Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Alligator tours prop question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Remote

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alligator tours prop question.

I have a prop question for you guys. I just purchased a Alligator Tours Airboat. I'd like to install a 3 blade prop but don't know how to read a props description. (New to buying props.) The hobby shop said he had a 3 blade prop that would work, but with the pitch it had it would be like a car taking off in third gear. Can somebody give me an idea of what prop I would need. It would make ordering a prop alot easer.
Thanks guys...
Old 04-30-2010, 10:34 PM
71dartswinger

Default RE: Alligator tours prop question.

one inch smaller and one inch more in pitch
9x6 2 blade = 8x7 3 blade
make sure they sell you a pusher prop
i changed my 10x6 2b on my BSB to a 10x8 3 blade
more get up and go but less top speed then prop came loose and flew to bottom of lake so i am back to two blade
Old 04-30-2010, 11:09 PM
DJLaPalme

If you get water across your deck you will find that a three bladed prop will stall the engine a lot more often than a two blade will. I believe it is because the blades are heavier and carry more energy than the thin blades on a three blade prop. I had a three bladed prop on my big gasser airboat and it would hardly move on the ground. I put a two bladed APC and it moves easily. It also is faster. Dennis
Old 05-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Remote

Thanks for the reply guys. Maybe I'll just stick with the 2 blade prop. Any advantage/disadvantage going with a wood prop?
Old 05-01-2010, 07:22 AM
res3567

I read somewere that wood props will weaken and splinter when exposed to the water. This will cause a failure and damage to your watercraft and if you are in close proximity, serious injury.
ORIGINAL: Remote

Thanks for the reply guys. Maybe I'll just stick with the 2 blade prop. Any advantage/disadvantage going with a wood prop?
Old 05-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Remote

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll also stock with the plastic prop. *LOL*
Thanks again for the help guys....
Old 05-01-2010, 10:37 PM
DJLaPalme

A wood prop will get a piece taken out of it everytime water hits it. It will be unbalanced rather quickly and come apart shortly thereafter. If you have ever seen what a prop can do when it disintigrates you know why most people stay away from wood props on an airboat. I used one when I was in high school on a home made boat that was made out of a piece of 1/2" plywood and when it came apart the pieces of the prop were imbeded in the plywood. I was glad it was no where near me when it happened. Needless to say I learned young to respect "toys". Dennis