RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

problem with pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:55 AM
nick34
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with pressure

hey guys having a problem with getting my motor to start than when it does it doesnt run right my tank is below the engine someone told me to add a header tank any other ideas
Old 02-18-2008, 11:06 AM
500 lb. koolaid man

Default RE: problem with pressure

At least be sure that the tank placement is at fault, have someone hold it for you level with the engine and see what happens. Some people make a long engine mount and attach the tank to it, level with the engine.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:13 PM
crispyspa

I too had that problem, my tank is mounted inside the hull and there wasn't enough pressure to force the fuel to the engine. I installed a [link=http://www.perrypumps.com/prod02.htm]Perry VP-30 Regulating pump[/link] Works fine now.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:56 PM
nick34

yea it ran fine with the tank on top but i was worried about cg but i installed it on top and it ran fine screams like a scalded ape lol!!! ran in neighbors pool
ran awsome taking it to lake next weekend will try to video it and post pics thanks for all your help guys
Old 03-01-2008, 08:49 PM
vamp131

Hi i got my air boat it had the tank inside the hull the tank was huge it had a perry pump worked great untill one day just stopped no fuel so opened up the hull bloody tank was leaking so got a new tank i fitted a small header tank to keep the weight down it was no good so i have 6 oz tank same hight as the carb power went up straight away as it was getting fuel its a huge hull so i can get away with it another way is mount your tank up top turn your engine upside down keeps the boat from being top heavy just need to get a remote wire for the glow plug oi have a perry pump if you want it as i not use it
Old 03-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main thing that a header tank is good for, is preventing air getting into the fuel line, from the tank being shook around. Before you go out and buy a pump, try opening your low end needle. This allows extra negative pressure from the tank. I have used the perry pumps before and they do work great, but the crank case must be drilled and tapped to connect a line to the pump. Only trouble I had with the pump was this line coming off.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:49 PM
nick34

ok been awhile i have done alot mounted tank on top no problems took it out last weekend ran fine other than bouncing real bad in the front and the turns were tricky either spun out or wanted to flip never did though i was so nervous taking it out for the first time it got some air but luckily i was quick and throttled down anyways build new motor mount little lower and shorter moved engine back 2 inches and tilted it up a few degrees took it out again and the bouncing was alot better but now im having problems with it running its like its starving for fuel its will go w.o.t. then start to loose power and almost die i get it back on land and it runs fine back in the water it will run fine a couple of burst then start to bog out is it because the motor is tilted up ??? should i raise the tank a little?? was gonna try but the worst happed i ran out of nitro NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:25 AM
boatman1

As there are many factors to this problem
A picture would make suggestions much more easier to help
At this time , a low needle adjustment may be needed ??
Old 03-04-2008, 09:59 PM
jasperrc

Nitro motors typically need to be retuned when the the weather changes, the tank size and/or position changes, or anything else that could change the fuel mixure. I'd try opening up the high speed needle a little. Also, the amount of fuel in the tank can affect running so tune with a half tank of fuel. Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[link=http://cajungatorairboats.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=47&sid=5002cadd078079d177c04c0b84d61a5e]Engine kills or lacks power at WOT[/link]
There are other very good tips on this page, that may help with other troubles.