Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Carolina SI build

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 07:31 PM
asmithnc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carolina SI build

I could not wait for the laser cut version to come out so I had Chris cut me one instead. She should be ready for the water in a week or so.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:02 PM
rickburnout666

Default RE: Carolina SI build

Lookin good, whats the size, and what engine are you using ? for some strange reason it makes me think "scorpion" [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 05-16-2007, 08:20 PM
asmithnc

Thanks Rick.

This has been a great kit to build. It even has the fun factor built into it. Here power plant is a OS.46 AX (BUT) she will also handle a .61. Since it been a very easy build I can't remember the spec. The only time I pulled out a measuring tape was setting the rudder. Everything was layed out perfectly for me.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Selph-Inflicted

Andy, you've done a fine job putting it together! Your right, this boat is not only fun to build but is very simple to put together. Every piece has its resting spot already laid out for you. Its like painting by numbers, just put the piece on the lines which are on the deck. You are going to enjoy running this boat. It is fast, stable, and very controllable. Can't wait for June to run with ya! [8D][8D]

Rick, if your interested in seeing this boat in action, here is a few links for you. These videos are from the very first 3 pointer I made. The boat Andy has is the predecessor to the first. I have a laser cut kit coming out in the near future of this design.

[link=http://www.rc-airboats.com/gallery/albums/ABW-Videos/First_SI_3_Pointer.wmv]Maiden Voyage of the first prototype.[/link]
Some adjustments have been made from this original prototype.

[link=http://www.rc-airboats.com/gallery/albums/Chris-Selph/43_3_SI_3_Pointer.wmv]My first 3 pointer hitting 43.3 mph.[/link]

Andy, keep up the good work!! You know I just thought of something......I see an Evo 1.0 in the picture. I wonder how that would act on the 3 pointer? [8D]
Old 05-17-2007, 07:48 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SI, I'm seeing some design flaws, you may want to reconsider before a customer gets something that is not what is expected. Just trying to give some friendly advice, if you want it or not its up to you.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:00 AM
asmithnc

ORIGINAL: Mr Cajun Gator

SI, I'm seeing some design flaws, you may want to reconsider before a customer gets something that is not what is expected.trying to
The only design flaw I see is the Boat stand. Since it's not glued it may fall part during transport the to Flordia meet in June. That's what you get when your a master builder in your own mind!!!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Ok I tried to help, just trying to get things back civil.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:36 AM
asmithnc

Ok I tried to help, just trying to get things back civil.
Not tring to block progress but the stand is the only thing I have seen wrong todate with the build.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Selph-Inflicted

Hal,

Proof is in the pudding, apparently you didn’t watch the videos posted above, if you did you would see how the prototype ran. I have already built the laser kit and ran it. It runs like a champ. I agree with Andy, the only flaw I see is the boat stand not being glued.

Yes, I did make a few changes from the prototype to the laser cut kit. But the changes were not on the sponsons or tub, which is the most critical part of the boat. The laser kit performs just as well as the prototype. I'll be posting vids as soon as my camera man is available.

Andy, sorry your thread is getting off track.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

I'm trying to give some profession advice, not trying to down your work, or hurt your sells.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:39 PM
asmithnc

Almost finished with the build. Rounding the fourth turn.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:20 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Man that thing looks sharp. Now I understand how this hull type is built, after seeing the last picture you posted, it's just like a normal 3-pointer with a piece of cut out plywood on top.

Are there any advantages to this version of a 3-point boat compared to the more common version without the extra piece of plywood?

So with the rudder, are you trying to get the advantage of not only the water but also the air off the prop, like combining to methods of a rudder?

Good luck I hope she runs great
Old 05-30-2007, 05:07 AM
saleens7

the advantage of the ply on top is to deflect water spray from getting to the prop and it will also help lift the hull out of the water when its still speeding up...similar to how air passing through the tunnel of a catamaran will help lift the hull out of the water...
Old 05-30-2007, 06:56 AM
Selph-Inflicted

Andy, I like the paint. Your gonna like this boat!!

