drizz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Aluminum Airboat build

I need a project to build for my Metals class. I have experience in R/C Nitro Airplanes, so an airboat with a plane engine seems to be best.

I want to make it out of light aluminum. Anyone hear of or have any plans for such a boat? I also considered building a Weed Wacker boat, havnt fully decided.

Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.

I have full access to a machine shop both at school, and at my job. CNC Mill, Bridgeport Mills, lathes, various welding equitment.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:09 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Aluminum Airboat build

There are no plans specifically for an aluminum hull, just plans for wood hulls. However, you can always scale and modify plans to fit your needs. Search through this forum for plans if you are considering using them, they are listed in a ton of threads. If you can't find them, just say so and we can help with that.

There have been multiple aluminum hulls built. The main complaint about aluminum hulls is that they are too heavy / slow but that's not always the case. Try searching "aluminum" in the search of rc airboats on here and see if any come up. I know there's threads on here where people have built all different sizes of aluminum airboats all the way up to gasser size, despite the fact that aluminum is used much less then wood or foam.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:04 PM
greygoose81

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

you can make it out of aluminum, but you should make it a gasser and try to keep it under 35lb. use a 31cc to 41cc range motor. if your boat is under 30lb use 27cc or under. it sounds like you got all the tools you need.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:53 PM
vamp131

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had an aluminum air boat way to heavy it was like a tank only had a 40 on it could have done with a 90 or a 120 lol very slow but it was the tank boat lol tried to upload pics but its not letting me
Old 02-04-2009, 04:06 PM
deslok113

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Try this website out: http://modelmetals.com/index.html this fellow builds them so perhaps he can sell you some plans or help you out.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:31 PM
crispyspa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: deslok113

Try this website out: http://modelmetals.com/index.html this fellow builds them so perhaps he can sell you some plans or help you out.
Those are light. 8 Lbs, but I wonder why they require 3 servos? probably one for each rudder?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:39 PM
deslok113

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Or maybe one for the HS needle?? I think the price is right too. So since income tax time will soon be here... Maybe not though I have some boats of mine that need parts/upgrades so ..... I've some thinking to do (don't say oh no please don't do that) [X(]
Old 02-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Lester Burch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes one for each rudder . They are in some HS here.