Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Big Swamp Buggy ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Dartman1074

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Big Swamp Buggy ??'s

Here are a few updated Pic's. I have the top of the hull almost done, I need to finish a little more put I have the first coat of primer on and its looking pretty good so far. I was wanting to use a darker primer but this is all I had laying around and didnt feel like going and picking some up lol. Also I am thinking of a camo paint job. i have a few ideas but not sure how or if I want to do it yet lol..well here they are..

Tim

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63033.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	849335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98525.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	849336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41210.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	849337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70117.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	849338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj65748.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	849339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vm83505.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	849340  
Old 01-13-2008, 09:03 AM
rickster3057

Hey Tim really nice build, can i ask, what filler do you use???
Rickster3057
Old 01-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Dartman1074

I am using automotive filler "bondo" You can pick it up at autozone or any part store that is near you or even walmart has it usally. Or you can get it from a automotive paint store..
Old 01-13-2008, 11:24 PM
n8mkr

OK Guys, here are my latest pix. I sanded and shaped both sponsons and filled in any cracks left between the center edge of the sponson tops and the frame, with epoxy, and sanded them to contour. I then covered the entire left sponson bottom with medium weight fiberglass cloth. It came out nicer than I thought it might, probably because my daughter was helping me. I decided that one of my last steps will be to cover the back with either heavy weight cloth or carbon fiber cloth and heavy epoxy coating for aesthetics.

Name:	Zw69629.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	850756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10291.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	850757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90733.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	850758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91897.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	850759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi62420.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	850760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23301.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	850761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xz51606.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	850762  
Old 01-13-2008, 11:28 PM
crispyspa

Lookin' good! You will post videos when you are done....right?
Old 01-14-2008, 01:59 AM
newracer
My Feedback: (3)

Just wanted to throw up a pict of my BSB

Old 01-14-2008, 07:08 AM
noahdear
My Feedback: (2)

Perrty

Q. If the radio goes in the smaller aft compartment, what goes in the bigger forward compartment?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:50 AM
newracer
My Feedback: (3)

nothing
Old 01-14-2008, 10:04 AM
n8mkr

ORIGINAL: noahdear

Perrty

Q. If the radio goes in the smaller aft compartment, what goes in the bigger forward compartment?
It's a cockpit, but I am doing away with mine. To me it just looked like a great place to catch water or snow, or an onboard swimming pool. I have a piece of light ply that is going to serve as the front half of the deck.

Nice buggy Racer!!

Crispy, I will try to get some video going if it runs nice. If it runs like crap, you wouldn't want me to put that on there would you? [sm=wink_smile.gif] I lost my video camera in the divorce, but my digital cam is supposed to take video too. I will see what I can do.

I am not interested in opening the servo door every time I run the boat. Do any of you have any ideas as to where to locate the power switch and charging port. I am struggling with that. One idea that I have had has been to put an airfoil on the front deck and house the charging port and power switch on the back side of that, away from the elements. [sm=72_72.gif]
Old 01-14-2008, 11:33 AM
rickster3057

Hey badass, thanks for the filler answer, i will go get some wednesday for my twin hulled airboat.

Hey, N8MKR, if you go to tower hobbies look under the aeroplane accesories they do a waterproof switch and charge port, you could fit it to the top decking,it has a rubber cover, i used one on my airboat and ran it on water in snow and on wet grass and never had a problem with it.
Rick.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:52 AM
rickster3057

Hi Badass,
I thought i would post my first and latest airboats up if thats ok???
The charge port is on the back under the engine.
rick.

Name:	Fd91055.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	850993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94730.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	850994  
Old 01-14-2008, 04:49 PM
n8mkr

ORIGINAL: rickster3057

Hey badass, thanks for the filler answer, i will go get some wednesday for my twin hulled airboat.

Hey, N8MKR, if you go to tower hobbies look under the aeroplane accesories they do a waterproof switch and charge port, you could fit it to the top decking,it has a rubber cover, i used one on my airboat and ran it on water in snow and on wet grass and never had a problem with it.
Rick.
Rick:

Could you please send me a link on the precise item you are talking about?
[email protected]

Thanx,

John
Old 01-14-2008, 05:14 PM
rickster3057

hi john i sure will, have to hunt it down first .
rick.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:25 PM
rickster3057

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MPX-UNI-SWITCH...QQcmdZViewItem

Hi john, couldnt find it in the tower hobbies store but found one on ebay,hope this helps,
Rick.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Dartman1074

Sure all post are welcome. Pic's are good too I enjoy reading and seeing how every ones boat is coming along. I have been trying to get my boat done I started on it a long time ago and now just got back to working on it again..
Old 01-15-2008, 05:12 AM
noahdear
My Feedback: (2)

Dubro make a quite good switch as well. They call it the Kwik-switch and it comes in 2 versions, 1 with a charging port and the other without. I use the basic one on my airboat.
[link]http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/865576.asp[/link]
Old 01-19-2008, 10:09 PM
WFOWRX

Great thread guys-I too am building a BSB. Going to mount the sponson tops and top deck soon. I plan on doing away with the "cockpit" area for the same reasons stated before. No major problems with the build so far, despite the terrible directions supplied by Dumas. Keeping the frame square has provided some issues, but careful clamping and some extra time spent lining things up has worked well. I like the idea of using bondo to fill seems and such-should work as long as there isn't too much flexing of the hull. Which leads me to the question of finishing the boat. After filling and sanding, what are you guys going to use to seal and paint your hulls? An automotive (urethane) system would be ideal, but far to costly in my opinion. After all the effort, I don't want my paint softening because the nitro fuel isn't compatible with the finish. Incidentally, rattle cans would be my second choice, spraying being my prefered method.
Thanks, Greg
Old 01-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Dartman1074

WFOWRX

Welcome to the forum, I am going to paint my BSB with rattle cans, In a Camo color. Im not sure what I am going to put over it to protect it more. Dont forget to post some pictures of ur build every one here would like to see how its coming along...

