RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Airboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/)
-   -   Convert Shockwave 26 (Proboat) to aitr boat (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/11584822-convert-shockwave-26-proboat-aitr-boat.html)

alex r/c 08-12-2013 02:15 AM

Convert Shockwave 26 (Proboat) to Air Boat

1 Attachment(s)
As title says...

I have a Shockwave 26 hull thinking of converting it to air-boat.

(I have radio gear + servo + brushless + prop + esc from other rc stuff)

I would really appreciate your opinion.

Does this worth the effort?

What are to pros & cons of this kind of conversion?

Thank you for your time

Alex

this is the boat:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1907115

yellowufo 08-12-2013 04:57 AM

How wide is that boat.?. not sure it would work well, might just twist itself round and round

alex r/c 08-12-2013 10:04 AM

Thank you my friend for your reply...

Well the dimensions are:

7.4 inches (19cm) wide
26 inches (65cm) long

I read somewhere the ratio for an rc airboat is 1.75 (long : wide ratio)

My boat ratio is 3.4!! I think too narrow.... is this correct?

yellowufo 08-12-2013 10:49 AM

Not sure about the ratios.. my foam boat is 30 long 11 wide flat bottom and on ice i have torque flipped it with the motor at stock height now my motor is .25 higher and a 9.8 prop so i know i need to b carefull, on land and thr floor it is not a problem but on ice i ned to throttle up slowly...
But you have a deep v im just thinking it will b top heavy but try it thats all i can suggest and the fun part of it.. but i dont think it wil work...

alex r/c 08-12-2013 11:18 AM

You made me thinking...my friend....
Also noticed the back side of this boat is around just 4.8 inches tall -maybe I have an issue with heavy load this side and not enough clearance from water entering the hull.

If I will give it a try I let you know. Thank you for your help indeed...

Last minutes thoughts: Maybe I will take the route of scratch-building a new r/c air boats from spare parts I have in my lab (see here)

*delete M i k e u p delete* 08-15-2013 10:32 AM

No comment!

1QwkSport2.5r 08-15-2013 06:40 PM

I've considered building a mono-hull airboat but I just haven't gotten around to it. The 7.4" width is going to be too narrow, no doubt. The length isnt bad though. Along Mikeup's thought, If you came up with another Shockwave hull, connect the two hulls together and use a BIG motor and a BIG battery and really scoot.

BUT, likely its not worth all the effort to convert a mono hull wet-propped boat to air power. A scratchbuild is in order here I think.

alex r/c 08-15-2013 09:23 PM

Thanks for the info guys! So better got with scratchbuild route...!

You were very helpful...

I will start with this setup here (as today starting our vacation trip and I want a quick setup to take with me for having some fan in tha calm sea! I know I have to waterproof everything from the corrosive salt etc!)

But I will gine a scratch build airboat a try in sea water and let you know!

Thanks again!

ANY IDEA how I can protect the motor from sea salt?!

*delete M i k e u p delete* 08-16-2013 05:04 AM

I feel like i've let you down and not meaning to do at all, but Cajun of Liberia, LA helped me out a long time ago with advise and he was known for his knowledge. I wish all the best.

alex r/c 08-27-2013 11:12 PM

Thanks Mike...!

alex r/c 08-28-2013 02:08 AM

Finally I decided and took the scrath-build route... se here my results so far...

*delete M i k e u p delete* 08-28-2013 05:22 AM

Sorry, to have given bad advise.

crispyspa 08-28-2013 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mikeup (Post 11602188)
Here's a hint; tapper the bottom edge of body in with sandpaper and the bow too. This will lessen bottom surface some and increase speed .

Except at the stern. Where the bottom meets the stern, the corner should be as sharp as possible to allow the water to release. A rounded corner there will create a vacuum and slow you down.

*delete M i k e u p delete* 08-28-2013 08:40 AM

I'll resign from site!

1QwkSport2.5r 08-28-2013 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by crispyspa (Post 11602329)
Except at the stern. Where the bottom meets the stern, the corner should be as sharp as possible to allow the water to release. A rounded corner there will create a vacuum and slow you down.

This guy knows what he is talking about. Transom/keel edge needs to be sharp. I learned the hard way on my big outrigger.