Project... maybe...

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Project... maybe...

Old 04-30-2010, 05:32 PM
ISIRC10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Project... maybe...

Well, I took a bit of a break from the airboat, and updated my radios to 2.4ghz... which has been one of the best choices I have made in a while.
Today I went to the lake and had some more runs - this time running my converted Futaba 2pl and a 9.5x6 prop. It was a bit windy and the surface was choppy. Not too many full speed runs, but even at half speed this thing is very fun to drive. The wedge shaped bow kept the boat in the water, and when it hit a wave it would just cut right through it... I had about 12 minutes of runtime, and I enjoyed every second of it. However, halfway through the run, something interesting happened. I was turning sharply and the side caught a wave full on, flipping the boat. This was a good 80 feet from shore, and I wasn't thinking of how I would retreive the boat... So to make a long story short, I kinda stood there for 10-15 seconds watching the thing, and then decided to hit the throttle... this was just out of curiosity... well, the thing reared up and started rolling back right side up. I wasn't expecting this so I stopped. On the second try, I hit the throttle purposefully... I did not want to get my feet wet. This time the boat did a barrel roll and settled right side up. I brought it in and checked for water inside - there was none, so I continued with my run. All I can say is WOW! This thing is crazy! The motor had so much torque that it was able to flip a 3.5lb boat in the water... and it was quite spectacular as well.

I must say, no nitro or gas motor could have done that... and my confidence in my design is growing with every time I drive it... Now I just need to go on vacation in Florida - try it out in a REAL swamp.

All smiles
Old 05-20-2010, 11:57 PM
hsals

Sorry for a bit off topic. But i have to know, how did you get the Google Sketch Up pics here?
Old 05-21-2010, 06:57 AM
ISIRC10

the pics that I uploaded in the beginning?
those I exported in sketch up and then uploaded them how you would normal pictures...

The actual plans I hosted on a file sharing web site and then pasted a direct link to them on the internet. That way people can view them in their native format and edit them with sketch up. Maybe someday rcuniverse will support sketchup files, but I don't see that happening any time soon

Old 05-21-2010, 11:17 AM
hsals

aaah... Ok! Thanks