Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

First attempt to build..questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Gary496

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First attempt to build..questions

I have some 40 size glow engines and some radio gear from my re-kitted planes. I would like to use a OS 40La. I've been reading some of the threads and I think my boat should be in the 30x18 in. range. I plan on using 1/6 in. lite ply. Would this size be in the ball park? Also, from all pics, it looks like the radio antenna are very short, how is this acomplished? Do the engines require down or right thrust? I also have a Tower 46 that I could use. Any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks

gary
Old 12-10-2007, 02:05 PM
jasperrc

Default RE: First attempt to build..questions

My .40 size boats are in the range of 11 or 12 inches wide x 24 or so long. If you use that .46, you could go 13 or 14 inches wide and 28 or so long.

I've heard about angling the engine, but initially I would center it, especially vertically, then adjust as necessary.

As for antenna length, mine are extended as far as they can go. It may be that the ground radios we have just use shorter antennas.

Which brings up another point. If the aircraft radios you have are not on the shared frequencies, they shouldn't be used on surface craft. They operate on different frequencies than those approved for surface use. Here's a link to a frequency chart.
[link]http://www.teamrcpilot.com/chart.html[/link]

Hope this helps!

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a set of [link=http://cajungatorairboats.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=54]Basic Plans[/link] for the size engines that you have. The .40 will make for a better first boat and the .46 on this boat will give you wild speed.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Gary496

Jasper
I realize ground and air freq. are different. I was going to use the boat on my own property without any problems of interfence, so I thought , no problem?

Gator, thanks for the plans. Will not be reporting any progress until spring as I'm leaving for Fla. soon, and have no building space there.

Gary
Old 12-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Gary496

Jasper
I realize ground and air freq. are different. I was going to use the boat on my own property without any problems of interference, so I thought , no problem?

Gator, thanks for the plans. Will not be reporting any progress until spring as I'm leaving for Fla. soon, and have no building space there.

Gary
Old 12-11-2007, 05:51 PM
vamp131

engine angled a bit pointing down if its a puller as my 1st air boat i made by myself kept sinking it was down to the angle of the engine it wanted to be a submarine lol

the hull the i have just now i fitted a new engine had to change the angle as the nose did not go up wants to go up to go over weeds etc but do a gator hull the best you can get any problems with the build he will help you
Old 12-12-2007, 01:46 PM
jasperrc

ORIGINAL: Gary496

Jasper
I realize ground and air freq. are different. I was going to use the boat on my own property without any problems of interference, so I thought , no problem?
Not everyone knows, so I thought I would mention it. I didn't know until I got a good chewing out from the guy at my LHS.