RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

OS FF-320 powered airboat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Tedster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS FF-320 powered airboat?

Hello everyone...
I have an OS FF-320 flat four 4-stroke glow engine that I've never run.
http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg1320.html

The specs say it produces around 4HP@8,000 rpm.

I originally planned to use it in a 1/3 scale airplane, but since I've crashed all my airplanes at one time or another, I don't really like the idea of possiblypiledriving such a beautifully-made, expensive engine into the ground!

So... I thought it would be really cool to use it on an airboat, not only to reduce the chance of it being damaged, but it would also have a really nice, scale appearance without being cowled in and hidden.

This engine is designed to swing props in the 18X10 - 20X10 range on an airplane, so I thought maybe a 16X10 3-blade pusher propwould work. Yes? No?

I can fab some sort of exhaust system to route the exhaust back toward the rear.

Based on what I'm seeing of other airboats using engines of similar power,am I correct in sayingI will need to run it on an airboat between 40 - 46" long X 20 - 24" wide, something in that neighborhood?

Would there be any problem running this engine in a pusher config on a boat? Does anyone know any reason why this wouldn't work? Are there any other considerations / potential problems anyone can think of that I would need to consider?

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:13 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: OS FF-320 powered airboat?

keeping it cool. will not have much airflow over it and it WILL run very hot.

That 16x10 three blade i dont think will be enough, unless an APC prop.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:33 PM
ptr34

i run a 16x10 3blade on my 50cc twin turning it 8100 it has 4.8hp. should be enough prop for your motor
Old 07-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Tedster

Are multicylinders any more susceptible to running hot in a pusher airboat application than any other 4-stroke glow engine?
Old 07-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Selph-Inflicted

ORIGINAL: Tedster

Hello everyone...
I have an OS FF-320 flat four 4-stroke glow engine that I've never run.
http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg1320.html

The specs say it produces around 4HP @ 8,000 rpm.

I originally planned to use it in a 1/3 scale airplane, but since I've crashed all my airplanes at one time or another, I don't really like the idea of possibly piledriving such a beautifully-made, expensive engine into the ground!

So... I thought it would be really cool to use it on an airboat, not only to reduce the chance of it being damaged, but it would also have a really nice, scale appearance without being cowled in and hidden.

This engine is designed to swing props in the 18X10 - 20X10 range on an airplane, so I thought maybe a 16X10 3-blade pusher prop would work. Yes? No?

I can fab some sort of exhaust system to route the exhaust back toward the rear.

Based on what I'm seeing of other airboats using engines of similar power, am I correct in saying I will need to run it on an airboat between 40 - 46'' long X 20 - 24'' wide, something in that neighborhood?

Would there be any problem running this engine in a pusher config on a boat? Does anyone know any reason why this wouldn't work? Are there any other considerations / potential problems anyone can think of that I would need to consider?

Thanks!
This has always been my "dream" motor to build a scale looking boat. Just haven't got around to it yet....lol

Your looking at about a 40+" boat. Pushers will run warmer than pullers. There are a few things you can do to combat that. First, do not get the boat too heavy. The more the motor has to work to move it, the more heat it is going to generate. Do not run dry ground for extended periods of time under static load.

I believe this prop would be better for you than the 16x10 3 bladed.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX1642&P=7

Looking forward to seeing your creation.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Tedster

ORIGINAL: Selph-Inflicted

Isn't that one a "puller" instead of a "pusher?" As much as anything, I was thinking 16X10 3-blade because it was the largest pusher I found.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:41 PM
ptr34

it is a puller.  my motor makes more power than your and it runs great. bought a four blade zinger 16x14  the equalint to a 22x8 and motor wouldnt turn it up. heard u can turn some puller prop around and run them . but they cant be very efficient. because airfoil is wrong. if motor turn clockwise it would work. plus there was a guy on there building a alunium stepboat with that exact motor on it.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84..._2/key_/tm.htm
Old 07-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Selph-Inflicted

ORIGINAL: Tedster

ORIGINAL: Selph-Inflicted

Isn't that one a ''puller'' instead of a ''pusher?'' As much as anything, I was thinking 16X10 3-blade because it was the largest pusher I found.
Forgot about your application. As stated by ptr34, if the motor spins clockwise, you can use a puller as a pusher. Your motor spins counter-clockwise.

I bet that 16x14 4 blade would do well with your motor. You got 100cc sitting there. I believe the 16x10 3 bladed may not be enough, could be wrong. I haven't ever had the opportunity to play with the large cc motors. I do know I have seen some 16x10 3 blades get spun up with less cc's than 100.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:14 PM
ptr34

its only 53.2 cc going by the specs 13.3cc x4. may try to return my motor to run the 4 blade. dont now if it will work. if not going to make a 6 blade 16 or 15 by 7 prop for it
Old 07-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Selph-Inflicted

ORIGINAL: ptr34

its only 53.2 cc going by the specs 13.3cc x4........
Yeah, I know. It looks like a 100cc though, don't it. I meant that in a sarcastic way and didn't put any emphasis on it. I can see how it may have been misleading...[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 07-10-2010, 07:51 AM
Tedster

I would like to keep it in pusher config for more scale look, but if I can't make it work as a pusher, I'll reluctantly make it a puller.

16X10 3 blade is still the largest, highest pitch pusher prop I've been able to find.

Does anyone know where I can get plans for a 40 - 44ish X 20 - 22ish hull... or better yet, a kit? I don't have a bandsaw or other means handy to cut the plywood pieces.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Selph-Inflicted

(moderator can delete)
Old 07-10-2010, 10:40 PM
caylen17
My Feedback: (2)

I will make you an aluminum hull to your exact specs. PM me if your intrested. Also check out my build thread I did a lot of research on props and its on there.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Tedster

Thanks for the offer, Caylen! I'll keep that in mind. Right now, I'm working on an engine stand out of aluminum rod and plate, TIG welded together. I plan to either make or buy a welded prop cage much like I've seen in various pics on this site.

I haven't decided what I want to do on the hull just yet, as I need to research and find out what design features and proportions make a good airboat hull, as well as what I will need dimensionally for my engine as well as to properly balance the combined weight of my engine, engine support, cage, and rudders all at the rear of the boat.

I hadn't given any thought to an aluminum hull, but that might be a good way to go. Another member said he does plywood laser cutting, so I may go that route, but I'm not ready to start on a hull just yet. If I do decide to go with an aluminum hull, I will definitely shoot you a PM.

I will check out your build thread for prop info.

Thanks for your help!

Ted
Old 07-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Lester Burch

The biggest thing that I see with a 4 cycle engine is went water gets in the hot engine and hits the hot valves and they warp.
The best RC Airboats out there at some point will turn over and get water in the Engine