Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windy build

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

windy build

Ok here we go again! since im heald up on parts for the ducted fanI started a new project..a dumas windy..I bought a brand new OSLA.15 for it and when the engine came in I quickly realized ..MAN this thing can handle alot more engine...well my brother in law has one allready built so I called him up and he said he is running a os .32 on his with no mods...I have driven his windy and it handles great but felt like it could still handle a bit more power....sooooo I am hanging a GP .42 on this one...I had allready started the build before deciding to start this thread so im allready pretty far along but will post what I have ..

I modified the fin and pod by raising it 1/2 inch to allow for a bigger prop..I also made sure the center former for the fin was reinforced at its attachment points to allow for the increased loading....when I get it on the water if its top heavy ill add some weight to the bottom to try to stabilize it...im hanging the motor on its side to try to keep the weight low if need be I may go ahead and flip it upside down and see what that does....As you can see I have bottom,side trips,fin,and one side of the rear deck on and I epoxied the inside...tomorrow ill get the other deck half on and try to finish the pod...

Let me know what you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig12254.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	1272685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg17247.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	1272686  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: windy build

[8D]
    cool
    After all is said and done, more is said than done.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great, I was going to base my build on the windy as well, couldn't find enough info, my next boat being EP may copy the windy style so seeing your build photos will be good reference.
    Regards
    Nick
    Logan City Marine Modellers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

COOL im glad itll help someone and I have the original plans that came with the kit I can go get em copied and send ya a set if you need it..
    I think the windy would be great with electric power especially with some of the new high power brushless set ups..

Ill snap pics tomorrow of what I got done today...I managed to get the pod assembled and the rudder trimmed and ready to hinge..I bolted the engine mount and motor so I could check prop clearence since im going with the .42 on it...A 9x6 prop cleared the radio box lid but not by much .. by the time epoxy,primer and paint go on there wont be any clearance..soooooo I built an upside down hood scoop into the radio box lid Ill get a pic of it on here in the am..came out looking good and I dont think itll mess with airflow to much.

Got all the wood cut and in place for all the radio gear..using 2 futaba s3003 servo's and my spektrum ds3..

Ill try to get the rudder mounted tomorrow and the top deck...maybee even get the top of the side trips on...then ill sand every thing down nice and smooth and cover it with epoxy and then start painting yeee haww!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks great so far! Are you going to keep it natural or do you have a color scheme in mind?
    Jasper

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

coolio

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MMM think im to messy with the epoxy to do the natural thing..so im planning on sealing with epoxy and then prime and paint.....Thinking about tangerine orange or maybee a turquoise and cream... seems everything I have done latley has been red so time for a change....I am ordering some minuature air brush stencils just for rc work that will let me air brush piles of skulls..might be cool also going to order a set of stencils to do the real flame effect...so who knows I may spray it black and real flame it...nice thing about having air brushes,paintguns and air compressors I can do what I want

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey what size props would you guys recomend for this?? the engine is a thunder tiger gp .42..ive made sure to have room for up to a 9 inch prop

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Definitely be handy to have those plans Nitro newbie but I have a 2 blade 9x6 on my .25 so guessing a 3 blade or 4 blade to load up the engine??
    Someone else will have a better answer Im sure
    Nick
    Logan City Marine Modellers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

9x7 3-blade MAS is what I use on my .40 super tigers and 10x7 on the .46 engines
    Catch a Gator by the Tail and hang on for the Ride!
    Cajun Gator Airboats, M.AB.A

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

THATS EXACTLY what I thought of running Thanks a ton nice to know my thiking is ok....now if my spelling was ok [:-] thiNking even sheesh

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok got a bit more done today..The ruder was mounted used the mini hinges from dubro instead of trying to drill a 6 inch deep staright hole using a piece of music wire for a bit..that seemed like a recipe for disaster to me so I went with the hinges..You can see the modification I made to the radio box lid in the 1 pic hard to tell from the pic but the piece at the back side of the scoop is angled not straight up so hopefully it wont mess with airflow to much...I didnt take a pic and I dont know why I didnt but ill snap a couple more in the am and post of the other progress I made today...managed to get the front top deck on along with the 2 pieces that go beside the radio box lid and also got 1 of the side trip tops installed..soo I only need to install the other side and im done with building and can start sealing and painting..
    I ordered the stencils last night that will let me do some airbrushed skulls..ill have to play with it when it gets in so i can see how it looks ...OH and yes I filled the front full of flotation foam before gluing the top on

Name:	Om32580.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	1275307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa85856.jpg 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	1275308  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking good. Can't wait to see the final paint you do. Skulls or flames will look awsome. Skulls coming out of the flames would look great to if you can't decide which one to do.
    The only reason I go to work is to pay for my R/C habit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ya im seriously considering a pile of skulls with flames coming out of the pile..anyway gotta wait for the stencills to get here..

