RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Airboats (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/)
-   -   Your opinion please. (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/1405732-your-opinion-please.html)

dirtman-RCU 01-06-2004 12:05 AM

Your opinion please.

1 Attachment(s)
I got bored last winter and started a boat project, only to realize that it would never be a good wet prop driven hull. After going through some posts here I now wonder if it would make a unique air-boat? Too narrow? Might be fun to try.

pro27 01-06-2004 12:17 AM

RE: Your opinion please.

What are the dimensions, length & beam?

The shape of the sponsons seem pretty rounded, but would possibly make a good slider. Stability may be a minor problem (depending on beam), since as an airboat, the CG would be high. But would make for some interesting turns.

dirtman-RCU 01-06-2004 12:44 AM

the beam is 10" and the length from the tip of the sponson to the transom is 34". I thought about making the keels a bit sharper...I don't know? I've got a .40 K&B laying around doing nothing.

pro27 01-06-2004 01:08 AM

If this were my project, I would first trim off the rear protrusions of the sponsons so there would be a flat, single transom. (shorten the length a bit)

The second thing I would do is finish it and see how fast she would go with a 9x6 prop on that K&B:D

I think it would be fast in the straights, but I would want to slow down a bit for the turns.

TERBObob 01-06-2004 01:43 AM

Hey DIRTMAN ,
My opinion .... got for it ! I think that you might have a pretty interesting setup there . The only thing I would do is smooth out the bottom points of the sponsons ( the part where it touches the water ) . It might cause turning problems by kind of acting like a skeg ( on both sides )
Shoot , and if worse comes to worse , throw her my way and I'll pop a modded 230 PUM into her booty pushing a backcut 275 with a half cut QD pipe and REALLY make waves ! :)
Now seriously .... LOVING "woodies" ( wooden built boats - :eek: ) , I say go for it ... even for a water prop driven hull . ( but of course , gotta finish her up first - :D )
There ain't NOTHING like the JOY of getting her all done and then running her and having a winner ! Built from scratch - the ONLY way to go !
( BTW - same goes for an airboat for water ... and if for land/snow/ice , I would DEFINATELY smooth out the bottom pointy rail type section - you will get NO turning on anything other than water , and that is also questionable with it that way . )

and that is just IMO .[8D]

Keep us posted on your decision and of course progress !;)

dirtman-RCU 01-06-2004 01:52 AM

Thanks for the advice! You've got my interest peaked and I will start working on it this coming weekend. Will keep you posted. Maybe I'll be back on the water this spring.:D

pro27 01-06-2004 02:22 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: TERBObob

Hey DIRTMAN ,
My opinion .... got for it !

TERBO............
What's this [sm=confused.gif]

I tawt the jib of the dyslectic polack was my job :D

Someone needs some caffene or sleep:D:D

pro27 01-06-2004 02:23 AM