Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Project... maybe...

I run my antenna inside a plastic tube, and tie it with plastic ties.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jg14194.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	977372  
    Over the years I have spent nearly all of my money on boats, beer, and women. The rest of it I just wasted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i get this really nice antenna that costs like 15 bucks and works great. you just sodder the originall antenna wire to the part of the new one and its great sry for the bad description but i cant think right now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mr. ilikehelp

i get this really nice antenna that costs like 15 bucks and works great. you just sodder the originall antenna wire to the part of the new one and its great sry for the bad description but i cant think right now.

I tried one once on an FM set up, followed the instructions and I must have lost about 400 feet of range.

this is the one I had.
    After all is said and done, more is said than done.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well, I went with the simple antenna-in-tube solution and finished the boat up. I will have some pictures as time permits (I now have a job YAY!)
    after float tests in the bathtub, the boat has a 1/4" draft fully loaded, and seems to want to get on plane too, but I have a little nagging doubt in the back of my head that I will not get enough thrust out of my motor setup. I will go to the nearest lake and test (This time, NO jetskiers allowed within a half-mile radius )
    maybe have a vid, even if we are lacking in power department... I have worked too much on this to give up, and this will (not?) be my second failure (the first one is always the hardest to get over) so if the boat can't get on plane, then I am going with a plain old water prop.

pics tomorrow!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

here are some pics:

Name:	Yw68929.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	980114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf13496.jpg 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	980115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl20548.jpg 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	980116  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[sm=what_smile.gif] That looks good!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you!

I hope looks will translate into performance!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I went and tested the boat at a local pond and what can I say... wow is that thing fun and rewarding to drive!!!

It gets on plane nice and easily and turns very predictably, no signs of flipping!
    I declare this project a sucess!!!!

...on the other hand, it could go a bit faster and have a tighter turn radiud, but that can all be corrected in due time.

on a less cheerful note, I did the first run, then for the second I asked my dad to tape it... guess what? the prop flies off (you can see the lines I made from the previous run in the muck) and now I have an excuse to visit the LHS to buy one with a bit bigger pitch (or maybe even a 3 bladed one - the motor I was running seemed to be getting up to revs and not heating up, so it can't hurt to try a more agressive pitch)

SHORT vid of prop flying off

but to keep you guys occupied, I took a dry run video earlier at full throttle in the hallway, its also kinda short.

Dry running

overall, I am very satisfied as to how this project turned out, be expecting more (and longer) vids with other updates... I ain't done with her yet!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I have decided to revisit this thread again, after diverting to other mini threads to show progress on the boat. This will be the third year that she is running and I am ready for a complete redo. (well, maybe not COMPLETE complete, but it will be major)

It is also my birthday today, and I know what I am getting - a full BL setup, just for the boat. This may take a while to get from Hong Kong, but the money that I saved is worth the wait. I have seen some of CLD's electric airboats, and was inspired to pick the speed up a bit. Prior to the makeover, I was running a 5700 kv motor on 2s (42180rpm unloaded) - way too high of a kv and a bit too much amp draw for my liking... The motor and esc thermaled a few times so I decided that this setup would have to go.
    Instead, here is what I ordered:
    www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp

This setup should get me somewhere around a 1:1 thrust:weight ratio. only problem with this additional power and weight - I am going to need to modify the hull and reinforce critical areas. I am not sure what I will do yet, but my best guess would be ripping out the frame from the transome up to the halfway point of the boat. I will replace the plywood formers with solid 1/4" balsa sheet, increasing structural rigidity. Then I will make a set of anchor points for the motor mount/stand, and have them attached to the bottom hull, frame, and top deck in such a way that it will be impossible for them to break loose. I might even integrate a battery mount into this area. The top deck, instead of being the 1/32" plywood skin, will be a 1/2" plywood sheet, with non-structural areas thinned with a router to save weight. Overall, a 2 pound hull is what I am looking for, and 1.5 pounds of electronics should land me my 1:1 ratio. I have gotten significantly better with my tolerances, so everything will fit tightly and interlock. Depending on whether my electronics get here, I may be on the water by the end of the month.

