Rc airboats that go out of control

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Rc airboats that go out of control

Old 01-14-2006, 08:06 AM
Rowboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rc airboats that go out of control

I just recently had a situation where my boat went AWOL across the lake .
My recovery boat(a tinny with a 15 hsp outboard ) was stuck in the sea weed and could'nt chase it , but luck was my way,and after about 3 minutes (it felt longer) My airboat returned and passed me at some distance and hit the shore and disappeared into the Bush. Yes I did eventually find it . I found out later that the batteries had come loose due to the wave jumping.

Q: Does anyone know how to stop RC boats from going AWOL.
[:@]
Old 01-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Midget

Default RE: Rc airboats that go out of control

get a fail safe
Old 01-14-2006, 08:48 AM
Selph-Inflicted

Use a zip-tie to wrap around the batteries, this will kep them from popping out on you.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:10 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Fail safe , new battery holder ( yours sounds like it must be worn out ) or better yet , use rechargable battery packs ... won't ever have that problem .
Old 01-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few things that can be done to prevent lost of control due to a radio glitch. Tieing the batteries in the holder with either a tie strap or rubber bands. Useing a servo plug lock at the point where the batter holder plugs into the switch. Wraping the Rx with something to absorb viberation. Place the electronics in a radio box (water proof). Placing a blue paper shop towel in the radio box to absorb any water that may enter into the box. Test the system each and ever time you run, if you have any sign of weak batteries replace. Batteries can quickly die off after they become weak. Tie strap all of the wires to keep them away from as much as possible of the RX antenna wire. Inspect the boat for anything loose, anything that will let metal to metal rub.One of the main things to prevent is moisture from entering the radio sytem. Make sure that you are the only person running on your radio channel. High power electrical lines can also cause radio failure. The hardest thing is to not run if you find any sign of trouble, I have also crashed a boat from running when I knew better.
Good luck and Happy Boating
Old 01-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Rowboat

Thanks for the feed back ,I will give the Fail safe and zip ties a go.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:32 PM
usna5517

I have an urge to build my first air boat. I paln to build one about 40" long and about a 15" beam. Looking at the several pictures of madel built, I note that the engine facees forward. Why is that. I had been planning to face the engine aft and reverse prop. Is it heat at idle?
Thanks,
Hal
Old 01-16-2006, 04:45 PM
biteme
Banned

Yes heat does come into play, but it is not the only factor. Many do pullers due to the ease of setup - one engine pylon, prop forward, and rudder(s) aft, very simple. Pushers have more of a 'real' or 'scale' look. each has different handling chariteristics, both good and bad; sometimes undistugushable. Because pushers do run a little hotter, run the engine a little rich, and/or increase airflow with a duct or cowl, or use a larger cooling head. Also suggested would be for pushers to use a BB engine, as they run cooler anyway. Sean
Old 01-17-2006, 01:26 PM
jasperrc

Another reason pullers are popular is that puller props are easier to find. Something to consider if you don't have easy access to a hobby shop.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:04 PM
biteme
Banned

Good point, Jasper