Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

tune pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:04 PM
greygoose81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tune pipe

ihave a 58cc zenoah on my airboat. i looked around on the net for a tune pipe, but no luck. where can i find a good web site for tune pipes.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:57 PM
dadkins

Default RE: tune pipe

Try here - they even show you how to make your own muffler - look at the how to articles.
http://www.modelgasboats.com/html/index.php?section=1
Old 10-30-2008, 04:59 PM
greygoose81

thanks for the info
Old 10-30-2008, 05:18 PM
dadkins

After looking a little more on that site -they are mostly geared towards wet pipes for inboards - not sure why they wouldn't work dry. Good zenoah info there too.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Lester Burch

Tune pipe info.
http://www.rcboat.com/pipe.htm
http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/javapipe_en.htm
Old 10-30-2008, 07:34 PM
blowbuggy

the problem with a tuned pipe is that most of them are 10 to 14 inches long and you would have to aim it to the front of the boat
Old 10-30-2008, 07:47 PM
greygoose81

would that make it run different? and what if i mount it straight up?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuned pipes on the airboats do not really offer a lot of advantage. Tuned pipes don't really start working until the rpm's are up high. Now on the other hand, if you have a outrigger or some other type of hydro hull, with a ducted fan type engine or a high rpm engine with a small prop then the tuned pipe will give a good amount of help towards the engines rpm and hp.
If your just looking for sound and looks [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSCF1&P=ML]this pipe[/link] fits the zenoah 27cc engine. Not sure how much difference in size this would be from the 58cc.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:37 PM
greygoose81

ok. i was looking at the old threds and ran across this one. a tune pipe gives you more rpm? is this the way to go if i want more rpm or am i just wasting my time.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 AM
Selph-Inflicted

Regarding nitros.....every tuned pipe that I have used has given me more rpm's. Some pipes, better than others. I like UltraThrust and JETT Stream. Depending on what you are looking for out of the motor, either low end or high end, will determine what type of pipe.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:37 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joey on the engine you are wanting to set up, I'm not sure how well on will work for you. A good tuned pipe is adjustable, it can be set for more torque OR more RPM, it can be fine tuned to get the best of both. I would think for a engine the size you have I would look at a goped place. They may not have adjustable pipes, but bet you could find on that would wrap around the engine. I have tried a few tuned pipes on the 27cc engine, there was a little gain in rpm and sound was improved.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:40 PM
greygoose81

this is a cool site. http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/javapipe_en.htm
Old 03-30-2010, 09:53 PM
res3567

Hey....I want a tuned pipe for my OS .46 MAX FX. Which do you recomend? I would like to have smooth idle, great midrange and top end like my neighbor'slittle Suzuki RM 80 mottocrosserhad many years ago.(1982...the engine turned 12,500 RPM and was the leading top end monster out of the big four).Rocket type top end....Also my LHS owner told me I should go with a 10x6 prop....I am currently running an 11x 7.5. It is for my Aquacraft Airforce. I want it to run like your boats......
ORIGINAL: Selph-Inflicted

Regarding nitros.....every tuned pipe that I have used has given me more rpm's. Some pipes, better than others. I like UltraThrust and JETT Stream. Depending on what you are looking for out of the motor, either low end or high end, will determine what type of pipe.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:13 AM
Selph-Inflicted

ORIGINAL: res3567

Hey....I want a tuned pipe for my OS .46 MAX FX. Which do you recomend? I would like to have smooth idle, great midrange and top end like my neighbor's little Suzuki RM 80 mottocrosser had many years ago.(1982...the engine turned 12,500 RPM and was the leading top end monster out of the big four). Rocket type top end....Also my LHS owner told me I should go with a 10x6 prop....I am currently running an 11x 7.5. It is for my Aquacraft Airforce. I want it to run like your boats......

Most tuned pipes are long and the added weight stretched out in the rear can change your boats balance point. I would recommend using an [link=http://shop.vendio.com/rossienginesusa/item/2037426827/?s=1269935762]Ultrathrust Sport Pipe.[/link] Just bolt it up and go. You will see a smoother transition and some more rpm's. On the 46FX, you can run a 10-6 or 10-7, depends which works best for your boat. I personally like to run an 11-4, 11-5 on my 46's.

You will see a difference when you add the pipe and change the prop......the added sound gives the boat a bit more character also. [8D]
Old 03-31-2010, 10:12 PM
res3567

Het thanks for the link. I got my motor tonite(OS Max .46)and installed it.....it sounds noisier than the motor hat came with my Airforce (I believe it is a Thunder Tiger Pro 46). Not muffler noisy but rolling mass noisy.....don't know ifthis is normal or not. Also, on that tuned tipe by Nelson, looking at the pics, does it have a fitting for the pressurize tank hose?

Hey....I want a tuned pipe for my OS .46 MAX FX. Which do you recomend? I would like to have smooth idle, great midrange and top end like my neighbor'slittle Suzuki RM 80 mottocrosserhad many years ago.(1982...the engine turned 12,500 RPM and was the leading top end monster out of the big four).Rocket type top end....Also my LHS owner told me I should go with a 10x6 prop....I am currently running an 11x 7.5. It is for my Aquacraft Airforce. I want it to run like your boats......

Most tuned pipes are long and the added weight stretched out in the rear can change your boats balance point. I would recommend using an [link=http://shop.vendio.com/rossienginesusa/item/2037426827/?s=1269935762]Ultrathrust Sport Pipe.[/link] Just bolt it up and go. You will see a smoother transition and some more rpm's. On the 46FX, you can run a 10-6 or 10-7, depends which works best for your boat. I personally like to run an 11-4, 11-5 on my 46's.

You will see a difference when you add the pipe and change the prop......the added sound gives the boat a bit more character also. [8D]
Old 04-01-2010, 06:01 AM
Selph-Inflicted

Yes, you can't see it in the picture from the camera angle that they used. It is very close to the manifold.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:59 AM
res3567

Well Chris...looing at the Ultra-thrust muffler site, they sell Axe Rossi engines. Be doing my research and it is all good. I might have to get one of these lil monsters....they are packing more hp and higher rpms..........