Search
Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Airboats for winter running?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:15 AM
dadkins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Airboats for winter running?

I would go with coroplast rather than plexi - weighs a LOT less - You may have handling issues with it wanting to only go straight - imagine two huge vertical stabilizers - maybe not though....
Personally I would ditch the wire mesh and part of the aluminum and run er in the open air - make the center support into a carrying handle and most importantly- Keep your apendiges away from the prop.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

I thought of making the frame smaller but since it's for snow I want everything inside to be contained. True it would look soo much nicer!

I also thought the clear plex would look cool like a display. I have a 1/8 sheet in the garage. I guess I can always try it out
Old 12-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cages are made from stainless steal tubing 5/16" on the hoops and 1/8" for rungs then it is all MIG welded together, the cages are very strong, in fact I weigh 225lbs, and the cage supports me well. OK to my point, I had a blade break off at the hub, the blade then broke through 1-1/2 rungs. I don't know if it just happen, hit just right or what happen, I do know that when a blade breaks loose, its best to have something there to stop it or at least slow it down some. The wire mesh is a good idea to keep your hands from getting into the prop, the plex-a-glass do not use. It will crack and break from the vibration, taking a chance on a section breaking off and falling into the prop, then you have a sharp projectile flying.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:09 PM
SELWA

ORIGINAL: Mr Cajun Gator

My cages are made from stainless steal tubing 5/16" on the hoops and 1/8" for rungs then it is all MIG welded together, the cages are very strong, in fact I weigh 225lbs, and the cage supports me well. OK to my point, I had a blade break off at the hub, the blade then broke through 1-1/2 rungs. I don't know if it just happen, hit just right or what happen, I do know that when a blade breaks loose, its best to have something there to stop it or at least slow it down some. The wire mesh is a good idea to keep your hands from getting into the prop, the plex-a-glass do not use. It will crack and break from the vibration, taking a chance on a section breaking off and falling into the prop, then you have a sharp projectile flying.
Very good point about the plexiglass/Lexan. Since this is on land you never know which way broken pieces may fly out at. I may have to start it up on a car creeper if I don't see snow soon.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:45 PM
SELWA

First video on ice! Brad (AKA Bradius) was driving it while I filmed. It moves without even using the throttle!!

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=7k2a0kNG0T4

Waiting for some good powder now!!

May add some side skis later.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:44 PM
RS 38-40
My Feedback: (3)

If you are going to be running your boogi board on ice a lot you are going to tare up the bottom . You might want to fashion a piece of corroplast to the bottom . Corroplast is some tuff stuff . It even works well on dirt and blacktop and concrete . Just a thought .
Old 12-12-2008, 05:46 PM
SELWA

ORIGINAL: RS 38-40

If you are going to be running your boogi board on ice a lot you are going to tare up the bottom . You might want to fashion a piece of corroplast to the bottom . Corroplast is some tuff stuff . It even works well on dirt and blacktop and concrete . Just a thought .
That what I used for the rudder! I have some 3/8" sheets of the stuff
Old 12-15-2008, 11:11 AM
dadkins

Ok - If you do decide to use coroplast on the bottom - which I have with really good results. the best way I have found to bond it to foam or wood is by poking a bunch and I mean hundreds of tiny holes thru one side (the side you put glue on) and then smear a thin layer of gorilla glue on the coroplast and stick it to the hull set the hull right side up on a Glass sheet or a very flat surface and put about 20-30 lbs of weight on it to keep the gorilla glue from expanding and making the bottom less than perfectly flat - then use duct tape to pull the rake and sides up.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:06 PM
pinky_d_brain

ORIGINAL: RS 38-40

Good call however that is not a boogie board.... well maybe a Canadian boogie board it’s a foam sled and already has a piece of plastic on the bottom designed for snow and ice. Pic would explain [8D]
Old 12-15-2008, 01:17 PM
SELWA

Yup it's a "snow rider" made for the snow and ice so there's a layer of plastic on the bottom. It has ridges so steering is made easier on snow. Before I launch it on a filed of ice I'd like to have skis along the side for more support so it doesn't flip and have gas leak out.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:56 PM
SELWA

Here's another revision!

