My Laser Cut Air Boat PROTOTYPE

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Hijikata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Laser Cut Air Boat PROTOTYPE

ORIGINAL: claserdesigns

ORIGINAL: Hijikata

This is really awesome!!! I want to build an electric myself, but I am not quite sure how to mount the motor, I was looking to do a pusher type. Also, how do you set up the steering servo to control the rudders?
I will be selling this kit pretty soon I just finished some touches on the final design, the price for this kit will be $69.99, and $119.99 with Motor/ESC/Prop, and its fastttttt
Man if you are selling these at christmas time, I will personally come buy one off of you

I will be back in home, in Florida, for christmas, and would love to have on of these little guys.

One other question, whats the biggest motor you can have on the ESC you are using What is the max amperage?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:51 AM
claserdesigns
My Feedback: (14)

Man if you are selling these at christmas time, I will personally come buy one off of you

I will be back in home, in Florida, for christmas, and would love to have on of these little guys.

One other question, whats the biggest motor you can have on the ESC you are using What is the max amperage?
The ESC that I'm using is a 40amp , and the motor is an outrunner 2200kv and a 6x4 prop. And to run like this I'm using a 11.1v lipo-2250mAh 30C. I will test the same setup today with a 7.2v lipo for those of you that want to go slower and have safe fun

You can use other motors inrunners and outrunners, the motor bracket has a universal mount, but you will have to keep in mind that a 6" prop is the biggest you can use on this airboat.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:53 PM
claserdesigns

I went to my local lake around 20min from home, with my 2-1/2 years old daughter, had all the gear (batteries, extra prop, ETC) EXCEPT a philips screw driver, I prepared the airboat last night and forgot to tight the screws that hold the servo in place, I did one test and I couldn't controlled propertly, it went crazy to the Right or to the Left without me touching the steering, when I check it everything the 2 screws holding the servo were in place but loose, in other words the steering servo was responding but because it was loose it made the rudders crazy when I went full throttle.

Even with that I think it ran a little better.

Tomorrow again I will take another video with all that fixed and I will add some fins at the bottom to make sure I have control.

I have my GPS ready to get some speed readings too

Here is the video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJvHrS0ET4U[/youtube]

Old 09-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Hijikata

Looks awesome, can't wait to hear the speed readings

I was thinking you might not need to locate your batter that far back if you put a cage around the propeller. Not only would it make the boat safer, but it would also add weight to the back.

Check out some of the ones on [link]http://www.cajungatorairboats.com/[/link] if you are not sure what I mean by a cage
Old 09-25-2009, 03:18 PM
claserdesigns

I was thinking you might not need to locate your batter that far back if you put a cage around the propeller. Not only would it make the boat safer, but it would also add weight to the back.

Check out some of the ones on [link]http://www.cajungatorairboats.com/[/link] if you are not sure what I mean by a cage
I will do a cage for them but I will sell it apart, for those people who want to be safer, but for speed NOCAGE hehe. I'm thinkinh on making the airboat a little longer, but all depends when I fix the problems of the servo and add the fins, and I might raise a little the front lip.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Hijikata

I will do a cage for them but I will sell it apart, for those people who want to be safer, but for speed NO CAGE hehe. I'm thinkinh on making the airboat a little longer, but all depends when I fix the problems of the servo and add the fins, and I might raise a little the front lip.
What is the size now? And I know the Cajun Gators use a slightly raised front lip, give the rake look and it is good for when approaching the water from some angles. It helps keep the nose out of the water
Old 09-25-2009, 09:43 PM
claserdesigns

I was going to raised the lip a little more, but the boat is running very fast and raising the lip will make the boat take flight. I still have to play with the design a little, but I'm almost there, what is holding me is the taking care of my daughter and having the lake a little far.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:43 AM
Hijikata

I was going to raised the lip a little more, but the boat is running very fast and raising the lip will make the boat take flight. I still have to play with the design a little, but I'm almost there, what is holding me is the taking care of my daughter and having the lake a little far.
If you put the battery back into its original spot (if it's been moved) and add the lip on the front wouldn't they help balance each other?

You were discussing moving the battery back to keep the nose up, but if you add the lip the speed of the boat will keep the nose up from the natural pushing of the wind. Or is there something here that I am not quite seeing?
Old 09-26-2009, 08:28 AM
claserdesigns

If you put the battery back into its original spot (if it's been moved) and add the lip on the front wouldn't they help balance each other?

You were discussing moving the battery back to keep the nose up, but if you add the lip the speed of the boat will keep the nose up from the natural pushing of the wind. Or is there something here that I am not quite seeing?
Here is a pic that can explain better the changes I made on the layout and the before and after level of the boat.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Rowboat

That should work a lot better, More control in the turns.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:12 PM
asmithnc

I see no reason why an electric boat need a prop guard.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:57 PM
stackeddeck

How much will it cost?
Old 09-26-2009, 11:45 PM
claserdesigns

ORIGINAL: stackeddeck

How much will it cost?

