Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

EDF Airboat

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:02 PM
gonggongboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDF Airboat

I was wanting to build a Streamline EDF Airboat with a 3.5in 7 blade EDF, powered buy a feigao 12xl on 6s lipo.

First of all is that a safe setup?
What would the speed be like?
What size hull should i make?
Were do i get plans for an Airboat?

I have never built a boat (complety finished one i should say), but how hard is it to build a AirBoat hull.

There are just a few things i want to clear up before i decide to build one.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:58 PM
DJLaPalme

Default RE: EDF Airboat

I hate to be the one to break the bad news to you, but, several have tried to build an EDF and as far as I know none of them have worked. Apparently the EDF can't overcome the drag to get up on a plane. Give it a shot. You could be the first. Maybe! Dennis
Old 06-10-2010, 11:33 AM
ISIRC10

For the same amount of money you spend on the ducted fan, you can get a prop setup with about twice the thrust... plus it won't be an amp hog and your run times will be longer.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:00 PM
pinky_d_brain

they work but differently from a air propped boat I'm working on one but taking forever. for their size they put out a lot more thrust then people think making most of the edf boats I have seen dive making them un able to plain off. if you plan to build one go with foam and keep it vary light, as well a hydro stile would work best or something without much drag. an edf don't have the low end thrust or acceleration compared to a prop they are geared more for top end speed so if you can get it going without much resistant's it will be faster than a propped boat of the same power plant. if this is your first boat I would not recommend it but if you have the equipment already why not =)
Old 06-10-2010, 02:31 PM
gonggongboy

I might put in a Predator Rigger and see how it does.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:12 PM
ISIRC10

ORIGINAL: pinky_d_brain

they work but differently from a air propped boat I'm working on one but taking forever. for their size they put out a lot more thrust then people think making most of the edf boats I have seen dive making them un able to plain off. if you plan to build one go with foam and keep it vary light, as well a hydro stile would work best or something without much drag. an edf don't have the low end thrust or acceleration compared to a prop they are geared more for top end speed so if you can get it going without much resistant's it will be faster than a propped boat of the same power plant. if this is your first boat I would not recommend it but if you have the equipment already why not =)
I was just mentioning that it would be much cheaper to run a prop setup with the same amount of thrust... but have a go, if it doesn't work out as you anticipated, you will have a very cool looking boat at the very least!

If it works out, I might just have to make room for another airboat in the shelf!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:55 PM
DJLaPalme

When I said "maybe" on my earlier post, I was not questioning your build talents. I meant I don't know if anyone else has ever made one that works or not. Give it a go and let us know how it is going. Only way to accomplish something is to try. Dennis
Old 06-21-2010, 02:56 PM
ISIRC10

This is my "dream" setup, something that I would love to try out given the funds. I think your choice to put it in the predator outrigger is an interesting choice. (especially since that particular craft benefits from the lift created by the water-prop). I have built one and once it gets on plane, it needs very little thrust to stay up there. If you keep things light, you will have a very good chance of getting it up on plane... once again, this is all in theory!

My dream setup:
This fan:
www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp
This motor:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5158
This ESC:
This battery:

$272... without shipping... one can dream about it... one day.... (I don't know if I would have the balls to go WOTwith that setup though)
BTW, my estimate is that the power setup above hould push a medium-sized gasser hull to its limits.
so, gonggongboy, what are your plans? This is your thread, don't want to hijack it, just throwin' around some ideas.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 06-27-2010, 06:12 PM
rcbif

there's one on ebay. he said its never been on water but I bet it has and just dosent go anywhere

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ducted-Fan-Jet-A...item27b2e38826