Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

fast lil swamp buggy

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 02:32 AM
Matts175

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fast lil swamp buggy

It arrived and lets just say the first kitI got was an "F" and this kit is a "C-". Still looks like they cut it with a chainsaw, but at least they sharpened the chainsaw when they made this kit. Also, nothing was broken this time.I have the 'frame' all built. I started working on it and couldn't putit down.I had tomake a lot of things fit,but I got it. I ordered a 2200 11.1v LiPo for it now that the frame is together and I was able to get some measurments. My 4000 LiPo actually fits in it, but that's way to heavy for this little boat.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Matts175

UPDATE:

I worked on it for about 6 hours today. I ended upditching a lot of the crappy wood that came with the kit. I went up to my LHS and bought 12 bucks worth of really nice wood. The deck is now one solid peice instead of 6 pcs. I think it looks much nicer that way. Tomorrow is sand and painting day. it's going to be mostly yellow with a black rudder and black motor mount.

Here are some pics of where I'm at. I hope the motor shows up tommorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38767.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1303397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31774.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1303398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75254.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1303399  
Old 01-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Matts175

Guys... thanks for the help. I finally got to run today (in the snow). This thing is tons of fun. I'm going back out in a little bit for some more play time.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:19 PM
insalacosm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does the motor react to the moisture of the snow? I use electric power in my RC airplanes but am hesitant to use it in my swamp buggy because I'm concerned the snow will kill the motor.
Steve
Old 01-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Matts175

So far so good. I ran 4 full packs through it today. Been playing with it off and on all day. The snow doesn't seem to affect the motor at all. The snow is really powdery right now so a lot has been chucked up into the prop. About 5 or 6 times I flipped it and the motor was completely buried in snow. I flipped it back over and it took right off again every time. So miuch wind comes off of this thing, I think it instantly dries itself. The motors are only $9.95 each anyways. If it gets ruined by the snow, it won't be that much of a wallet breaker to get another.

EDIT: I probably could have gotten away with the next smaller kv motor down. This thing is wayyyy overpowered and you have to drive it at 3/4 throttle otherwise, it's crazy fast. Problem solved by turning the knob on the remote down a bit.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Matts175

Ignore the bare wires at the motor connection. I ordered good connectors for it the other day and they are on the way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44515.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1354838  
Old 01-14-2010, 09:17 PM
jasperrc

Nice looking boat and it sounds like you are having a blast. Great combo!
Old 01-15-2010, 01:40 AM
Matts175

ORIGINAL: jasperrc

Nice looking boat and it sounds like you are having a blast. Great combo!
Thanks for the compliment. Yesterday I fooled around with a bunch of different props. It liked a 6 x 3 the best. That one even worked better than the manufacturer's recommended 5 x 5. I'm sure every application is different though. I tried up to a 6 x 5, but it was actually slower and killed the battery in 10 minutes. With the 6 x 3, I held the nose of the boat against the palm of my hand with the boat 90 degrees vertical and it actaully hovered like a helicopter! Wish I could have had that on video.