I have been working on this design for a while now ( 8 MONTHS) and have it perfected IT. Don't get it confused with other designs that have not even been tested or built. This is a tested and designed kit.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:08 PM
asmithnc

ORIGINAL: 500 lb. koolaid man

So with the rudder, are you trying to get the advantage of not only the water but also the air off the prop, like combining to methods of a rudder?

Good luck I hope she runs great
Great question. Since it is a kit I will speak for the builder. The rudder was designed for either a water or air rudder (per) builders option. The long water rudder may have some affect by the prop wash but I would not think it would help. I will run it first with the water rudder then decide if a air/ water rudder would help. I want this boat to become a race boat only so a water rudder will most likely stay.

Just made two mods on the boat. Changed the radio box lid opening and gave the rudder a break-away. The mod on the lid used materials in the kit and the break away cost me $1.17 extra.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

ORIGINAL: 500 lb. koolaid man

Man that thing looks sharp. Now I understand how this hull type is built, after seeing the last picture you posted, it's just like a normal 3-pointer with a piece of cut out plywood on top.
I think the carbon tubes you are looking at are add ons, to help stop some of the warping, of the plywood deck.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:03 PM
asmithnc

I think the carbon tubes you are looking at are add ons, to help stop some of the warping, of the plywood deck.
The deck is not plywood it's Luan. The high humidity here in NC helped in the warping. The carbon tubes fixed the warping and now she is flat as a pancake.

I'm sure if I had on of the new laser cut kit ( birch ply ) I would not have had this problem.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:37 PM
rcairboat_girl

I'm new to this, but isn't luan layers of wood pressed together? I may be wrong but that sounds the same as plywood? Does the birch ply hold up better in the humidity than any other ply?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Lester Burch

I live Florida and have a problem with Birch plywood warping . I have used birch plywood make my pluges so i can make my molds for my fiberglass airboats. So i know it will warp to in high humidity
Old 05-31-2007, 07:09 AM
Selph-Inflicted

I have no problems with my Birch warping or separating.

If you use Luan, you have to be a little careful.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:35 AM
asmithnc

ORIGINAL: rcairboat_girl

I'm new to this, but isn't luan layers of wood pressed together? I may be wrong but that sounds the same as plywood? Does the birch ply hold up better in the humidity than any other ply?
Your right luan is a plywood. I was wrong. Luan seems to be a little more sensitive to mositure than say a birch. The flexable nature of the luan contributes to the easier warping due to moisture. I have also had problems with birch warping but it's the smaller ply's. 1/16 3/32 and the 1/8. If you took a 1/4 samples of both wood types the luan would warp first IMO.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Selph-Inflicted

While Andy was down for the RCAA Meet, we took some video footage. Here is a video of him dialing in his "SI" 3 Pointer. There is more footage that will come also.

[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/YQH1MJ8L52H0Z3X7]Andy's "SI" 3 Pointer[/link]
Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Bradh2000

Great video ! I am not used to seeing Andy back off the throttle in the turns [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

I will hopefully have my SI3 ready for a NC mini meet soon [8D]
Old 06-15-2007, 07:49 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Nice to see that you all had a good time at the RCAA meet, did you all have races? If so how did your boat place?
Old 06-16-2007, 11:50 AM
asmithnc

Nice to see that you all had a good time at the RCAA meet, did you all have races? If so how did your boat place?
Yes, Mr Gator we all did have a great time. The best part was meeting a lot of our member in person for the first time. We, at first spent most of our morning talking an looking over each others boats. Since some of us have never run with other airboats it was nice to see multipule boats out at once. We even had some new people show up who were only interested in pleasure running and not racing. With this said we all decided to change the schedule. We did more Challange racing with the combo of pleasure running. When challenged to a race others would bring in their boats so the racing could start.

How did my boat place..... the SI three pointer was hard too beat.

So who won...... We all did.

Some of the RCAA guys were talking about comming to a MABA race so the two can have a great time racing. Watcha think!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.