Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

EP airboat build

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 02:42 PM
saleens7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EP airboat build

i wont really have to worry about crashing, my only two lakes i can run in have no rocks, the shores are a small, steadily climing incine and there are no trees or obstacles within atleast 20 feet from the shore.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:43 PM
saleens7

also, being that my dad is a woodworker and has much experience with wood (built almost all the tables, shelfs, and entetainment centers in my house) a balsa hull would be the easiest to make. besides, you never learn unless you try.

one small question, if someone posts here and you are on the thread at the same time, does the new post appear when you are still on the thread or do you have to exit and go back before the post appears?
Old 09-19-2006, 02:53 PM
saleens7

i see your still logged on to this thread, you better be writing a long response to my question!!

naw, im just kiddn' but really whats taking so long, remember my motto "im not just impatient, im just bad at being patient"
Old 09-19-2006, 03:10 PM
bign

i run in a lake that has NO trees NO rocks nothing at all that can hurt my airboats, even the shore is a nice sandy flat surface, and ive destroyed a few of my boats at this lake. you would be amazed at what can cause damage, lol. your runnin spots may not be dangerous to your model WHILE YOU HAVE CONTROL OF IT, but trust me something will happen, it always does. some country boy with his CB radio will clitch your radio or something like that and next thing you know your heading WOT straight into a tree , lol. your right building is where you get the experience but i wouldnt go out on my first build and try and build some off the wall design when ive never even built a basic boat before. took me about 4 boats before i got a handle of what i was doing. i think if you keep it simple on your first build you will be much happier when your done, then use what you learned to do your second project and so on and so on. just my .02
Old 09-19-2006, 03:16 PM
saleens7

i got no worries about radio interference, liteally no one has an rc anything but me in my neighborhood. Besides, the only things in rc that people HAD were cars, untill an old couple moved in and on the first day reported to the cops that they couldnt take the noise of one little nitro car 4 blocks away. ever since, no one runs their cars. That is because the police will ticket you and even take your car away if you are running it. one time, someone was using an electric that made almost no noise at all and a police car came and purposly ran over it. Thats why i use boats, if cops try to run it over, they will be half way to the bottom of the lake before they can even get close.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:25 PM
bign

you might want to do a lil research bro, it doesnt take another Radio controlled vehicle to effect your system. there is a lil more to it than that A plane flying over, a cop car, a hill billy with a CB, Walkie talkies, there is all kinds of things that can cause a problem.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:49 PM
saleens7

well, once i accidentally left my Rx on for two days and there was no servo movement, although it might block the signal transmission from the TX to the Rx
Old 09-19-2006, 05:04 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1/8 balsa will be fine mate,unless you can get corro that thin id stay with balsa,its not going to be a speed demon with that motor anyway so i doubt it will break up on you.by the way that boat i showed you has no bad vices the guy spent ages testing it out so it wont flip on you as will a lot of air boats.if you can find really thin corro by all means try it you could even build that boat from it in the same way and use silicone for glue,glad you liked my boat .
Old 09-19-2006, 05:08 PM
martno1fan

by the way follow the guys build and all will become clear on what goes where.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:02 PM
bign

Think you have alot of question now, wait until you start building thats when the question really start, lol.... Good Luck !!!! Keep askin them questions and we will keep answering them partner.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:36 PM
saleens7

good news everyone, ive poured and dried the mold, cut it to shape, mounted the rudder mount, have the motor mount almost done, and my radio gear should arrive tomorrow or friday.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:16 AM
martno1fan

pics we want pics!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 05:25 AM
saleens7

i got pics let me get to the link. P.S. it looks like **** right now. but im going to sand it down better, add a 1/16 inch peice of balsa on top and cover the bottom with coro.

heres the link

http://rcairboats.net/v-web/bulletin...1914&start=150
Old 09-21-2006, 10:30 AM
martno1fan

wow rough is right lol id have used a block of white foam to start with lol,also the mount looks like its not gonna hold sorry to be blunt!!
Old 09-21-2006, 12:33 PM
saleens7

im not going to use the hull or the mount. im buying a bogey board and the mount is a temporary one. i havent build the motor mount/rudder mount yet.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:43 PM
martno1fan

lol boogey boards are heavy!! you will need a nitro motor for that unless you go brushless!!i think you need to sit down and really think about what you want to build?.no rush take your time.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:51 PM
saleens7

not the one im buying. its just tightly packed styrofoam. ill cut it to lenth too, so thatll make iut even lighter.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:15 PM
martno1fan

that tightly packed styrofoam is heavier than most other foams as its tightly packed !! but hey good luck i hope it works out for yaa.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:31 PM
saleens7

it is a VERY powerful motor and will have no trouble pushing a styrofoam bogeyboard. im also looking for insulation foam too.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:24 PM
saleens7

well, i finally got a new hull finished. made out of coro, with spray foam in it. im gonna put some liteply on for a deck and then mount everything. ill ty to get some pics of the finished product. im also going to make the motor mount interchangable, that way i can swith betwwen my coro, foam, and balsa hulls.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:30 PM
martno1fan

why did you put foam in it?,just use corro and seal it with cilicone sealer!!,no point making it twice as heavy.i used foam covered with corro for a plane nitro engine and its not light!!.not light enough for electric anyways.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:32 PM
saleens7

i used it for support and sealent. i did a crappy job sealing the hull, so just in case water fills it up it floats. actually its not that heavy anyway, the motor puts out quite a bit of thrust. also, it will support the hull & deck and will allow me to make a 1 inch dip in the back for the prop without needing to add any supports.

plus this is my first build and i dont know what i am doing half the time.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 09-23-2006, 07:33 PM
saleens7

here is one of the pics of my "new and improved hull"<<epoxy still drying.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...corohull-1.jpg

VOTE YES FOR ME!!!!<<look at the pic and youll get it
Old 09-24-2006, 01:19 PM
martno1fan

just get some foam blocks and silicone them inside for suport of the deck seal all inner edges of hull then stick the corro deck on top,where motor mount goes just glue a plywood base and fasten mount to that!!.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:54 PM
saleens7

ill make a better coro hull, that one was just to test if i could make one. didnt do any measurements at all.

ill still try to find a bogy board and make a better hull from that. or, if home depot has it in stock, ill make one out of some insulation foam.

im having some trouble making the motor mount. does anyone have a good design for one??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.