RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Airboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/)
-   -   FLORIDA RC AIRBOATERS (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/10531978-florida-rc-airboaters.html)

Mr Cajun Gator 05-22-2011 06:21 PM

RE: FLORIDA RC AIRBOATERS

ORIGINAL: Selph-Inflicted

I have access to a 5 acre pond on county property here in Okeechobee County that there is no need to purchase a membership to run at. Nor do we need insurance to run there.

I honestly don't see many spending $50-75 to run a few times out of the year when there are ways to do it freely.

Like I said, I have a manicured pond that we can run at free of cost. No weeds, the grass is mowed and maintained. My county is centrally located and could draw boaters from the north and south.

Chris are you willing to host a organized rc airboat race at this location? Or do you have more in mind of hanging out running airboats with a race here and there?

asmithnc 05-25-2011 02:49 AM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Cajun Gator

Chris are you willing to host a organized rc airboat race at this location? Or do you have more in mind of hanging out running airboats with a race here and there?

I'll say this... In the future we will hold an (organized) event but for now we are more focused on crawling before we walk then run. At our last meet we had just a few boats that would fit in an organized race. The other boats would be on their own since they were the only one in a class. Thats the beauty of our event, we hold open challenge races. My. 46 flatty took on two big gassers and we had a blast. I can't remember anyone not having the chance to run or hear any complaints other than the (wind). We are open to ANY boats in ANY class. Once the number of people grows the events will change but for now we have fun.

If the MABA would like to host and event with the RCAA than that a huge plus for ALL. We are open and willing to help and the great thing is the county is wanting to help us with a free event. Just ask.

Not to push any buttons but the MABA has a forum but it's closed to the public. If you would like to host a duel event and push this fun hobby forward for ALL open it to ALL. Again I'm not here to push, just asking question since the subject of forward momentum for the hobby as been opened.

Lester Burch 05-25-2011 04:17 AM

The input that I have received from those that are interested we have more than passed what we need to charter a club. I will contact them and we will set up a meeting.

davids rc 05-25-2011 12:40 PM

Hi guys im new around here but im currently building a rc airboat and need a little help i have a 1.2 hp 25cc weedeater motor with a master air screw 16x10 pusher prop i have a carbon fiber hull (32"x17"x2.5") and it seem to be to heavy it will move on concrete but will not move on grass and ideas or should i just build a new hull out of wood n e help would be great

pinky_d_brain 05-26-2011 08:57 AM

Lester is wanting to set this up so how about when we get that done we bring it to the water propped organizations and see if we can join as a division and set up our own events / help them set up and have some races at there's.
Being that IMPBA & NAMBA are " RC Boating Associations" has anyone contacted the board and found out what they can do for us. We all know we are not allowed to join in on their events because they do not have classes set up for airboats and would be unfair as well there are no regulations in place in their organization. but if there was someone willing to set this all up why would they refuse.
We would need to set up everything for this and bring it to them as a proposed division of their organization. we would also need our own board and not interfere with their side of things. combining the interest would allow for lower costs for everyone all round.
wet and dry props conquering the forces of water together [8D][8D]

DJLaPalme 05-26-2011 10:23 AM

Lester contacted both organizations and they did not seem interested. He will have to give you the particulars, but the only group to respond positively was the Academy of Model Aeronautics. They will work with us. Go figure, two r/c boating groups basically said "not interested", and an airplane group is willing. IMPBA and NAMBA need to work with ALL r/c boat groups. Their is a big advantage in having as many taxpayers in your organization as possible. Dennis

Lester Burch 05-26-2011 11:32 AM

PINKY_D_BRAIN you have a good point. I have contacted IMPBA & NAMBA and they are totally against Airboats and the RC part of APBA is now operating under NAMBA rules. If we could get our foot in the door that would be great and have a division like the combat boats. We do not have to run with the water prop boats.
Thanks for your input

greygoose81 05-26-2011 03:51 PM

The purpose is to give the RC airboater of fl the opportunity to race under professional conditions. With lap counters, time clocks and all tools necessary for a professional race. All airboats will have a class. Gas, nitro, air rudders, water rudders ext.

Andy. I agree we must crawl before we can walk but we have been crawling for a while now, maba has been racing and the rcaa has been setting speed records. Its time to pick up this hobby and teach it how to walk. In my eyes the best way to get this hobby walking is to have events in various public places so the kids and adults can come out and see the boats run and maybe eventually they will start working on there own boats. At past races that I have attended the spectator turn out has always been good. I'm sure that some of the people that witnessed airboats running by skilled divers felt like they had to have one. Thats where manufacturers come in, if they are attending a race and a manufacturer has a both set up, the people that were impressed with the boats my buy one or at least get info on how to contact them in the future. Its a win for everyone the racers,the spectators, and manufacturers.

pinky d brain. It would be nice if the water prop guys would except us, but for now they will not. after we show them how an organized airboat race is ran and the crowds it draws, then they may take notice.