So far depends on the final material I'm going to use, right now I can't find good quality plywood on1/8" to be on the pricerangeIhad in mind"kit price at $69.99 (no motor/esc/prop) or $119.99 with motor/esc/prop" this price is not final but it wont be cheaper than that hehe, hopefully I can get the material I need at a good price so I can keep the prices lower. The nitro version will be soon available as soon I finish the last touches on this electric one.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:17 AM
Hijikata

ORIGINAL: asmithnc

I see no reason why an electric boat need a prop guard.
A little bit of extra safety never hurt anyone, also makes it a bit more of a replica, and finally it ads a bit of extra wait to the back to help counter the weight the battery was putting in the front (this is a non issue now with the relocation of the battery).
Old 09-27-2009, 07:41 AM
asmithnc

A little bit of extra safety never hurt anyone, also makes it a bit more of a replica, and finally it ads a bit of extra wait to the back to help counter the weight the battery was putting in the front (this is a non issue now with the relocation of the battery).

How safe do you need to make an electric airboat. The prop does not move until you hit the throttle. Throw it in and walk away and let the power flow. I have no idea why it needs one.

Now, combustion engine are different. Once fired they always run and there is a risk.

Once airplane guys go to prop guards I too will also follow.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:15 PM
claserdesigns

and I'm in between this 2 faces.

I added 2 small bottom runners about 10" long each and I raised the front lip with a piece of balsa glued in the front, it improved by not diping the front into the water and the runners helped to go more straight.

but my biggest problem is that the airboat IS TO LIGHT and I lost control everytime I go full throttle on it and hit a wave. the Airboat weights with battery/motor/esc/servo in it 2.08lbs.

Here is the latest video , as you can see I gain more control. I'm almost there.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzvh1vGpm2Q[/youtube]

if you have any pointers that you may add let me know.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:07 AM
nick_75au

I wonder how that would go in smooth water, flat bottom no matter the power source will bounce around like that in those conditions. I would find flat water before adding extra weight.
Nick
Old 09-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Hijikata

as far as adding weight over all, I would think you could use a heavy wood or possibly put some sort of a finish on what you have now. You could also lay fiberglass over it. My other idea is not removing so much wood from the support beams. I noticed that you had cut out a lot of areas, I would think that would reduce a lot of weight and you really only need to cut out the areas that you need, such as where the battery, servo, esc, etc. go.

nick_75au

I bet this boat is super quick along flat water!! It's pretty quick across the pavement, and I would love to see how it moved across wet grass
Old 09-28-2009, 09:30 PM
claserdesigns

Here is a new design to be tested, I made it longer by adding 1.75" inches and raised the motor mount, I also added a bigger front lip to see how it performs like that.

testing will be made as soon I seal the bottom tomorrow. ( I gave the rudders a littleengraving

New design on the left, old design on the right

Old 10-01-2009, 10:01 AM
claserdesigns

Here are some pics of what I have done so far, the new design is 1.5" inches longer and the motor mount have been raised 3/4". I finished sealing it up with resin, and I had some drip from the sides, I didn't realize this until it was dry, but I don't think will affect that much for testing, I also added an acrylic cover to see if I get water inside.

I will be doing some testing in the water as soon I get a Telemetry sensors kit for my DX3.0 radio, I want to monitor battery/motor temps, RPMs etc. to find where or what is causing a problem. it should be here today hopefully.

I will be working on the nitro version as soon I get this design right.

On my to do list are:

1) Adding curves to the edges on the side, adding engraved graphics, thinking about a name for it.

2) Re-design the esc/servo/rx/battery area it has to be waterproof 100%

3) and other misc stuuf.

Here are the pics

Old 10-01-2009, 12:52 PM
claserdesigns

Micro Airboat anyone? , as soon I get the final design ready, I will be making 20 micro airboats (model only non functional) to give it free to the first 20 buyers. It takes less than 5 minutes to put together. :lol:

It measures only 6.5" long, it's just a downsized version of the big one.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:54 PM
claserdesigns

Guys I'm still alive, I haven't tested the new design yet because I want to make HUGE changes, it will have rounded bottom like an old design I did long time ago, but I have to recreate the CAD files because the airboat is no longer with me, I was trying to make it a simple kit to install for begginers but who doesn't want speed? to be able to have speed and control I need the rounded bottom. and a few changes that I will throw from an old design.

I'm moving my little "shop" from my spare room to my 3 car garage, that way I have more space to play with and work faster, I'm setting up a testing tank also to check the balance of the airboat instead of filling the bathtub evertime and making a mess for my wife

As soon I get the old design into CAD files I will add a few changes and start making the prototypes for:

26cc Gasser Airboat
Nitro Airboat
Brushless Airboat

Everything starts today

Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 PM
2manytoyz

Looking good... any updates?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 PM
claserdesigns

Very soon I will have the new design up and running, I'm moving the laser machine tomy garage and I need to set up everything again to start cuttung the parts.

Ihave the Nitro andElectric design ready, and I'm finishing the GAS version also ready.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:39 PM
claserdesigns

New updates coming soon. I have a business trip coming on so it will be around 2 weeks from

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.