Tim
Old 01-21-2008, 10:40 AM
n8mkr

Greg:

I am coating the entire boat with epoxy, the 20min finish cure variety even before I paint anything. After several coats of that I will sand it smooth and paint whichever parts I decide to. I am painting some of my hull but leaving some natural; I haven't worked all this out yet but have some ideas. You have several options with your paint as I see it. 1) Use whatever paint you like then seal it with epoxy or polyester resin, or 2) use the Testors Pactra paint either in the spray can or bottle by airbrush (Testors Pactra is fuel safe), or 3) coat your paintjob with a fuel safe clear coat like LustreKote from the MonoKote company, 4) or use the colored LustreKote paint by the MonoKote company which is itself fuel safe.

I have some colors in the Testors enamel that I am fond of and may end up using which are definately not fuel safe, but once sealed with one method or another, no problem.

John

PS. I am wondering how far along you are. I have some tips as you go for some of the steps. One you can see from my pix is to hold off on the top deck until last or close to last. I think it leaves you more options as you go. My front deck is going to be the last thing I put on.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:59 AM
mjderstine

Hi guys,

this is a great forum for the BSB. I had one growing up that my father made for me and my brother. We used an O.S. .60 on it and pretty much ran it ragged. I wish i had a picture of the BSB to show you all.
We used it on snow and on water. Snow was the most fun and the fastest because of the reduced friction. We had to make the Aerial rudders twice the size because the turning radius on snow was over 100 feet. It just wouldnt turn well. It was similar on the water but a little better.
To fix the problem on water we mounted a small rudder extension that protruded into the water. It greatly increased slow speed maneuvering.

My latest news is that I got a brand new BSB for Christmas from my brother, and I will be making some major modifications. Attached is a small paint representation of what my plans are. Pardon the rough sketch please...
I plan to use elec motors in a pusher/puller configuration. I have to use elec because of noise constraints.
the next mod will be a transom, or small middle hull mounted on the rear with a water rudder assembly mounted through it. I am planning this modification to the kit because with a pusher puller setup the rear Aerial rudders will be close to impossible to install.

Comments and questions are welcome.
-Mike

Name:	Bz78693.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	859623  
Old 01-25-2008, 09:06 PM
WFOWRX

Thanks for the quick replies. Things have been cold and snowy here in northern Illinois, and that means alot of extra work for me, hence my lack of participation here.
I've done some more research as far as finishing goes, and like the sound of the Topflite LustreKote system. I'm wondering if I can spray LK color, accent with Fascolor (a water based paint for Lexan RC car bodies) and top it all with a gloss LK clear to give it a nice durable shine. I'll have to spray some test panels to be sure it's all compatible.
The wood still needs to be sealed before anyting goes on it, and for that I may use Midwest Aerogloss sanding sealer, or equivalent. Not really sure about compatibility with these products though.
n8mkr-using epoxy or 'glass resin will certainly yield a bullet proof coating in all respects, but for me they are too heavy and hard to sand. I'm a bit of a perfomance freak, so weight matters alot to me.
mjderstine-sounds like a great project. I admire your ambition to start by modifying a kit-I'm just trying to make mine a working example of something that is known to already work. Hope you get into Lipos and brushless for power. Good luck.
Is there a tutorial on how to post photos?
Greg
Old 01-25-2008, 10:34 PM
mjderstine

photos are easy, as long as you ahve them saved on your computer. when you post a reply there is a link to UPLOAD PHOTOS.

just use that.

i had a swamp buggy years ago. so i wanted to try something a little different because of the noise pollution in my community.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Dartman1074

Hello Every One.

No one has posted in a while, Every one stop working on there BSB? I know I have. I have been spending to much time and money on my car. Trying to get it back up and running. With no luck at all. I spent a crap load of money on it and now it might as well be used as scrap lol.... Well maybe I should just get back to the BSB alot more fun and cheaper to work on lol...

Tim
Old 02-14-2008, 09:58 AM
mjderstine

i am going to open my box and start working on it soon. i just have to setup my work space.

its going to be great when i start building it.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:14 PM
mjderstine

ORIGINAL: noahdear

I've been looking at your underside fotos and they got me wondering do these boats slide when cornering, or corner like on rails like other cat hulls do? I've never seen one in action mainly because BSBs aren't sold in Australia as far as I am aware. Is [link=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7N0Zrhu2AZM]this[/link] a BSB?

that is most definitely NOT a BSB. the engine mount is not the same. the hull is completely different. the rudders are completely different. Looks like one of these to me.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMPJ7&P=7

i am building my second BSB now, and can post some pics in a little bit. how are yours holding up guys? this thing is like builing a kitchen cabinet.

Name:	Pn37363.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	921144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55511.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	921145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16990.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	921146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69852.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	921147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75156.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	921148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw20573.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	921149  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.