Search
Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

how do you waterproof your electronics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 10:55 PM
saleens7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you waterproof your electronics?

im going to have two exposed servos...ive heard that they can be waterproofed...how would you do this??
Old 01-15-2007, 07:26 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: how do you waterproof your electronics?

Buy yourself some CORROSION X .
Then take your servos and RX apart . ( remove covers )
Then take the CORROSION X and soak the insides for about a minute ( this way , everything inside gets coated )
Then , take and pour the remaining ( that is left inside your servos/receiver ) and pour it BACK into the original container .
Then let hang UPSIDE down overnight to dry .

Reassemble your servos and RX and put back into your boat . Wha-la ... water-prrofed !

here is a link to a good deal on some right now :

http://www.mastonsrcmarine.com/My_Ho...les/Page5.html

Greatest stuff for water action RC since the invention of the radio gear !
Old 01-15-2007, 07:29 PM
saleens7

i already put silicone under the servo arm and in the seams of the servo....if i soaked corrosion X in the servo, wouldnt the motor get floddd in it??

the Rx will be in a radio box, thats already taken care of..
Old 01-15-2007, 08:02 PM
TERBObob

Yes .. it WILL get flooded , UNTIL you drain them . ( thats the idea so that EVERY part gets coated with the Corrosion X )
The silicone WILL give you problems ... believe me ..
Please RE-READ what I wrote above and then if you still have questions , please ask .
Old 01-15-2007, 09:20 PM
saleens7

yes, but i heard the motor inside will sease up if any corrosion-x gets in it....ill just coat the electrics in it, not the motor....
Old 01-15-2007, 11:55 PM
89ram

saleens7, put your servos in balloons. tie the end shut around the wire. poke a pinhole to stretch over the servo output, then put the arm back on the servo.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:56 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've used Aeroplate from Aerotrend Products and The Stuph. They are basically the same as Corrosion X. The price might seem a little high but you can do a lot of servos and recievers with one bottle and it's only the price of a cheap servo.
Water will get into everything, even if it's bagged and in a radio box. I've had a radio box full of pond water, drianed it out and immediately fueled up and ran again. It's even brought dead RX's back to life!
Old 01-16-2007, 03:22 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

saleens do as turbobob says the corrosion x is used on full sized marine electronics and ive read ships that were sunk and boats that had electrics coated in it were fine after days under salt water ,the electrics that were missed got fried and corroded away!!.we dont get corrosion x here but ive found a similar product and im ordering some this week.it is also used on motors and moving parts too as it coats everything as said with a very fine film that is 100% water proof and it doesnt conduct electricity either so therefore is safe on electronics of any kind.protects against salt too!!.does what it says on the tin as they say,as said before the silicone does not work ask me how i know that one? also the baloon thing doesnt work well either been there done that ,far safer to coat with corrosionx you can also use the corrosionx grease instead i beleive but might be harder to coat everything that way.as ron says too ive read spraying unprotected servos and rx with it after a dunking has brought them back to life i lost my rx last week this is why im ordering this stuff as my box leaked as did the ******* baloon inside it with my rx in it [:@].10-15$$$ isnt much think of me its £15 here thats arround $30 !!.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:00 AM
89ram

terbobob, i clicked on the mastons link. but i don't know what to do to order?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:09 AM
martno1fan

try ebay there should be some on there if you do a search and its normally cheaper.lots of ebay shops sell things cheaper than most usual places in my experience!!.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:27 AM
LtDoc

'TERBObob' and Ron are both right. That stuff does work, but don't expect miracles. The problem with sealing servos is the 'sealing' part, NOT easy to do and they still work, lots of friction, you know? The best method of not getting water in the electronics is by... not getting water in the electronics. If you ever figure out a fool-proof way of doing that, and you will tell me about it first, WE will make a fortune!
- 'Doc
Old 01-16-2007, 11:33 AM
martno1fan

i think i was right too lol but its ok ill let you off this time haha
Old 01-16-2007, 03:15 PM
saleens7

ok, corrosion X it is....but even though you say it will drian out of the motor, some may still get in it...besides, the motor can survive if it gets in any water, in fact, to break them in, your suppost to dunk them in water....

i wish i could put them in a radio box, but their placement behind the motor gives them no room..
Old 01-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You can break in a new set of brushes by dunking a running motor in water but the motor has to be dried and lubed immediately afterwards. That trick has been around for years and I did try it once.
Some have tried using products like Plasti-Dip also. It might work somewhat but is messy to work with.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:00 AM
RS 38-40
My Feedback: (3)

This link will take you to a site with a TIPS & INFO button at the top of the page . CLICK on it and then scroll down to WATERPROOFING INFO . There are three different How Tos . http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/MainPage.htm
Its nearly the same information as has already been posted .
Old 01-17-2007, 05:10 PM
saleens7

i think ill use the corrosion X though....ill need to take apart the servo once in a while and it would be good not to have to break the old coat of rubber and put on a new one every time i do that....
Old 01-26-2007, 09:12 PM
kd7oir

B shure to use dielectric greese on your all connecters. It helps keep out contaminates and keeps them from oxidising too, besides keeping water out.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:17 AM
saleens7

ok...thanks...
Old 01-29-2007, 09:33 AM
TERBObob

Try this one :

http://www.mastonsrcmarine.com/My_Ho...es/Page36.html
Old 12-15-2009, 03:59 PM
dvonlangen

It really isnt difficult to waterproof your electronics. First take a can of plastidip. Take your servos and take the servo horns off. After dunk the servo in the plastidip and let dry. With the reciever put it in a balloon and have the wires going through the open part. ziptie the balloon shut and squirt some silicone sealer in the hole. If your like me and too lazy to do this to the servos you can buy traxxas waterproof servos http://www.traxxas.com/products/acce...ies_servos.htm
As for overall waterproofing watch these vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=792xi...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFTFP...9F38F&index=21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUSmK...9F38F&index=58
Old 01-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Giggles13

How do you get the reciever in a baloon i tried but i couldn't find a ballon with a big enough opening to get it inside.I don't really need it to be water proof so much as water resistant or more so snow resistant. Please help.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:06 PM
jasperrc

You could also use small latex or rubber gloves.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:04 PM
damfurst

The best way to waterproof rx's or esc's is to epoxy coat them. Offshore Electric sells this [link=http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-dp270]epoxy[/link] which works well, has longer work time and will do several items. However, you can use just about any 2 part epoxy. You can either brush it on or I use the unused portion of a small zip tie to work it around all the connections. Either will work well. I understand that there is also a conformal epoxy spray, but don't know where you can find that. Once applied you hang your board up and let it dry and then you can put it back in the housing or leave it out if you want. I've not had any rx or esc burn out from water since I've been doing this. I think there's vids on youtube and tips written both in these forums and on OSE's as well.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Mr_Byte

I once read that using beeswax was good, as you can pack it in to seal up, much like the inside of an epoxied ECU or such on a car, where even if it's only a blown transistor, you can't fix it due to the epoxy.

And Beeswax you can melt back out with hot water, or so they said. I'm planning on trying it soon.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

I painted some of the dip in rubber coating they sell for tool handles on the board in my 2.4Ghz FASST Rx, it seemed to work well I don't know how wet it has gotten but it was in a boat that flipped 3 times and sat upside down in the water for a long time and still works perfectly, I'm sure it got wet just don't know if it got dunked, servos I just seal the seams in the case with CA and put a greased o-ring on the output shaft under the servo arm...seems to work well if they are not submerged more than a few minutes...but I use cheaper servos too so it's not a big deal if they get scraped its 12-15 bucks...I have used epoxy before too with good results...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.