM
jasperrc

I've tried flat and curved wings, and both worked, although I think the curved wing is more effective. I made the mount so the angle is adjustable. I just played with it until I found the sweet spot. With the flat wing, I did have a point when it was applying too much force and causing spinouts, but after an adjustment to the angle it was fine. I didn't have that issue with the curved wing, but maybe I was lucky. If you have a 3 channel or greater radio, you could hook it to a servo and adjust it on the fly.

The nice thing about the wing is that It applies more force the faster you go, so when you are just getting moving and still trying to get on plain, it is not pushing down much, but when you are on plain at top speed, it is applying maximum force. Another advantage is that since it is in front of the prop, it does not rely on prop wash to make it effective, so when you get off the gas at high speed, it is still just as effective.

Flat wing

Curved wing
Old 12-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

I was actually considering making the wing adjustable on the fly with 3rd channel. I wonder if it'd be worth the extra effort. I was also considering putting a wing on the back instead. This way, when the nose wants to lift, the back would as well. I'd end up with a WIG or with enough power - a wierd looking floatplane. Next week is finals, but after that I got a month free to tinker.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:57 PM
Bsmooth

Why not tie it onto the throttle channel? That way it would be low downforce at low speed and high downforce at highspeed. Simple Y cable could do that.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Model_Mann

hey guys im back, long time no post, lol, i feel that making that wing (scoop as you call it) would be an awsome idea, it would be just like that new audi that just came out, after you hit 50 the wing is constantly changing to create perfact down force, another good idea would be trim tabs in the water under your hull, just an idea, using a third servo on the wing i think would be best so that you can make the boat do what you want when you want.