Progress pics coming shortly, this should be a good makeover!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you saved that much for electronics and want a major makeover, then I would suggest to build the whole hull again from scratch with the modifications you had in mind for current hull. As the wood costs less than e.g. the price of the lipo and less stressfull carfully peeling off the skin of the old hull.
    Formers from 1/4 balsa and 1/32 ply for the skin. Reinforce the bottom at the anchor points.
    Seal inside the hull with epoxy or polyurethane resin, put poolnoodles or rigid polyurethane foam in the compartments you don't stick electronics or mechanical stuff, it provides strength, buoyancy(saving your hard saved components in a crash), and sound deadening(if that is needed??).
    Skin the top and seal the oustside of the hull with epoxy and some thin glass fabric.
    .....just my 2 cents

Btw. what size prop are you using?

grtz. Ronald

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well, that was what I was thinking prior to taking a good look at the hull... but now that I think of it, it was a very well made boat, and is very strong (to my surprise)
    - good call on the pool noodles, I forgot about them, but now that I think about it, I will put them into the side areas (the ones that come in at an angle)
    - about re-skinning the boat - I am not doing the whole thing, just the electronics compartment and where the motor will be mounted. The rest is allready 1/32" ply and 1/4" balsa with ply ribs going lengthwise - so hopefully not as much stress!

- about props, I have a lot of props lying around, ballanced and ready. I am thinking of starting with a 9x7 (a bit on the small side) and am willing to go up to a 12x6 if needed.

thank you for your reply - those pool noodles may end up saving my $$$ some day!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now, some updates... tearing up the boat was a lot of fun!
    Took off the top ply skin and found one of the plywood ribs cracked (a bit too many lightening holes I suppose)
    spent about an hour trying to rip those out of the hull - man they are strong!
    then replaced them with solid balsa - in its current stage, the hull supported 100 pounds of downward force... I didn't have enough weights to go any further
    and yes, right behind that balsa walls are pool noodles, and they do in fact add quite a bit of support for the sides. I have enough of them in there to keep 10 pounds of stuff afloat. (bathtub tested)
    hardwood strakes were added to the bottom and tested recently with great results, so I will not touch them.

I am currently working on the anchor points for the engine stand... should be finished in a few hours!

Name:	Ec88284.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	305.9 KB 
ID:	1392128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn40163.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	1392129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jo31444.jpg 
Size:	410.7 KB 
ID:	1392130  

Take a look at Claserdesigns anarchy airboat and how perfect it is he is also perfecting a gasser size airboat around 42" I think you might want to look into the precision and time he puts into his work you will be impressed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am well aware of what CLD and my "elders" are doing and they are my inspiration. I only hope to build with the skill that they posess, however, there are some limiting factors in that. I, for one, do not have a CNC, mill, or laser cutter, which takes down precision dramaticaly. However, I do have age as one of my advantages, and hopefully I will be able to learn from what they have to offer.

anyways...

on a another note, here is my completed engine stand mount, 1/2" ply and 1/4" balsa were used to make this as sturdy as it would need to be... I may have gotten a bit carried away (it is still very light though). This will serve as an anchor point for the engine stand, which I will build to accomodate motor/prop setups. It will be attached to the bottom of the hull, with a CA joint reinforced by fiberglass strips. It will also serve as one of the bulkheads, dispersing the force of the motor's pull through out the frame and hull evenly. This mount is about as perfect as I can get it - using a jig saw, drillpress, and sander.

BTW, it will also allow me to have a wide range of battery mounting spots (it just slides into the enclosure) to help with ballancing.

Name:	ki20492.jpg 
Size:	455.2 KB 
ID:	1393617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fa85861.jpg 
Size:	400.2 KB 
ID:	1393618   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ze86250.jpg 
Size:	331.1 KB 
ID:	1393619  

And a hole saw lol but it looks nice

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah... or whatever you call this thing

btw, didn't mean to sound snobbish or anything in the previous post... If it was interpreted as such...
    **bows to the airboat modellers of the world**

Name:	Yv66064.jpg 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	1393635  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You didn't come across as snobbish.

That is a Forstner bit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ah, thank you, I had no clue what to call it, and couldn't find an image of it on google so was hoping someone would pipe up and help me out.
    LOL, I've got tools that I use everyday without knowing thier names!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay, was pondering an interesting little subject... Brakes.

