Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

parts needed??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:48 PM
atvracer87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parts needed??

im working on a electric (not brushless) airboat and i already got some parts i know for sure i need.but can some1 give me the rest of the basic parts i need 2 get this thing runnin.
here are the parts i got:
1.reciever
2.servo
3.linkage for rudder
4.rudder
5.battery pack
6.waterproof box for electric stuff
7.controller
thats all i got for now.im not sure size electric motor i need im prolly gonna be runnin a 8inx12in styro foam hull.and if any1 can think of anything elese for this thing 2 run plz list.
PS.wat would b the best kind of foam to use for the hull. thx every1 in advance
Old 06-15-2007, 06:25 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: parts needed??

First ... you need that expensive part called a ESC ( electronic speed control - the do-hicky that controls the speeds being varied for an electric motor )

Next ... the good foam is the pink or blue stuff that you can buy for insulation at lumber yards . ( it comes in sheets - usually normal size - 4 ft by 8 ft > but > does come in larger chunks and comes in various thickness's )

control horns
on/off switch
two part epoxy to cover the foam and to mount/hold the engine stand to the main body

And ....
thats basically it . With the last exception ... which HAS to be there ... otherwise take three steps back ... drop the WHOLE ENTIRE idea .
Do with having FUN in mind . If you can't have fun , then it doesn't need to be done .

Keep us posted and hopefully , post some pics of your progress .
Old 06-16-2007, 07:58 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can also uise white insulation foam its not as smooth to work with and will need a good coating of epoxy but its ok to use as ive used it for nitro airboats although i did use something to sheet the bottom to make it stronger and for running on grass etc.to shape it i use a sharp knife and an orbital sander seems to work well enough and the heat created by the sander closes the beads up a little as the white foam isnt as dense.use a small piece of plywood same width as boat and upto the front edge of where your mount will be and epoxy this to the hull for mounting your engine mount which i make from ali this is then screwed down to the plywood.heres a cpl of pics of my old one ignore the servos mounted to the mount not a good idea when it flips!! stick everything in a water tight box .or get some corrosion x and treat your electrics with it inside just in case.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63927.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	704920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47013.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	704921  
Old 06-16-2007, 11:37 AM
atvracer87

thx guys hopefully i can get this thing dun by next week or 2.and is there any particular sized motro i need for it 2 run on land?
Old 06-16-2007, 09:09 PM
alloutcustom

unless it is brushless or your running on ice. i dont think you will have much luck running on land
Old 06-17-2007, 09:55 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Brushed motors don't seem to have the "umph" that brushless do ( at least , this is my observations from viewing vids - not from my own experience )
Old 06-17-2007, 12:17 PM
rickburnout666

I`ve tried using brushed motors before, and like TERBObob said they just dont have the "umph" they dont rev as high as the brushless ones, plus the motors i tried didnt have enough torque to spin a big prop at speed either. I tried many car/buggy/boat and airplane 540`s
Nitro or brushless would be my choice, but if you get a brushed motor setup worked out , let us know your secrets.
Good luck[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 06-17-2007, 08:46 PM
atvracer87

well guess i need a brushless
Old 06-18-2007, 03:22 AM
rickburnout666

Heres a link to another airboat, the design is different, the normal brushed motor works ok on it .
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5967859/tm.htm