Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

.46 Vortex (Pro Boat)

Old 07-26-2007, 07:44 PM
ZACATTACK
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .46 Vortex (Pro Boat)

Anyone please give me feedback on this airboat, how fast will it go,durability,can i put in the .52NX engine, I need opions on it, I wanna buy a fast RTR Airboat, Help pleeze!!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:15 PM
alloutcustom

Default RE: .46 Vortex (Pro Boat)

Just make one, way more fun and you'll get a feeling of accomplishment
Old 07-26-2007, 09:45 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Full review on the Vortex .46 http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=581

Also check out the Aquaraft AirForce, full review here http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=570

I agree with alloutcustom, building an airboat is even better. Here's the boat I'm currently building, the Cajun Gator Jr. 24" http://cajungatorairboats.com/v-web/...dd1f44ed663aef
Old 07-26-2007, 09:48 PM
ZACATTACK
Banned

I dont know much about Air Boats! Is this a fast reliablr boat! Is there a better RTR Air Boat I can buy! I read the article,doesnt tell anything about performane, HELP!!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

ORIGINAL: ZACATTACK

I dont know much about Air Boats! Is this a fast reliablr boat! Is there a better RTR Air Boat I can buy! I read the article,doesnt tell anything about performane, HELP!!
"I read the article,doesnt tell anything about performane, HELP!!" Yes, it does. Read "on the water". And please stop using exclamation marks, it makes it look like you are angry and screaming.

Do some more research. There is no "perfect boat". They all have there own advantages and disadvantages. The two airboats that I posted info on are the two RTR airboats to choose from. I don't know of any other and I really don't think there are any.

You also asked about the speed of the vortex .46, there's a video in that review, what you see is what you get. Same thing with the aquacraft airforce, there's a video in its review too. I'm sure both of these boats are reliable. They are both made by good brands, and offer reasonable speed however neither are rockets. I am sure though that either boat that if you buy either boat and treat it with respect, including proper break in and all that, it will last a long time. I have heard recently, "don't buy a pro boat, they're garbage." a few places here on RCU but I'm not sure if that really applies to their airboat.

I googled the "company claimed" speeds for you:
Vortex 30+mph $270
Airforce 35+mph $210

I personally would choose the Aquacraft Airforce, not just because of the speed. See if you can get a second opinion on that though.

Welcome to rc airboats

Old 07-27-2007, 06:23 PM
vamp131

It looks a real fine boat I fancy one myself but it has a water rudder not a great idea for an air boat an air rudder way better

the ponds i go to have more weeds than water lol i have a few non air boats but the props and rudders just get caught up with weeds great thing with an air rudder you start the boat give it power it go,s in the water itself if you going to buy one get a gator boat they the best you can buy get a nice wooden one rather than plastic a gator boat will last you forever a plastic one will last till you hit something as they go very fast get a gator boat fit a 61 you never look back

check out his shop http://cajungatorairboats.com/
Old 11-20-2007, 03:38 PM
n8mkr

I own one of these boats and it is very fun. I think the 3 blade prop that it comes with could be better. I just put a APC 11-8 on mine but have'nt run it yet. I love the boat!! I am using Wildcat Eliminator RTR 20/18 fuel and Wildcat Youngblood Helimix 30/23 fuel. It is a great RTR boat. Bummer is the water rudder. Althought it gives you great performance in the water, you cannot run it on the snow without modification to an air rudder. Also, don't run it up on shore. My daughter broke my rudder off shortly after I got it.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:08 AM
n8mkr

The Vortex sports an Evolution .46 engine with a flywheel. Does anyone have any feelings on the fact that the engine has a flywheel. I took mine off, then put it right back on. I think in this application it is better left on. I think it ads momentum to the blade making it harder to stall when the prop sucks water. I have no empirical evidence for that, just a hunch. Any thoughts?

John
Old 12-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Jim10

Anyone know of a metal rudder for the Vortex? Sharpened, it should increase speed. I just got my vortex today and am very happy with the ease of handling, starting and NO Flex Shaft to worry about. Would like to do some small mods to increase speed but am still happy with the boat. I have several RTR's and love to tinker with speed.

As far as being a Proboat.......they have the BEST service around. I have a problem, I call them and they make it right. My local retail store just looks at me and says "call Horizon Hobby". Their service is the best.l