Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

hydraulic controls

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:28 PM
greygoose81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydraulic controls

I’ve never liked the way you have had to put the servo box in line with what you are controlling because you are forced to put it in a spot that is not necessarily the best for performance of that platform. I have been working with Kirkwood RC/Mudmasher RC Airboats to solve this issue. I’ve seen people use hydraulics on landing gear for RC airplanes and hydraulics for RC earth movers, but have never seen them used for the controls on RC boats. I thought it would cool to try it out so I made a hydraulic system for my boat. The hydraulic system allows me to put the servo box where I feel it is necessary. It also gets rid of must of the slop that comes with traditional control lines. I have tested the hydraulics and they work better than expected. I actually used them at the last MABA race and placed first in two classes. We are now working on a more compact system that will, hopefully, work on a variety of RC boats.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40813.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1304034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69067.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1304035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72392.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	1304036  
Old 10-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: hydraulic controls

I've seen this system first hand and it does work well. I will also be working with Joey in using this system on some of my boats. Kirkwood RC has been doing a lot of things for the rc airboats, and I use many of their parts on my boats.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:30 PM
crispyspa

That's really cool greygoose. Where do you get your parts from? This might be something I might try but I'm wondering how it would work in the cold.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:12 AM
RS 38-40
My Feedback: (3)

I was at the race and also saw the system in action and was interrested in it . He said the fluid he was using is water to test it . So antifreeze could be used in place of the water . Now saying that one don't know what the antifreeze would do to the hydraulic cylinders . Seems that if its used in cooling systems it would work in the cylinders .
Old 10-29-2009, 09:14 AM
DJLaPalme

A very low viscocity oil should work in the cold. You could also route the hydraulic line close by the engine to pick up some heat. Also insulate the lines from the wind and cold air as much as possible. I bet just keeping them out of the wind would make a big difference. Dennis
Old 10-29-2009, 03:51 PM
greygoose81

Crispy, I am talking directly with a manufacturer to get a better price. The system that I am using right now cost to much to be practical.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:43 PM
pinky_d_brain

What’s the cost from 2 syringes connected to some tubing filled with water and controlled by servo moving them back and forth.
http://www.independentliving.com/pro...?number=182341
http://www.petsolutions.com/default....11127&SID=NXTG
You could use something like the brakes on the large scale cars but it’s expensive from what I no
Old 11-02-2009, 06:45 PM
greygoose81

It would be real cheap. And it would work if you were pushing it only. But if there is any air in the lines at all, when you pull on it the air will expand and make it spongy. Plus the line would need to be strong enough so it would not collapse under a vacuum.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:18 PM
pinky_d_brain

I agree to bad we couldn’t get a sealed plunger for a 1/4 scale car shock and add 2 nipples to ether end and use that they are seals already it would create something like what you are using already but I don’t no the cost of this
Old 11-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

If you are looking at keeping cost out or cheap then use push rods or pull/pull systems. Joey is working on getting the price in a good range, but with this system there is a cost. Many times I wanted to move my controls around and could not, from the limit of connecting rods, but with this system I can place the radio box any where that I like. This system showed to work well, IMO trying to build this system home made with commend items would be a waste of time. Many things can work, but to get something that works well is so much better.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:03 PM
greygoose81

Got some new cylinders in today. Going to try some different types of fluid to see what will work best for all environments.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:48 PM
scott17

How about mineril oil????
Old 11-10-2009, 07:32 PM
greygoose81

i am looking in to using mineril oil and some other oils. to make sure it will work in cold weather, i am going to put the system in the freezer to see how it will perform in freezing temps.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:48 PM
2manytoyz

Freezing temps? In that case, use Vodka. Doesn't freeze, and NO problem if you spring a leak, providing you have a mixer. Plenty of volunteers for cleanup.

Nifty idea guys, hope you get a good working setup for a reasonable price.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:43 PM
greygoose81

Greygoose vodka would be the stuff to use, but that would shoot up the cost.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:51 PM
DJLaPalme

Might cause the boat to weave too much! Mine weaves enough as is. Dennis
Old 11-18-2009, 12:43 AM
slowstang88

this is too cool, you guys are tops!! if antifreeze is thick enough to use it would be optimal because it contains corrosion inhibitors and wont freeze. hopefully this is a help!!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:50 PM
DJLaPalme

How is the testing coming along Greygoose? Were you able to freeze it? Pinky D Brain had a good idea if those shock cylinders are not too expensive. Your Dad could drill a small hole at each end, thread it, and put a pressure fitting on it from a nitro engine muffler. Dennis
Old 11-19-2009, 11:45 PM
greygoose81

I think in a shock there is an orifice in the piston head. So if you were to try to use a shock you would need to disassemble it, take out the springs, some how plug the orifice and then drill and tap for ports. That’s a lot of effort to try and make it work for something it is not intended to do. Keep the input coming. Here is a quick drawing I made of how I think a RC shock works.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38028.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	1317285  
Old 11-20-2009, 07:13 PM
2manytoyz

No to "steer" the conversation off course (bad pun, sorry), but we use Sierra antifreeze (50/50 water) in a cryogenic airpack at work. The fluid travels through tubing in a suit worn by the user. The fluid is chilled via a heat exchanger (cryo fluid in the pack), and a demand breathing pump cycles the fluid. Harder you breath, the faster the pump, the cooler the suit. Ideal for fire fighters, workers in SCAPE gear, and some Homeland Defense and DOD applications.

[link=http://www.2manytoyz.com/work/LCGwPack.jpg]Liquid Cooled Garment pic[/link]

Bottom line, this fluid gets chilled quite a bit (dunno specific #s), never freezes in this application (surprised me), and is non-toxic.

Certainly worth a try.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:27 AM
greygoose81

Ethylene glycol would work well, but since the system will be going on a platform that draws kids around, I would like to fine a fluid that is non toxic. Found this on the net about ethylene glycol.(antifreeze)

The major danger from ethylene glycol is ingestion as it is somewhat toxic with LD50 = 1.4 g/kg for humans. Due to its sweet taste, children and animals will sometimes consume large quantities of it if given access to antifreeze. Upon ingestion, ethylene glycol is oxidized to glycolic acid which is, in turn, oxidized to oxalic acid, which is toxic. It and its toxic byproducts first affect the central nervous system, then the heart, and finally the kidneys. Ingestion of sufficient amounts can be fatal.

2manytoyz. What is the name of the fuild that you are talking about. That is a cool suit that you are working with.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:59 PM
2manytoyz

Sierra Antifreeze. Less toxic. [link]http://www.sierraantifreeze.com/[/link]

"SIERRA Antifreeze/Coolant is a premium quality, propylene glycol (PG) based antifreeze that provides engine protection comparable to that provided by premium conventional ethylene glycol (EG) based antifreezes.

Because of it's PG formulation, SIERRA Antifreeze is less toxic than conventional EG based antifreeze and, therefore, is safer to pets, people and wildlife in cases of spills, leaks, boil-overs or careless disposal."

There is a risk the cooling suit could be damaged/leak inside the exterior butyl rubber suit, we use this antifreeze because of it being a less hazardous exposure.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:00 AM
wave waker

very cool,,,[sm=thumbup.gif],,do u have more picture? and how much it weigh?
Old 11-23-2009, 12:15 PM
greygoose81

will have some more pics soon. not sure on the weight. maybe 1/2 lb or under.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

If you get another set, let me know I'm interested in trying these out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.