AquaCraft Alligator RTR

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

AquaCraft Alligator RTR

Old 01-30-2009, 11:44 PM
deslok113

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AquaCraft Alligator RTR

I tune my running engine on my gator with a pair of needle nose pliers. I'd rather loose a prop then a finger. at any more than 1.5 turns out my g 34 won't run at 1 and 1/8th turn out the engine runs the best. It's not too rich or too lean at this point. I traded an OS max .40 fp for a super Tigre .40 ringed with dual bearings. So, guess what I'm going to do? The boat moves like a rocket with the g 34. With this .40 I'm thinking warp drive. Beam me up Scotty
Old 02-09-2009, 02:49 PM
deslok113

Well I've decided not to put the .40 on the Airboat. It seems to me that the boat is slightly overpowered as is. It flips pretty easily at anymore than 1/2 power on even a modest turn. However it may be the fact that I had it running in an area where there was a lot of full size boat traffic (at the boat launch). The area was a no wake zone so I figured that the wakes of big boats wouldn't affect me. This fellow on a jet ski came by at speed at one point, so I turned the Gator into the wake and I slowed down. The gator passed the wake with no trouble. Yet even when there was no big boat traffic I'd flip the gator. I flipped it 3 times!!! The first time I was pushing the boat to show someone its capabilities. The second time I had to turn hard to keep from hitting the intelligent fellow on the jet ski who continued to ignore the no wake zone sign until the La. game warden stopped him (HA HA served him right). On the third time I was really trying not to flip the boat. I was going slow and taking turns easy, I took a turn at less than 1/2 throttle (no big boats present) and it flipped over. After that I picked it up and then picked up my big boat and went home. Any suggestions to make the boat less flip over prone? I've even flipped it on grass! It doesn't appear that I can lower the CG of the engine by more that a few mm's with that spinning prop; the prop hitting the deck would not be a good thing.
I'm actually glad I didn't put the .40 on it then it would flip over even more. Help is appreciated.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

does anyone make an electric motor mount? this is the worst engine ive seen by far.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:50 PM
boatfisher25

ya it sucks on the snow it it does not turn on it and that made me crash it on a tree
Old 07-10-2009, 10:49 PM
donahue_85

I just bought one, well it's on backorder. It should be here in a week or so, as I'm told by my local hobby shop where I orderd it from. The date today is (7/10/09), I was told it SHOULD be here right around the date of (7/16/09). I'm guessing I'm wrong? Well, anyhow, from what I see you all talking about, seems like I made a good investment! I have a buddy that is really into R/C cars & trucks. He loves them! He has 2 right now, don't remember the names of them because I'm still new to this whole thing. As far as the boat goes, I assumed I could take it home, put together what needed to be & go! I had no idea there was a break in period or anything. I know you all may laugh at me, but as I said, I'm new, give me a break! LOL!

So, what do I have to do with her when I get her home for the first time?? I REALLY REALLY don't want to break it or blow it up AT ALL!!! I have a 3yr. old son that I would like to interest in R/C hobbies, that is the main reason that the wife let me make the purchace! LOL! Seriously, I do not want to break it in any way, I noticed that a few of you said the cage is not up to par, the engine dies out after about 6 minutes & a few other things. I have weighed my options & I think this is a good buy no matter what. A little maintenance is expected, like a car.

Will it be okay to run in my front yard? Is there a big issue with roll-over? How does it do in the water (choppy, flat glass)? I live on a river in Florida, & I spend a lot of time out there, so will my R/C airboat. Just want to tie up some loose ends. Thanks! Any input is appreciated!!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:56 PM
donahue_85

I'm new here, but I have been reading up on this thing since I just purchaced one a week ago. As for your roll-overs, I heard that 2 #4 washers under the motor mounts will help you with your roll-over problem! Not sure of the procedure, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Good luck & I hope mine doesn't have issues like this!!!!
Old 07-11-2009, 11:40 AM
deslok113

Unfortunately the Gator really isn't a boat that is good for beginners. Get w/ your friend that knows about nitro engines you are probably going to need his help. Super Tigre engines have rough breakins some very rough. Mine had a cylinder head leakthe fix is to pull the engine then pull the head and there is a spur on the head shim that may need to be grinded slightly w/ fine sand paper. You have to grind just enough to stop the leak, any more will change the compression ratio of the engine and it won't run right. The manual said 4 turns out on the high speed needle, tech support told me 1.5 turns out, (to tune the engine you need to remember in is clockwise called leaning out=less fuel more air, and ccw is richening more fuel less air.) Try 3 turns out first, if it won't start try 2.5 or 2 then, 1.5, 1.25, 1.125, 1 until it starts (most manuals and books will tell you to change the HS needle in 1/8th increments (0.125)). You might want to read something about tuning nitro engines and nitro engine breakin; it wouldn't hurt. My Gator runs best at about 1.125 to 1.25 turns out but I live in south Louisiana it is very humid here (and below sea level). Some people have complained about Super Tigre engines on here, and I'll admit that they are some bad running engines until they are properly broken in, but once it is broken in you will see a difference. My Super Tigre starts up usually on the first spin and runs like a champ.
If you are planning on running on grass, remember this: the best time to run it is right after you mow the lawn. Do not run the boat up hill and only run for about 5 mins as the engine will get hot!! Use the spit test, spit on the head, if the spit boils away immediately and rapidly the engine is too hot pinch the fuel line to shut it down immediately. If the spit sits there a bit then boils off not so rapidly then you are allright.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:13 PM
donahue_85

I just bought one about 2 months ago & it's not here yet!!! It has been on backorder for quite a while now. I think it should be ok, from what I've heard from owners, it has plenty of power to do whatever you want to do with it! I have not yet myself been able to play with it, but I am looking forward to using it!! I have never owned anything R/C before, this will be my first. I am hoping to take it easy with this one & not break it or blow it up, so that I can interest my 3 year old son in R/C stuff! I think he will get a big kick out of this airboat!!!!!! I also know that my buddy that is very into R/C is kinda jealous that he isn't getting &/or doesn't have one! LOL! I hope it will be here soon, I can't wait anymore!! My skin is crawling with excitement!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 06:22 PM
donahue_85

That is some great info to know deslok113!!! I appreciate it! I plan to try my best to learn what there is to learn & get he hang of this thing! I have paid good hard earned money for this gator boat & if it breaks, I will be pretty upset!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All in all, I think I should be ok, with the help from a few enthusiasts. But still, I really really really appreciate the information!!! Anymore tips that I should be aware of????
Old 07-17-2009, 10:42 PM
deslok113

If the boat wants to flip on you put 2 #4 washers on the back 2 motor mounts to level the engine. Aquacraft factory sets the thrust angle at +6deg. Their thinking is to plant the aft end into the water to raise the bow making the boat go faster. While the top end will be a little faster with this method the problem is that on turns the airboat tends to want to flip over. Zeroing the thrust angle with the addition of the 2 washers will fix this. You want the washers to be on the motor mounts closest to the fuel tank. Do you own a brazing torch? You might need one. I got one at Lowes (and they have it a Home Depot) for $50. The brazing rods cost about $10. If you flip the boat on grass (and even on water) you may damage the cage. The joints will pop off. You can spend $50 over and over again replacing the cage or learn how to braze (if you don't already know how). It's more like soldering than welding.
For all its headaches this is a really fun r/c boat. I've since gotten rid of all my Nitro marine engine boats, in favor of air powered boats and Fast Electrics. Brushless electric motors are faster than nitro engines!! But that's another story...
Old 07-22-2009, 01:17 PM
donahue_85

Has anyone heard word on when these things will be released yet??? Still waiting......
Old 07-22-2009, 03:18 PM
crispyspa

ORIGINAL: donahue_85

Has anyone heard word on when these things will be released yet??? Still waiting......
They've been out for over a year now. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXURN3**&P=ML
Old 07-22-2009, 05:24 PM
asmithnc

ORIGINAL: donahue_85

On 7/10 you say you have one and then you post this........ http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8922972/tm.htm

Whatcha up TO.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:45 AM
donahue_85

What I meant is I have one coming. I called the hobby shop I ordered it from & they said it'll be here tomorrow. Sorry for the confusion. What are the critical points of break-in? Anything special I should know before I throw it in & go?? Besides it might roll over?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:57 PM
donahue_85

Just got the boat yesterday! Ran it through its break-in & the engine ran great through all that. Now it dies when I give it full trottle. I've adjusted the HSN & the LSN as stated on here & in the manual, still not going good. It seems to run superb on my lawn, lots of power & no issues dying, but once I get it on the water, it idles good but once I give it gas it dies. What to do??

Also, I have already hit a few things with it (accidently), there are a few small cracks on the hull (on the seems). Is there a reason to worry? Should I patch them with something? Will the hull retain water (common sence says yes, but I've never had an rc boat, so I don't know)??
Old 07-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like the plug is getting old and your running too rich.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:51 AM
DJLaPalme

Donahue 85, yes you need to patch any holes. The inside of the hull is full of a foam that WILL absorb water. It does not appear to be a closed cell foam, which is what should have been used. You should also run your engine a little rich to help keep the engine from overheating. Dennis
Old 07-26-2009, 08:36 AM
donahue_85

Is there any special sealant I need to use or just duck tape?
Old 07-26-2009, 08:19 PM
donahue_85

I got the gator to run great today on a pond by my house. Only thing is, aREALgator tried to eat it!! Really!! I had to wade out with my fishing pole & try to catch it, not fun. It flipped over, I had no way to get it other than letting it drift back towards the shore so my line could reach it. It was under for about 6-8 minutes. Got it out cleaned it up & it fired right back up, no problems, the fuel tank leaked no water into it, & I drove itaround on the grass to ensure that all the water was out of the engine. Now that this thing is going good, I would say that it is a great little boat & would recommend one to anyone who is interested! The worst part is getting through he initial start-up process.If you can manage getting the engine through the break-in period, it will do you just right. Plenty of power!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:16 AM
deslok113

Go to your hobby store and get a fiberglass repair kit with patches and some grey model paint. Yes your plug is bad. My Gator goes through plugs pretty fast when I run it on grass. I maybe get 10-12 5min runs then I have to change plugs. I've tried running the boat as rich as possible w/o it stalling and it still eats plugs on grass. On water your plugs will last longer.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:31 AM
deslok113

It is a awesome model boat. It's my favorite. I liked mine so much that I got out of nitro marine boating in favor of airboats and FE. I also have a Dumas Windy. I put a .25 OS max FP on it; I had to mod the boat like crazy to fit this engine. The boat is rated for a .10!
I'm considering changing the .34 Super tigre for the .46 MECOA swamp buggy/heli engine. I'm hoping that I won't have to mod the boat so that I can switch back to the Super Tigre as a B-up. I've also looked at the .50 OS Heli engine, its designed to fit in the space of a .30 size engine.
Since I'm also into FE a brushless airboat is also being considered as one of my near future projects.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 AM
donahue_85

That would be interesting to see how well an electric gator would work.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:29 AM
donahue_85

Has anybody had any problems with the servo's? Mine were working fine & all of a sudden the throttle servo just got stuck. I took it out & looked at it & it looks fine, no evidence of burns or anything. I tried to get it to move while it was out & it'll only move in very small increments with the help of my finger, otherwise, it won't move. The other servo that controls the rudders works just fine, no issues there. I am curious to find out if you guys have had issues in the same area that I'm having them. Any help or suggestions?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:14 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like moister in the servo.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:55 AM
WCB

I ran my Gator for the first time yesterday on the fish pond and it done great. This was my first experience with any kind of rc boat. Been flying planes for years and running rc cars so I'm fairly experienced with the glo engine aspect.
The engine started right up and I ran a few tanks through it leaning it a little bit each time. By the last run it was moving along at a pretty good clip. The engine didn't die while out on the water a single time (except once when I managed to flip the boat). I did run it up on the bank across the pond and had to go get it and I flipped it once. Checked the Rx box and it was dry, pulled the glo plug and drained the water out of the engine.....hit it a few times with the starter and it fired right up.
It flipped while I was going straight at a pretty good speed. Must have hit a wake or something??? Turns are no problem at speed if you make a wide turn...the more speed the wider the turn I learned. Tight turns at low speed is no problem.
Used a pedal boat to retrieve it when I flipped it. I'm trying to figure out how to make some kind of wire hook or something to throw out with a fishing rod to retrieve it.
I'm pleased with the boat and it was a lot of fun.
Bill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.