Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Carolina Monster W/Video's

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 05:20 PM
asmithnc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carolina Monster W/Video's

I have had this boat sitting in the corner for a long time now.... never used. Thought it needed a little twist for some EXTRA fun. Replaced the .46 with an Evolution 1.00.

New class of boats MONSTERS

Old 08-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Selph-Inflicted

Default RE: Evolutionized Gator

I like your "twist"! [8D]

You did quit a few mods. Went from a pusher to a puller, canned the air rudder and added the water rudder, and kicked the .46 out and replaced it with a 1.00.

I look forward to seeing what your "thinking ouside the box" turns into.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:57 PM
monstermaker13

wow! i bet that thing screams on the water
Old 08-07-2006, 10:57 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like your gonna have to switch to a air radio set up. I see that you made the engine mount so that it is easly adjustable. Its gonna need a fair amount of up AOA to keep it in the water. The boats that I have for that engine are nearly twice the size of the .46 hull. In which are running in the 30mph mark. The water rudder is a plus, that will help to keep the bow down. What size prop are you spinning on it? Wolfman installed a .61 on his 46 gator and that little boat screamed. I'd say that your gonna have a speed that will be hard to out do. With the .46 they run 30mph. At the races boatman and a couple other guys put the gun on one of the .46 CG's and I was told that it was in the 40mph mark.
Good luck hope that every thing works out ok.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Andy when are we gonna get some vids of this beast? Have you tried it yet?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:46 AM
asmithnc

I tried it out just before i went on vacation. All the cameras were packed up. She did ok but the water rudder forced the bow down and it killed the top speed. I have since adjusted and tried to fire her up yesterday. I had a bad glow plug. Just went and bought some today and hoping to get videos soon.

She is swinging a 12 x 12 prop with no room to adjust to a larger prop. Might have to make some another custom pvc engine risers to allow for the larger prop in the future. Or get a three bladed 12"er.....we will just have to see soon.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:07 PM
asmithnc

All the adjustments worked. It was too late in the day for video. She is way too fast for this current set-up. She skipped across the water like a flat rock. Yes, she ended upside down but what fun. Back to the adjustment bench for a little more work.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:29 PM
asmithnc

two quick video's of a little run action.
http://www.rc-airboats.com/gallery/v...&id=Gator_flip
http://www.rc-airboats.com/gallery/v...d=Barrell_Roll
Old 08-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Default RE: Evolutionized Gator Video's

Did you put the gun on it yet? looks to be quick. would make for a great drag race boat.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

after watching the vid 5 or 6 more times I realized that the engine must still be new with the rich settings, if this is the case, man you better hang on, cause she is gonna really need wings
Old 08-20-2006, 09:48 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

asmithnc, any idea what kinda of R's your getting? it sounds to me like it's lugging a bit to much... a 12x12 is ALOT of prop for that engine... normal range is 13x6 to 16x4. I know you can't run any more dia so you might try an APC 12x8(bout the same load as the 13x6) or an APC 12x10... you get that monster up in it's power band and you won't be able to keep that poor gator on the water!

Once Harold finishes mine I'll just stick with the safe and sane 46 size engine

John

Old 08-21-2006, 10:15 AM
asmithnc

Yes, your right. The engine is not where I want it to be. The pitch is high but I know that I'm safe not to over rev the motor. I will try a lower 8 pitch or maybe try a 3 blader. Thanks for the tip.

Once I burned up the factory glow plug I went and bought a fox plug. I really do not like this plug at all for the engine. I really would like to know what the factory plugs are but the book did not say. Once she is dialed in I bet she will be hard to keep up with.

No, I did not get a chance to put the gps on her. I first wanted to dial in the water rudder then strap on the gps. Never got the chance due to a very hard filp ( The first one listed) which broke the rudder in half. It really needs a metal adjustable rudder. Any Ideas for an adjustable rudder would be nice.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:16 PM
jsn

Asmithnc,

Your evo 1.00 should have had this in it.... http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN3006

I'm not sure who makes them for H9 but it look's like an O.S. 8 copy... I've always had the best luck using O.S 8's or A3's depending on the engine and %nitro fuel I'm running... the Tower plugs are not bad either for the money. Some swear by Fox plug's... I swear at um If it were me I'd run an O.S 8 or the tower clone... what %nitro you running? and when you say the factory plug burned up how did it burn up? just break in fouling or did the coil get shoved up into the body of the plug? I'd bet the plug coil distorted because of the prop load... just a guess though