Any of you high speed nitro guys have any ideas on this? I understand this may not be very usefull if you run races around a course with defined boundaries, but for me, running on a river, it is an interesting option. My take on it is such: I am running towards the shore and due to my bad driving and lack of practice do not realise I am going to run aground until it is too late. I try turning and doing a 180 but am going too fast to finish the maneuver in time. The boat slams into the rocky shore and I have a jolly good time trying to pick up all of the pieces downstream.

If I had another servo (high torque) which lowered a sort of scooping mechanism off the back of the transom, I would have been able to stop (in theory...)
    I got this idea after my dad showed me what would happen if you deployed a reverse gate on a jet boat going 35 mph... stopped in about 1/3 of the distance.

Is this one of those ideas that sounds good in my head an doesn't work in reality, or perhaps isn't necesarry? Or is it feasible?
    Your thoughs?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very nice looking build, just finished reading it all!

I wouldn't waste time with a brake, If you have enough time to react and activate that third channel, then you should have enough forsite and time to avoid these instances!
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: b16a2sir

Very nice looking build, just finished reading it all!

I wouldn't waste time with a brake, If you have enough time to react and activate that third channel, then you should have enough forsite and time to avoid these instances!
    I agree.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, then, that saves me the effort of building it! Still, nice to have a little plan ready just for kicks - stops the airboat with a 6 foot high wall of water coming out back. But I digress...

On another note, my order just got shipped from Hong Kong... they say it should take under 45 days to get here...
    It better take less that 45 days! Unless it is delivered by bicycle!

I am going to hope it comes in like 2 weeks... Anyways, I finished making the top section of the hull, with integrated hatch and lowered deck for a lower CG. It is made from a single piece of 1/2" ply, and this time I used a router to help me out. I used it to bevel the edges, mill out the hatch area, and thin out the underside of the deck. All of this is light and covered with polyurethane. The plywood top fits between the balsa frames tightly and the overlapping edges will be sanded down to the contours of the hull once the epoxy dries. This recent addition to the hull adds a LOT of rigidity to the hull (theoreticaly, as it would hardly flex without it anyways). Once I sand down the sides of the top deck, it will be time to paint...

I am thinking flourescent orange and metalic blue!

Name:	us52703.jpg 
Size:	453.7 KB 
ID:	1395544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	je99101.jpg 
Size:	414.4 KB 
ID:	1395545   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ag91209.jpg 
Size:	452.8 KB 
ID:	1395546   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oi14644.jpg 
Size:	676.4 KB 
ID:	1395547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fq89058.jpg 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	1395548  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lb47003.jpg 
Size:	360.1 KB 
ID:	1395549   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vx46211.jpg 
Size:	318.7 KB 
ID:	1395550   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zy84608.jpg 
Size:	523.5 KB 
ID:	1395551   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hf99752.jpg 
Size:	325.4 KB 
ID:	1395552  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, after 12 hours of drying time and 2 hours of elbow grease, we have something that resembles an airboat (more or less)

The epoxy set up well and I added fiberglass strips on the inside seams where the top deck connected to the balsa frame. After that, I sanded the top and added a coat of polyurethane. This will be sanded lightly and covered with another light coat. After that, it will be time to paint... You may be wondering why I want to paint it - I love the woody color, however I sanded a bit too much off of the top plywood sheeting, revealing the second layer which created unsightly splotches. I will be keeping the bottom of the hull in its natural color, but the top will be covered with paint.

At this point, the hull weighs 1.490 pounds according to my scale... A half pound lighter than what I expected.

Name:	bz78804.jpg 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	1395975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rm36303.jpg 
Size:	368.9 KB 
ID:	1395976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	di99704.jpg 
Size:	358.8 KB 
ID:	1395977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	un33793.jpg 
Size:	317.6 KB 
ID:	1395978  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks great! Very sleek. Your order should not take more than 9 business days if standard shipping.

How tall is the boat at the highest section? I am curios if I can do a similar design in foam, only a little larger and more power!
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The boat is 2.5" tall at the back of the transom - It should be fairly easy to do a build out of foam, as it is straight angles and lines.
    If you want, I think I still have the google sketchup plans that I made for it originally, I can post them up here...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast