Gasoline Engines

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Gasoline Engines

Old 12-05-2011, 03:58 PM
rcairboater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasoline Engines

wondering where you guys get your gas engines from? What size is typically used?
Linke would be great.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:15 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Default RE: Gasoline Engines

You can use purpose-built gas engines for airplanes or convert yard equipment engines. Chainsaws, weed wackers, leaf blowers, etc.

Yard equipment is usually cheaper and doesn't take much to get one on an airboat.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:21 PM
oldfrog
My Feedback: (1)

Are you asking about gasoline engines or nitro engines ?
You can trust what 1Qwksport2.5r has to say, he's quite knowledgeable .
Old 12-05-2011, 04:53 PM
RS 38-40
My Feedback: (3)

You can sometimes get them (weed whackers) for free if you watch for them in the trash or laying idle in somebodys grage because they don't run . Usually the only reason they don"t run is the muffler is plugged wirh oil and carbon or they just need a tuneup .
Old 12-05-2011, 05:45 PM
rcairboater

Gas not nitro. All the boats I see on the site are weed eater engines etc. Their is no supplier to speak of?
Old 12-05-2011, 05:56 PM
oldfrog
My Feedback: (1)

You can find gas engines in the Buy & Sell section at the top of the page, then click on Find ads and type in gas engine in the search box.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:31 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gasoline airplane engines are a fair bit more expensive than a weed wacker or chainsaw engine. If you want to look at purpose built engines, look for DLE or DA gas engines. Ask or search the gasoline engines section at the bottom of the main forum page.

Edit: Added links
Gas Engines forum here on RCU: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_142/tt.htm
DLE 20cc, smallest gas engine DLE makes. http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../dleg0020.html $270
DA (Desert Aircraft) 50cc (smallest they make) http://www.desertaircraft.com/engine...p?Page=DA-50-R $550

I searched for Homelite on Craigslist and found at least half a dozen Chainsaw or weed wackers for $50 or less in my area. These engines have a lot in common with Ryobi, Weed Eater (brand), etc. Other than a prop hub, there isnt much needed to make a chainsaw or wacker engine work for an airboat. Yank the case off, and pull the "beauty" crap off and you're ready to rock. They're cheap, and can be beefed up with port work and different ignition systems. They can also be set up with a glow plug and ran on gas/glow fuel to save weight by dumping the ignition system.

I actually have a Homelite 30cc brush cutter engine that I'd sell.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:58 AM
rcairboater

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Gasoline airplane engines are a fair bit more expensive than a weed wacker or chainsaw engine. If you want to look at purpose built engines, look for DLE or DA gas engines. Ask or search the gasoline engines section at the bottom of the main forum page.

Edit: Added links
Gas Engines forum here on RCU: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_142/tt.htm
DLE 20cc, smallest gas engine DLE makes. http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../dleg0020.html $270
DA (Desert Aircraft) 50cc (smallest they make) http://www.desertaircraft.com/engine...p?Page=DA-50-R $550

I searched for Homelite on Craigslist and found at least half a dozen Chainsaw or weed wackers for $50 or less in my area. These engines have a lot in common with Ryobi, Weed Eater (brand), etc. Other than a prop hub, there isnt much needed to make a chainsaw or wacker engine work for an airboat. Yank the case off, and pull the ''beauty'' crap off and you're ready to rock. They're cheap, and can be beefed up with port work and different ignition systems. They can also be set up with a glow plug and ran on gas/glow fuel to save weight by dumping the ignition system.

I actually have a Homelite 30cc brush cutter engine that I'd sell.
Send me pics. I left you a pm. Has anyone ever delt with Daves Discount motors? What engine from there are used in airboats?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:52 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Honestly, it would be cheaper for you to find an engine locally. I'd want $35 for the engine and the shipping would be at least $20. I paid $50 for the brushcutter and the cable ended up being broken. The engine I have still needs all the crap stripped off of it.

Do some research on converting an engine and do the work yourself. Its a better learning experience that way anyway.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:22 PM
rcairboater

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Honestly, it would be cheaper for you to find an engine locally. I'd want $35 for the engine and the shipping would be at least $20. I paid $50 for the brushcutter and the cable ended up being broken. The engine I have still needs all the crap stripped off of it.

Do some research on converting an engine and do the work yourself. Its a better learning experience that way anyway.
Can you send me pics of the engine? [email protected]