My Laser Cut Air Boat PROTOTYPE

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 06:30 PM
claserdesigns
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Laser Cut Air Boat PROTOTYPE

Hello Guys,

I'm designing an Air Boat from laser cut MDF 1/8" forfuture selling and I'm working on the prototyperight now ,reducing weight, testingthe adjustable motor mounts andother stuff,and I was wondering what type of prop should I use. The Airboat measures 15" x 8.5" , I'm using a 6x4 prop and a 2300kv brushless motor with a 11.1v Lipo. My goal is to make a kit with Boat, Motor, Esc and Prop ARR

What prop should I use with the hardware that I currently have? or is the 6x4 a good choice?

The only videos I have so far is on the grass and on the carpet, I will try water once I seal the bottom and add the top cover.

Motor Tested 1,800kv outrunner
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqrRKnenyhs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zZWtY3ZmkY[/youtube]

MOTORTested 3,625kv inrunner
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXpgpzYQFoc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923hOJm53QA[/youtube]

Old 09-14-2009, 11:06 PM
jesupslanding

Default RE: My Laser Cut Air Boat PROTOTYPE

lookin good. but i kno nothin bout electric. im a gasser boy.. there is some here that is gonna help
Old 09-15-2009, 03:04 AM
nick_75au

MDF???

Wouldn't exterior ply at minimum be appropriate, or is this just a trial run?

Other than that, looks like a good build.

Nick
Old 09-15-2009, 04:43 AM
Rowboat

I like your build , looks good and looks like it has lots of power. One question what size ESC are you using?
Old 09-15-2009, 04:57 AM
nick_75au

Looks like a super simple 40 amp from Hobbyking, packaging has changed recently though.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:32 AM
b16a2sir
My Feedback: (3)

If you are going to be selling, I would highly suggest to include the prop shield for safety reasons. Looks like a solid boat and well put together, nice job!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:26 AM
claserdesigns

Yes I choosed MDF because is what Imainly do other parts that I sell, and is light weight and strong, I get super clean cuts with my laser cutter using this material. Using epoxy or fiberglass resing will seal the bottom real good. BUT this is the prototype, I already tested a bare MDF piece under wet conditions to see if I get some expanding reaction like other fiber board materials, and so far nothing happends, the material could chance depending on what happends when I do a LONG test using hot water. I can do this boaton ply, abs, plastic, delrin, acrylic, and other non-metal materials.

A few chances that I will be doing is re-designing the motor mount area ( I will be doing a design for Nitro or Electric motor) the boat will have an universal motor mount base) and adding the prop guard. And making it as light as possible too.

ORIGINAL: nick_75au

MDF???

Wouldn't exterior ply at minimum be appropriate, or is this just a trial run?

Other than that, looks like a good build.

Nick
Old 09-15-2009, 09:30 AM
claserdesigns

The prop shield is on the works, I think I will have the complete boat done for real testing by this weekend.
ORIGINAL: b16a2sir

If you are going to be selling, I would highly suggest to include the prop shield for safety reasons. Looks like a solid boat and well put together, nice job!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:41 AM
claserdesigns

I just realize that the motor I'm using is a 1800kv only not a 2300kv, I will install a faster motor and do another test to see how it works.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:07 AM
asmithnc

As a Prototype it's slow. Whats the weight? I see your tabs all over the place and I think this it's a good idea as seen in the SI3's, you just took it to the extreme. I bet this would be the fastest airboat kit build in the world but I have some issues. You did not ask for advice so I won't. It's nice to see a new guy here with great resourses. Andy
Old 09-15-2009, 11:00 AM
claserdesigns

Wow, I just tested the other motor that I had a small 3,625kv inrunner and this thing really slide on the grass. But I aparently burn the motor because a funny smell came from the airboat, you can see on the second video that it starts to loose power, a few seconds later I got hit with the burn electronics smell. I think the 6x4 prop that I used is to big for this motor.

I tried to flip the AirBoat several times and nothing happend, I think the 6x4 propeller is perfect size for this Air Boat , but now I need to create the correct combo for the Motor (inrunner or Outrunner) and ESC.

It's hard to control the airboat and record at the same time, I'm using a Airplane stick controller
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXpgpzYQFoc[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923hOJm53QA[/youtube]

This is the motor I tested

Old 09-15-2009, 11:05 AM
claserdesigns

ORIGINAL: asmithnc

As a Prototype it's slow. Whats the weight? I see your tabs all over the place and I think this it's a good idea as seen in the SI3's, you just took it to the extreme. I bet this would be the fastest airboat kit build in the world but I have some issues. You did not ask for advice so I won't. It's nice to see a new guy here with great resourses. Andy
Tell me your advise your input is welcome, I want to design a good kit.

Also the motor I tested the first time it was only 1800kv, I just tried a 3625kv motor and now it moves.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:00 PM
asmithnc

You made me smile.....now it has the r's it was missing. My advice would be to change it's designed but after much thought it's what make it different. Usally we use a single sheet form the transom to the bow but like I said before your is a little different.

Suggestions

Materials: Balsa..Ply or combo.... Depron.... Mdf scares me.

Length: 15" is to short. I see 20" to 22". I fear a short boat will do nothing but spin out on the water.

Motor stand: Is the motor getting any cooling.

Bow: Do away with the blunt nose.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:44 PM
nick_75au

MDF is a great material I agree but not for boats or anything that will get wet, it will disintegrate unless completely sealed, even moisture from condensation will affect it. Lite ply I think would be great or one of the plastics for that instant finish, no painting
Nick
Old 09-17-2009, 11:19 PM
claserdesigns

ORIGINAL: nick_75au

MDF is a great material I agree but not for boats or anything that will get wet, it will disintegrate unless completely sealed, even moisture from condensation will affect it. Lite ply I think would be great or one of the plastics for that instant finish, no painting
Nick

Found I new material to use, and I also bought different props and motors to test, I think the complete kit will be ready in about a week, I will offer them without motor, with motor and ESC, and with nitro engine mount. (I'm working in a Hovercraft also) that will be more fun
Old 09-18-2009, 09:35 AM
claserdesigns

I just did a test run with the new Motor and Prop combination and it worked great while it last, I tested the boat in the grass and had almost the same speed like video 3 and 4. But on this test I tried on the street and it ran great a couple of times until I decide to record the video when it took fly and smashed into the ground.

Enjoy the video Click HD for better view. (thank God this is the prototype) the crash let me to a faulty motor mount design, that I'm fixing right now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWVRsdTTunw[/youtube] Right click the video and choose view in youtube if you want to see it bigger

Old 09-20-2009, 07:26 PM
claserdesigns

Here is the finish prototype ready for more testing. (final product would be in plywood)

I have to buy a new 6x5.5 prop to tested (it broke on the crash) the one installed 6x4 and it wont be the same.

I'm going to seal the outside and tested on the water, hopefully everything goes as planned so I can put them for sale on my webpage.

What do you think so far?

Old 09-20-2009, 11:33 PM
RS 38-40
My Feedback: (3)

How were you intending to seal the motor wire hole and the rudder push rod hole ?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:06 AM
claserdesigns

ORIGINAL: RS 38-40

How were you intending to seal the motor wire hole and the rudder push rod hole ?

I will be using a more universal hardware on the final rpoduct the linkage of the rudders, etcwill change,I will be using rubber boots similar this for the wires and push rod holes. For now I can't choose the correct size or hardware to use until I test this on the water

Old 09-21-2009, 09:32 AM
claserdesigns

Ok I did a little test with the 6x4 prop, it worked but not as good as the 6x5.5 prop that I tested before. (i'm going to the hobby shop today to buy some spare props before going to the pond/lake)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDfFK3oYmXs[/youtube]
Old 09-24-2009, 01:48 AM
Hijikata

This is really awesome!!! I want to build an electric myself, but I am not quite sure how to mount the motor, I was looking to do a pusher type. Also, how do you set up the steering servo to control the rudders?
Old 09-24-2009, 03:39 PM
claserdesigns

ORIGINAL: Hijikata

This is really awesome!!! I want to build an electric myself, but I am not quite sure how to mount the motor, I was looking to do a pusher type. Also, how do you set up the steering servo to control the rudders?
I will be selling this kit pretty soon I just finished some touches on the final design, the price for this kit will be $69.99, and $119.99 with Motor/ESC/Prop, and its fastttttt
Old 09-24-2009, 03:41 PM
claserdesigns

Ok guys, FINALLYa water test, it went pretty good but, I need to relocate the battery location to the back, I have to much weight in the front, and I will be adding some small fins at the bottom to get more control.

This is a small test, I will take better videos later on once I finish the new changes.

RIGHT CLICKon the video and choose watch on youtube for HD resolution and bigger size

LAKE TEST (unedited video)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds-WKlWRW1M[/youtube]

LAKE TEST (slow motion)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjqDzyyO_78[/youtube]

STREET TEST (trying to flipped and testing strenght of the hull)
On this test it flipped more than 5 times, one on camera and the others behind the camera when it pass me, motor mount and rudder design holded very strong, I was lucky that the propeller didnt received any damage. The rudders worked as a shield.

More testing to come.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEajsyfEMYc[/youtube]

Old 09-24-2009, 03:55 PM
kieran3008

i so want one of these! ship it to uk free of charge :P, how mush would u charge to ship it id want the one with the eletronics
Old 09-24-2009, 04:10 PM
claserdesigns

ORIGINAL: kieran3008

i so want one of these! ship it to uk free of charge :P, how mush would u charge to ship it id want the one with the eletronics
I'm guessing shipping alone will be around $25-30 for international

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.