Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

AquaCraft Alligator RTR

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:23 AM
500 lb. koolaid man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AquaCraft Alligator RTR

Great videos! Looks like she was running very good. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:37 AM
hpiguy

Stock motor and prop?
Old 12-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes stock motor and prop, mods were just resetting the engine angle, the boat still flips somewhat easy in the turns. Have not figured anything out yet on that. May be the manufacture can give a little advise on that. But for now I'd say just slow down for the turns and do not make quick steering movements.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:12 PM
deslok113

How is the engine holding up heat wise? Do you run it on the rich side to help in cooling? What's it like power wise on a flat out run? Have you tried a chase vehicle to see its performance up close?
I like using my big boat to chase R/C boats, it's fun. One of my R/C boats can blow away my big boatThe Punisher. I've also chased my BJ 26 BL with Nimh's, but my big boat blows it away. I can get the big boat to do 48mph with the proper trim set and minimal weight in it. Since I've gotten into r/c boating fish no longer fear my name! LOL
Old 12-08-2008, 01:34 PM
crispyspa

ORIGINAL: Mr Cajun Gator

A.T. after mods and tuning. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSeKr6Q3T5s]A.T. vid[/link]
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJC6D7dldP8]A T vid 2[/link]
Did you get a video of the boat before the mods? Would be a great comparison. How about a speed reading before/after?
Old 12-12-2008, 02:45 PM
theTman

does anyone know how it handles in the snow yet?
Old 12-12-2008, 11:22 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Tower is all out of alligators. Looks like they must be selling well (well enough anyways).
Old 12-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

On the SAW this boat is quick, some hoping, think its from the bottom runners. Don't try a top end hard or semi hard turn, it will flip. Wide easy turns can be done high speeds. I have not done the chase boat thing. No vid of before, speed is about the same, handling is better. With this boats width being a little on the narrow side, it would be a real challenge to make it have good stable sliding turns.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

does it go in snow?
Old 12-28-2008, 09:47 AM
deslok113

Well, I got mine for Christmas. I went to test fire it on the bench. I couldn't get it started. I primed the engine, tested the glow plug (and my heater) spun the prop with my starter and no fire. I prime my engines by poping off the exhaust tube and running air through it until I see fuel hit the carb. I did this and no fire; not even a sputter. I then pulled the plug and tested it; it glowed nicely. The cylinder was not flooded, but had some fuel come out when I spun the engine with my starter. I put a few drops of fuel into the carb to see if it would sputter or somethingnothing. The compression is there but it's lower than I expected for a new engine. The aquacraft manuel said that the HS needle was set at the factory. The engine manuel said to open the HS needle 4 to 4.5 turns and the Aquacraft manual said 3 turns. The engine manual said to choke the engine. I'll try that this evening if no fire then I'm sending it back to Tower.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Slop Jockey

Did you check the direction of rotation of your starter? It should be spinning counter clockwise. Mine started very easily the first time out.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:31 PM
deslok113

Yep it was spinning ccw. I usually expect most new nitro engines to have tight compression until they are broken in. This engine doesn't. So if the choke method fails then it's back to Tower. Did you have to "choke" your engine or did you just make sure your fuel line was full of fuel and it started right up? Was the compression kind of tight or kind of loose before breakin? Since you said that yours started right up it makes me believe that this engine may be bad. If you say that your engine had tight compression until breakin then it'll confirm my suspicions.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

It almost sounds like your getting too much fuel. The number of turns that the manufacture gives is just a rough ball park number to get the engine started. The HS needle is not the one that is factory set, it is the low end needle, hopefully you are not adjusting the low end. If so, you will have a hard time getting the engine started.
I may be able to help you, give me a call. I have set many nitro engines over the phone, just from listening to the engine. [link=http://cajungatorairboats.com/id7.html]contact page[/link]
Old 12-29-2008, 10:40 AM
deslok113

I was only changing the settings on the HS needle. When the prop is spun by my spin starter motor, fuel/air (mist) comes out of the exhaust. I've seen when an engine floods then you can drain the fuel out of the exhaust or it drips after trying to start out of the exhaust, but this engine mists fuel out of the exhaust while spinning. I tried to lean the mix out to see if flooding was the problemstill mist from exhaustno fire. The piston won't compress fuel /air. The engine wouldn't even sputternothing. This engine is bad. If it was a used engine I'd say sleeve, but this engine is new. Back to Tower it goes!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Sidekick

Hi all,
Why do we need pusher props,rather than turn a normal prop backwards?
I am just curious.
Sidekick
Old 12-29-2008, 06:42 PM
hpiguy

If you turn a normal prop backwards you will get much less airflow. The airfoil was designed to "screw" one way for max air movement.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:06 PM
deslok113

Tower emailed me today and asked me to ship just the engine back to them. So I'll pull it tonight and ship it when I get a chance. What a pain!!! [:'(]
Old 12-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Sidekick

Ok Guys,
Thanks for that,

I was curious.
Sidekick
Old 12-30-2008, 12:08 AM
deslok113

Well I have some good news and some bad news. The Tower tech said to turn it out only 1.5 turns. I turned it out 1.5 turnsstill nothing. I shortened the fuel line and at 1.25 turns a little sputter!!! at 1/8 turn cw from that the darn thing started and ran!!! FINALLY!!!! But I noticed fuel leaking inbetween the crankcase and the head. I'll try to tighten up the head screws. And bench run it again tomorrow. What a fickle engine!!! Maybe it has to due with the pressure and humidity here in South Louisiana in winterprobably. But this is the first engine I had do this. A little over 1 turn out is really lean to me but I've only been into Nitro for about 3 yrs now. Well I'll chalk it up as a learning experience. I think when I go to break in the engine I'll set the needle in reverse so I'm sure I'll get adequate lubrication. I'll start it at its current needle setting and then enrichen it (while it is running) for breakin then lean it out again after breakin. What do ya'll think?? Input is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:22 PM
harrisdouma

I am thinking of converting My aqua craft alligator to Diesel Power. I put a P.A.W. 036 diesel
moter on the back of Dumas little swamp buggy and it worked great. MY reason would be
because Diesels run cooler and and more quiet than glow engines, So should be ideal for
pusher operation. Has anyone else thought of doing this?
Harris
Old 12-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Traxxas4fun

I HAVE NEVER bought such a hard to tune peice of crap motor in my life.. WE can get it to start by only priming the carb with fuel.. Then we have to hold down the gas cap because the pressure pops it open then it shuts off. Then we only get it to run if we hold the throttle about half way. This WILL NOT idle at all. What are the factory settings on all the needle high speed low speed and idle? then the screws that hold down the seats upfront stripped out from the vibration!!

HELP ME
Old 12-31-2008, 04:31 PM
deslok113

I understand your frustration. I had big issues with my gator also. The boat hull and electronics on mine seem to be ok but that engine. What a piece of crap. Try leaning the engine out big time. That's how I got mine to run. I have it turned out only 1 and 1/8th turns for mine to run otherwise it just floods and floods. Even though it now runs it leaks fuel by the connection of the head and crankcase. I think Aquacraft should've chosen a better make of engine than Super Tigre; junk. I'm going to pull the head tonight (before poping firecrackers; can anyone say sparkler bomb) and try to see if I can seal the leak. If not I'm sending my poop engine back to Tower for a replacement poop engine. OH BOY!!!
Old 12-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Traxxas4fun

which needle? im a newb to engines but my dad has planes helicopters and cars before..
and turn it out 1 1/8 turn from ALL THE WAY IN?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:53 PM
deslok113

The HS needle. Don't touch the LS needle what ever you do; you might never get it started then. Turn the HS needle in all the way then turn it out 2.5 turns. If no start, pull plug, pinch fuel line and then spin engine , put a rag over the plug hole so fuel doesn't spray all over you, then turn in 1/2 turn to 2 turns and try again. The Tower tech lady said to put mine at 1.5 turns out and then try but it still didn't run until I was at 1 and 1/8 turn out. After you go below 1.5 turns only turn it in 1/8 turn until it stay s running. That's how I got mine to run now I have to address the fuel leaking between head and case. Mr CajunGator said to pull head and sand sleeve in an earlier post to this thread. i'll try that next before shipping back to Tower.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:59 PM
hpiguy

LOL, having to sand sleeves, retune engines on brand new "beginner friendly" boats, yup, sounds like Aquacraft had the V24 design team do this one too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.