Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

RC Hovercraft Project2

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:31 PM
ALPHA__OMEGA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Hovercraft Project2

oh and if you're thinking about using 2 fans for propulsion, you may consider V-pitch motors...i was half way through converting a typhoon to dsm2 and other "big boy electronics" before i turned my attention elswear, but the was the best option for quick rudder and fwd/ rev control.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Andersean

Alpha Omega
In reply to your post about skirt material, i have found a dead umbrella, which i will use.

In replyyour second post this is my first custom build and my second build, so i will leave v-pitch untilafterihave gotten tobrushless and lipo.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Andersean

I have been tight on time this summer but i see free time in my near future, so i am hoping to get some progress. It is a good thing i have done all my cutting because my dad is going away for a bit and doesnt trust me with his tools, just the drill which i bought for him...

If i can figure out my camera i will have some pictures soon (technology doesnt like me...).

I know i should have asked this earlier, but what kind of glue should i use, normal wood glue or something i have to go and buy?

Also i am going to try to get a flotation cusion that uses an extremely low density foam for flotation instead of styrofoam, because i have seen styrofoam that washes up on the beach i would like to use my hovercraft on and the foam is all deterierated and falls apart when you pick it up, and i dont want that to happen to the foam on my hovercraft.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:31 AM
Andersean

Yesterday and today i made alot of progress, i have cut all the pieces, made 2 rudders that move together placed supporting bulkheads and glued them, prepared motor mounts (i found a use for the foam pieces, the motor cowlings in particular which are perfectly 3 1/2 in in diameter), and i am about to prepare the electronics, after that i will place the motors and servos and do a test.

In the next week or two i will have bought that flotation cushion and installed it.

Thats all i have for now, hope to have more later.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:40 AM
Andersean

I have the whole thing put together except for the skirt and flotation. All the electronics work so thats good. I also formulated a backup plan in case either the skirt doesnt inflate at all or any other non electrical failure that would take a while to fix. Here my plan is...i build an airboat. i have seen enough threads to be able to build one from scratch, all i would need is to know ehat to waterproof the hull with.

Edit: I cant figure out my camera so i cannot put a picture up, but i can assure you it is as i posted before.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Andersean

Long time since I have been here, but now I have started work again. My grandpa is in town and is giving me ideas. This Friday im going on a ship, but I will be able to do some work starting Saturday. For flotation I'm using a part of a styrofoam cooler. For the skirt, I shall use a reusable shopping bag. Thats all the news Ihave, so yeah.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Andersean

I have some development. I found the perfect skirt material, a giant blue IKEA bag. It is the perfect size and has all the excess material in case i need a new one, or I mess up. oh, and, very little sewing is needed.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:57 PM
shender944

I have never built an RC hovercraft but I am currently in the process of building a 19' long hovercarft that will seat up to 4 and use a subaru E82 for thrust and a 22hp motor for lift. The plans I am building from come from www.hovercraft.com its the 19p if your looking at the site. They also sell plans for rc hovercraft.

[link=http://www.hovercraft.com/content/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=88&zenid=d99bd2009b98564c84e6759c26cb483b]RC hovercraft plans[/link]
Old 07-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Cklasse

I just bought a plastic kit of a 1/72 scale LCAC and intend to convert to RC. Its a challenge, but I will give it a try.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Andersean

So, I made a bit of a breakthrough, I was at the park by my house and found an xbox 360 all beat up. I took it home and opened it up, and there they were, two beautiful 12V fans. Since I plan on running the skirt fans separately I will get 24V of batteries and have them run continuously. The I Ikea bag mentioned in my last post was kind of a disaster, and got lost in my recent move, so I am going to use my back-up bag and knowledge of my failure to create the new skirt. Just thought I would post something in here, since i have been hoping to get away from all the schoolwork and work a bit on my hovercraft.

-Andersean.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:44 AM
rcairboater

nice find