Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alligator tours prop question.

I have a prop question for you guys. I just purchased a Alligator Tours Airboat. I'd like to install a 3 blade prop but don't know how to read a props description. (New to buying props.) The hobby shop said he had a 3 blade prop that would work, but with the pitch it had it would be like a car taking off in third gear. Can somebody give me an idea of what prop I would need. It would make ordering a prop alot easer.
    Thanks guys...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Alligator tours prop question.

one inch smaller and one inch more in pitch
    9x6 2 blade = 8x7 3 blade
    make sure they sell you a pusher prop
    i changed my 10x6 2b on my BSB to a 10x8 3 blade
    more get up and go but less top speed then prop came loose and flew to bottom of lake so i am back to two blade

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you get water across your deck you will find that a three bladed prop will stall the engine a lot more often than a two blade will. I believe it is because the blades are heavier and carry more energy than the thin blades on a three blade prop. I had a three bladed prop on my big gasser airboat and it would hardly move on the ground. I put a two bladed APC and it moves easily. It also is faster. Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the reply guys. Maybe I'll just stick with the 2 blade prop. Any advantage/disadvantage going with a wood prop?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I read somewere that wood props will weaken and splinter when exposed to the water. This will cause a failure and damage to your watercraft and if you are in close proximity, serious injury.
    ORIGINAL: Remote

Thanks for the reply guys. Maybe I'll just stick with the 2 blade prop. Any advantage/disadvantage going with a wood prop?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll also stock with the plastic prop. *LOL*
    Thanks again for the help guys....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A wood prop will get a piece taken out of it everytime water hits it. It will be unbalanced rather quickly and come apart shortly thereafter. If you have ever seen what a prop can do when it disintigrates you know why most people stay away from wood props on an airboat. I used one when I was in high school on a home made boat that was made out of a piece of 1/2" plywood and when it came apart the pieces of the prop were imbeded in the plywood. I was glad it was no where near me when it happened. Needless to say I learned young to respect "toys". Dennis