OK got all the wood on it today and started sanding everything smooth..ill epoxie it tomorrow and start priming on thursday..Im pretty happy with it so far..
    Im going to put some fillets around the fin both top and bottom..I was thinking about putting a couple layers of fiberglass on the fin and onto the deck for some reinforcement.what do you guys think? overkill or not?....

I got a close up of the scoop on the radio box lid so you can see the clearence I have for the prop and also the angle I built into the back of it and yes im aware of the gap Ill fill it with some dynaglass thats what ill use to make the fillets and also to final shape the leading edges on the nose and the fin..its super strong stuff but sands easy so long as you dont let it sit to long before sanding...

Im going to dissassemble the engine and soak it in some berryman chem dip to clean it up real nice.Might order a set of boca ceramic bearings for it..And im going to get a 9x7 3 blade prop for it

The instructions said to put a keel on the bottom I am omitting that detail..my brother in laws windy doesnt have it and runs great without it..I can allways add it if need be...

well heres more pics enjoy...

Name:	Fd90890.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	1276195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To44616.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	1276196   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx61003.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	1276197  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lookin awesome!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks very sleek. This is the first I heard of the windy!! I like!
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dumas still makes the kits not to expensive..instructions and plans could be better but there good enough to get it built...I have a set of plans with tracings of the parts on it I can get copied and send to ya..when they scan em to copy them Ill have them save the files to my zip drive and can e mail em if ya want..
    Also they recomend a .10 engine for this...thats way to small I am putting a .42 on this one my brother inlaw has one with a .32 on it and it runs and handles great.so i think itll handle the added power just fine..and if not I have smaller engines I can put on it..
    Well im headed out to the shop and start the paint process ill take lots of pics so anyone with questions about sealing and painting a wood boat can read this and see the pics and hopefully there questions will be answered....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK todays progress...I made sure all the control rods worked as they are suposed to...I glued in some blocks to screw the tank cover in place and then inserted some brass inserts to screw the stainless button head screws into.I like those over t nuts and use em when theres room.....Then I assembled the fuel tank made sure it fit in its place and ran the lines just to make sure everything clears and nothing is binding or crimped...drilled the hole for the antenae tube on the radio box lid and mounted the control horn on the rudder and hooked up its control rod and made sure it all works smoothly...I made the mistake in the past of not doing this before paint and I sure enough had a problem and messed up paint to fix it..sooo I wanted to make absolutley for sure all the control rods work smoothly....

Next I took everything off and sanded the entire boat as flat and as smooth as I could get it with 60 grit blew the dust off real good and mixed up some 15 minute epoxy thinned it a bit and brushed it on all the top surfaces so in the am I can do the bottom..

I wanted to seal it with epoxy first as I was sanding it I noticed a few low areas in the plywood that would not look good when painted and may affect how it runs so I am planning on putting a very thin layer of bondo on the whole thing so I can make sure its nice and flat..ill make all the fillets for the pod and the final shape on the nose out of dynaglass.. I feel the bondo and dynaglass will stick to the epoxy better than it would stick to bare wood...so tomorrow after the bottom is sealed ill go over everything with 80 grit and then smear some mud!!!!!!

BTW no one has comented on my question about fiberglassing the pod no one has any thoughts about that????

The engine I have for this came to me via a hydro airboat I purchased off ebay..it apears to have very little use on it but it has the usual cruddy stuff baked on the fins and case especialy around the exhaust and didnt look horrific but I wanted it to be nice and clean and shiny...sooooo I tried something I havent used on an rc engine before and it worked fantastic and very quickly...I removed the carb and exhaust and dropped the engine into a plastic tub filled with berryman chem dip..It is intended to be a carberatour cleaner designed to eat all the crud off a carb it works great for that it also eats paint off anything ...well I let the engine soak for maybee 30 minutes pulled it out and brushed it down with a plastic parts cleaning brush rinsed with lacquer thinner and it looks brand new..I made sure to empty the inside of the case blow compressed air into it and then oiled with some marvel mystery oil and spun it over a bit..very happy with how it came out..no crock pots of antifreeze no expensive fuel just chem dip...so now I have another way to clean a crappy engine...dont leave the aluminum parts in it to long if you try this it will darken aluminum if left to long...