Some Vids we did today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEXIY...e=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkTAs...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-0Pn...eature=channel
Old 12-18-2008, 12:43 AM
crispyspa

That's outstanding! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:43 AM
SELWA

A few questions for the experts:

I use a 14x7 puller.
1. If I chage to a 3 blade all I get it more pulling power but I lose on speed right?
2. Does this happem if I go with a higher pitch as well, like a 14x10?

My rudder is fairly large since it was my first attempt. If I round off the top and bottom instead of the 90 degree you see how would this change the steering? Less or more?
Old 12-19-2008, 01:20 PM
crispyspa

ORIGINAL: SELWA

A few questions for the experts:

I use a 14x7 puller.
1. If I chage to a 3 blade all I get it more pulling power but I lose on speed right?
2. Does this happem if I go with a higher pitch as well, like a 14x10?

My rudder is fairly large since it was my first attempt. If I round off the top and bottom instead of the 90 degree you see how would this change the steering? Less or more?
Egad.....I'm having a brain fart! I can't remember the "rules" for switching from 2 to 3 blade............ I think it's same dia. drop a pitch...[&:] I honestly can't remember. But yes, switching to a 3 blade will give more stump pulling power, assuming the engine can stay in the power band with the extra load. With the 14x10 (2 blade), if the engine can handle it, the higher the pitch, the higher the wind speed, the faster the boat.

Your rudder is kinda big, try cutting it shorter (front to back) in 1" increments and test between cuts. When you lose good steering, you've gone too far.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:17 PM
dadkins

I don't think that would hurt your steering to round off the rudder - and it looks like you could cut some off the back maybe an inch or two without affecting it too much.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bigger props is not always the best way to go. Its best to find what prop the boat and the engine works best.
Ex: on my 27cc boats I like the 14 x 7 3-blade MAS and it runs great, but I can drop it to the 14 x 6 2-blade APC and the boat is faster. Difference is the engine is developing more HP and RPM with the smaller prop. But I rather the 14 x 7 3-blade because I'm still getting very good speed and it lowers the RPM given the engine a longer life.
Things to look at when testing props
transition from idle to full throttle, does the engine load or becomes sluggish? More than likely to large of a diameter and/or pitch
engine turns lots of rpm's but boat is slow. too small of diameter for the size of boat.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:45 PM
SELWA

Thanks again for the tips guys. We just got a few feet of snow so I have a good test area now. Plus I found a shop about 30 minutes from me that has a good selection of props. [8D][8D]

I think I'll cut down the rudder a few inches and round the top and bottom. I didn't like the huge rudder but it was a good starting point.

Question

Of I were to put a round cage ( Like a 15" cylinder) around the prop would this give me any better performance in terms of better air pulling??
Old 12-21-2008, 11:02 PM
SELWA

Just an update!

I dropped the engine 1.5" and cut down the top another 3" as well as shorten and round off the rudder. I also remove the side skis just to see how it will work for now. It's been far too windy to try it out today. Hopefully tomorrow!!

I may also try a 13.5 or 12" diameter prop since I noticed the edges of the prop I have now overlap the aluminum frame. I assume that this starves some of the airflow. By lowering the diameter and increasing the pitch it may work out. Maybe a 12x10? I'll try a 2 blade before a 3.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-21-2008, 11:37 PM
crispyspa

12" is kind of small. IMO
Old 12-22-2008, 12:09 AM
SELWA

ORIGINAL: crispyspa

12" is kind of small. IMO
So maybe a 14x10? or try a 14x7 -3 blade?
Old 12-22-2008, 01:13 PM
bandit70

iam buliding a dumas windy should i glass this boat
Old 12-22-2008, 02:18 PM
dadkins

I wouldn't glass the windy - It is already a pretty heavy boat for it's size - also pretty durable, I would do a couple skim coats of epoxy applied with a credit card.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Scrape

Hey SELWA
That's cool and sounds great.
How about strapping that camera on there and taking us for a ride?
Old 12-22-2008, 06:01 PM
SELWA

ORIGINAL: Scrape

Hey SELWA
That's cool and sounds great.
How about strapping that camera on there and taking us for a ride?

That would be very interesting!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 PM
SELWA

A new version just finished. The frame is now 28" and I have more airflow now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.