John
Old 08-21-2006, 04:01 PM
asmithnc

The coil did distort. I was thinking more on the lines hot motor hits cold water. Hey, Thanks for the info...... DO you have an evo 1.00 and have you tried an OS 8 plug. I have tried the OS 8 plug but it never fired. Looks like the coil wasn't long enough compaired to the original plug. Thanks again John
Old 08-21-2006, 05:09 PM
jsn

asmithnc,

I haven't ran an airboat since my flight craft... I do know I dunked it a BUNCH of times and never had a blown plug. I use to race nitro boats that didn't always stay wet side down... I can't recall ever replacing a plug after a dunk. Replace a plug from lean runs or the wrong heat range for nitro% you bet, lot's of um... I've also over propped my plane engines and had some distortion at the plug or a blown plug.

On closer inspection the evo 1.00 plug is an R/C long that's a bit longer the some other long plug's... it's not an O.S 8 clone. Length should not matter that much though any long plug SHOULD work. NO I do not have an evo 1.00... I'm more a 4 stroke guy these day's when it comes to engines over 40 size...The only evo 1.00 I've worked on did run fine with the O.S. 8 I put in it... the guy I was helping didn't have another plug at the field so I put one of mine in. I'm surprised your evo would not run with an O.S. 8 in it. The length difference should not matter hardly at all... a tiny hit in performance and maybe a little faster idle that's it...did the O.S.8 glow when you pulled it out of the engine? was it bad out of the package? I've had that happen... maybe 2 times in twenty years though. The H9 four stroke plug's are very good... I'd expect the same of the 2 stroke IF their not the same plug... the do look alike from the picture's... I've had engines in the past the only liked one type/brand of plug... you may have to stick with the H9 plug.

John
Old 09-23-2006, 10:40 PM
asmithnc

The 1.00 was way too big for the boat. I have since changed motors like I have changed every thing else on the kit. I ended up spending way too much time in the machine shop to get it right.

http://www.rc-airboats.com/gallery/a...indy_day_2.wmv

Old 09-24-2006, 08:56 PM
bign

looks like you got all the bugs worked out of the design Andy, she has turned out to be a pretty good runnin boat, just takes a lil patience and a fat wallet and you can fix anything, lol.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:33 AM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

Great vid!!!

Don M.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:47 AM
jasperrc

Default RE: Carolina Monster W/Video's

Awesome video!

So what motor did you end up with on it?
Old 10-09-2006, 05:57 AM
asmithnc

Hey Jasper, I put my hot little OS.46ax on her and she came to life. I have GPS'ed her at 41.2mph. I tried to run her again this past weekend but the weather would not work with me. I am tring to beat 43.3 mph that was just posted at RCAW by Selph Inflicted.

http://www.rc-airboats.com/gallery/a..._3_Pointer.wmv

My goal is to get a flat bottom to hit a top speed of 50 mph. I will not stop until I reach this goal. I am already building another copy of this boat which will be much lighter.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:09 AM
asmithnc

Below is a picture of the new motor set-up. I am still fine tuning the engine and water rudder pitch. Tring to get the boat to run on the transom only. Since running a water rudder I have found it hard to dial in b/c I am always hitting something under water.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Selph-Inflicted

41.2 is screaming for a flatbottom airboat! [8D]

I like the redesigning that you have done on the boat. Thats some nice motor plate work also. What material did you use to make it?

I look forward to seeing what it does when you have "tweaked" it until it just can't take anymore.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:43 PM
asmithnc

Yes, 41.2 is screaming but I want more. The material used on the motor plate is PVC. 90% of the material I machine is plastic so I thought why not. It has held up very well and shows no sign of stress or effect from nitro.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:44 PM
89ram

where would a guy get pieces of pvc like you used? probably lighter than aluminum too? i have a mill, although i'm no pro with it. man, i'm getting that boating bug checking out these threads. are there any particular sites i should check out? i just have'nt had the time to go hunting around. thanks a bunch for any help.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

ORIGINAL: asmithnc

Yes, 41.2 is screaming but I want more. The material used on the motor plate is PVC. 90% of the material I machine is plastic so I thought why not. It has held up very well and shows no sign of stress or effect from nitro.
Something tells me that your gonna get that 50mph mark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.