Ok ill post pics now yall have funnnn and take care

Name:	Ig12988.jpg 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	1276737   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc93302.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	1276738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ze85110.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	1276739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oi14945.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	1276740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Te48695.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	1276741  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yp93669.jpg 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	1276742  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lookin nice! I have no advice or thoughts about you fiberglassing your boat haha because Im dumb... but I might fiberglass the tip of my boat... i gotta post some pics of close ups of tip of bow... the sides and bottom dont meet exact making a small area that needs something... idk I will take a picture to show ya later

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey what do you need to know about glassing the pod I missed it. I glass all my EDF jets let me know.
    I Ain\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'t Buildin No TuG Boats

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Check out this link www.adrcracing.com A friend of mine who makes a good living painting rc car and truck bodies. you might get some ideas on a cool paint job for your boats he uses the true fire and alot of skully stencils. But you have to remember he is painting on the inside so you might have to reverse your color planning.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now that guy has some painting skillz!
    After all is said and done, more is said than done.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ya he is pretty good. I was going to have him do my wildthing. But i decided to do it myself. he owes me a paint job so all I have to do is either send him an email or put a bit of fear in him

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ive actually bid on one of his truck bodies but it brought way more than I could aford...

My stencils for the skulls came in today still waiting on the true flame stencils I placed 2 seperate orders so its no suprise...

Ive tried my hand at painting the truck and car bodies its not to bad just kinda hard masking inside out and backwards..ill post a pic of the truck I did I know its not a boat but thought you guys might like it anyway.. Did a simple 2 tone on it with a purple graphic seperating the 2 colors wasent a huge challenge.Imfixing to do a mustang bodie for my HPI car going for a duplicate of elanor from gone in 60 seconds.bought the body and matching wheels and tires so it oughta look good when all done..

As for glassing the pod I asked the question...should I put a couple layers of glass over the pod and onto the deck to strengthen the pod up a bit....was hoping the more experienced guys would chime in guess there not watching this build..at least I got a good reply to the prop question....

Got the bottom epoxied today rest of day was spent at docs office for tests...so tomorrow ill get the epoxy sanded down and try to get primer on it..thinking about painting it bright orange metalic with black skullsand anti freeze green flames coming from the skulls...Im going to start working with the stencils during dry time tomorrow..doesnt look like itll be to hard to make it work but ive thought that before!

Yall have funnnn

Name:	Ay73349.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	1277217  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: srw1960

Ive actually bid on one of his truck bodies but it brought way more than I could aford...

My stencils for the skulls came in today still waiting on the true flame stencils I placed 2 seperate orders so its no suprise...

Ive tried my hand at painting the truck and car bodies its not to bad just kinda hard masking inside out and backwards..ill post a pic of the truck I did I know its not a boat but thought you guys might like it anyway.. Did a simple 2 tone on it with a purple graphic seperating the 2 colors wasent a huge challenge.Imfixing to do a mustang bodie for my HPI car going for a duplicate of elanor from gone in 60 seconds.bought the body and matching wheels and tires so it oughta look good when all done..

As for glassing the pod I asked the question...should I put a couple layers of glass over the pod and onto the deck to strengthen the pod up a bit....was hoping the more experienced guys would chime in guess there not watching this build..at least I got a good reply to the prop question....

Got the bottom epoxied today rest of day was spent at docs office for tests...so tomorrow ill get the epoxy sanded down and try to get primer on it..thinking about painting it bright orange metalic with black skullsand anti freeze green flames coming from the skulls...Im going to start working with the stencils during dry time tomorrow..doesnt look like itll be to hard to make it work but ive thought that before!

Yall have funnnn
    There is some good how to do's over on utube of guys doing the skulls. One guy was setting a flame background and using a red oxide to shadow the skulls looked sweet. he was holding the top of the stencil so the top portion was open to the flames. Another was a guy from Kustom color doing a head liner of a truck with a whole skeleton will muscle tones of red still on the bone then a bunch of skulls popping all out around it. Glassing wouldnt hurt for some added strength. I use 3/4 oz and drape it over the whole top of a plane and mix up some denatured achol with 30 minute and use an epoxy brush to spread it. It will conform to just about any radius you want. Before I wet out the edges I trim the glass with a sharp pair of scissors and then wet it to wrap around corners and leading edges. I use about 2 to 3 coats of epoxy. Put one coat wait about 15 minutes then another and then last coat I mix in a bit of micro ballons or baby powder to help fill the weave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast