sheograth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Ducted fan airboat?

Just wondering if anyone here has made or has a ducted fan airboat? I am considering a scratch build just for the fun of it.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:17 AM
mike walker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Ducted fan airboat?

I got a fan and k& b 82 Ive been thinking the same thing, lets see what every one else comes up with
Old 09-30-2008, 07:04 PM
alloutcustom

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Df_3Td_HQ]HERE[/link] is an EPIC failure DF airboat vid on youtube, lol
Old 10-01-2008, 02:01 PM
pinky_d_brain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am currently building an EDF airboat it is taking for ever [:@] but that just because I don’t have anywhere to work on it or the time
I prefer duct fans they have a lower thrust line form small diameter allowing for lower CG. They come up a little short on power the thrust is much faster but more concentrated creating les pushing traction but much hire speed if you build light
Old 10-01-2008, 06:27 PM
alloutcustom

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WOW! very nice!!! Hurry up, because now i wanna see it go!!! lol.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:30 AM
kzimmerman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, I've built one. Gws 55 ducted fan on eight 650nimh, blue foam boat, about 30" long, 6" wide, slight vee bottom. Was started for inboard nitro, but wanted something for my son to tool around with. Actually went pretty well, so I tried two ducted fans, my son then drove straight under a dock, lost one fan, back to one only. Blows over easy. Was considering rebuilding it smaller, but already have too many projects.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:28 AM
kzimmerman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Allright, I am gonna rebuild it, about 12"x6". Gonna be 1/32 balsa or 1/64 ply, can't decide. I'm also gonna go lipoly on it, and try to build it as light as possible. I may even build a mold and make it outa glass and poxy, I can build very light that way. In my experience with ducted fans, you need to build a nacelle for it, because there are specific ratios that need to be adhered to to get the most effeciency out of the fan. I believe that the intake needs to be 150% of the fan area, and the exit is 80% of the fan area. Note that the center hub does not count in the fan area, just the area of the blades.

kurt
Old 11-15-2008, 01:14 PM
supagloo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does this count?

Not really a ducted fan but this surely helps to get rid of the turbulence created by the propeller.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60083.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1072604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb88038.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1072605  
Old 05-30-2009, 01:50 AM
krazikiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice do you have any other pics would love to see more??
Old 05-31-2009, 11:40 AM
johnnycat500

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is my proof of concept first try at any kind of boat. I have helicopters and wanted to use the spare parts I have. So I went to Kmart to see if I could find a low cost boat. I got this one for $16.99. I looked thru hobby lobby boat parts to find some rudders that would work. I machined some aluminum for the rudder shaft to fit in. I did not want to spend all a lot of time building a boatfor this ducted fan because I know nothing about boats. So I went to the park near me that has a big lake. I The rudders do a good job of steering it. The fan was loose and would turn a little bit and you loose steering. Did not have the tools with me to fix it at the lake. Did not matter anyway because the dx7 started beeping for low battery ..LOL Hope in a few days I will get to try again. Here's a few pics..

Name:	Bz79430.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	1209403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27283.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1209404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95502.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1209405  
Old 05-31-2009, 03:45 PM
rcbif

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: johnnycat500

Here is my proof of concept first try at any kind of boat. I have helicopters and wanted to use the spare parts I have. So I went to Kmart to see if I could find a low cost boat. I got this one for $16.99. I looked thru hobby lobby boat parts to find some rudders that would work. I machined some aluminum for the rudder shaft to fit in. I did not want to spend all a lot of time building a boatfor this ducted fan because I know nothing about boats. So I went to the park near me that has a big lake. I The rudders do a good job of steering it. The fan was loose and would turn a little bit and you loose steering. Did not have the tools with me to fix it at the lake. Did not matter anyway because the dx7 started beeping for low battery ..LOL Hope in a few days I will get to try again. Here's a few pics..
That looks neat. You should make a new canopy/motormount out of something lighter like a sheet of lexan so you can lower your cog too.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:40 PM
johnnycat500

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your right on top of it rcbif I have the plate made but I need input on the location of the ducted fan. Also is it better to have the DFblowing thru a extension maybe 2/3 inches long. Would that make it more efficient ?

Name:	Mk27122.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	1209706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12917.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	1209707  
Old 06-16-2009, 01:29 PM
vamp131

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wowi have got one of the small air boats tried to fit a 40 into it but wheni tested it way to heavy lol it sank
Old 06-19-2009, 12:34 AM
srw1960

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had never thought of using a ducted fan unit for an air boat until I saw this thread....Now I have another project...Needed it like a hole in the head but I think it will be fun..

I purchased a brand new ducted fan unit off e bay last night after reading this thread and have an idea for a very wicked looking shallow vhull boat.. I will post pics as soon as I begin construction and we will just see what happens ...I promise it will be very unconventional..im thinkin maybee vectored thrust instead of air rudder or any other type of rudder and very low cg so it will go way fast and still be way stable..Hmmmmmm lots of ideas any thoughts from you guy's? probably power it with lipo's ill have to learn about them have no experience with them at all but im a quick learner..

Ok nuff for now more to come I promise
Old 06-19-2009, 12:43 AM
johnnycat500

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

can't wait to see your pics. I wanted to go to a vectored thrust but am a newbie to this and would think the boat would not have the control as with rudders. looking forward to your post
Old 06-21-2009, 03:02 AM
srw1960

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I am definatly comited to this now .. Today I purchased the esc and a 4000 mah 14.8 volt lipo to run the fan unit on...

I am new to airboats as well have built prop powered for years but have just recently gotten into air and so far ILIKEIT...
I was worried that air rudders wouldnt be enough for my first air boat but when I got it on the water I quickly discoverd they worked great. so I am confident that a vectored thrust unit on the back of the fan will work just fine...I am planning on using thin wall pvc pipe and heating and reshaping the end of it to meet my needs and I am working on a gimble to attach it with to allow it movement through both axis..

I will do my best to have some drawings posted here in the next couple days.I am not the best artist so itll take me a bit of time to do it...
Old 07-05-2009, 02:45 AM
srw1960

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ihave all the parts in from china now to get this started. I will use a 89mm fan unit with brushless motor running a 14.8 volt lipo and a 40a esc.I stared laying it all out today and drawing templates as I go I will start a build thread probably monday hope you guys enjoy I think itll be a blast
Old 07-06-2009, 07:57 PM
srw1960

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok started a new thread tonight covering my ducted fan build hope yall enjoy it