RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Airboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/)
-   -   Attn: BUSINESS PEOPLE - UPDATE (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/3428493-attn-business-people-update.html)

Ron Olson 10-06-2005 01:29 PM

Attn: BUSINESS PEOPLE - UPDATE

I've noticed that especially here in the Gas boat forum that we do have some members that are manufacturers or have an R/C -related product or service. So far, I can't complain at all about any of you and appreciate the help that you've been.
The RCU policy does state this also:

If you are a manufacturer, vendor, sponsored representative, retailer or the like for an r/c related company or product you must identify yourself in your signature. Any member affiliated with a company not identifying themselves as such is at risk of revocation from RCU. This is identified, but not limited to a member who gains anything financially whether in cash, product, discount or the like.

This can be a good thing for you in a way so don't be afraid to let the other members know who you are. There are other things on the policies that should be read also to keep you legal in here. One of those is that you can't use your business web site as your screen name, like www.soandsoboats dot com (not a real name I hope).
If you have any questions, feel free to PM or e-mail me.

Captain Ramius 10-06-2005 03:58 PM

RE: Attn: business people

Define "or the like"

If I get information from a "supplier", "vendor", "manfacturerer" that helps me win a tangible asset at a race then I'm to indicate this in my sig?

Seems like its none of RCU biz who I'm freinds with.

Just how are we suipposed to do this? I sat down and tried to describe my relationship with my friends and its like 5 pages.........

Ron Olson 10-06-2005 11:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Captain Ramius

Define "or the like"

If I get information from a "supplier", "vendor", "manfacturerer" that helps me win a tangible asset at a race then I'm to indicate this in my sig?

Seems like its none of RCU biz who I'm freinds with.

Just how are we suipposed to do this? I sat down and tried to describe my relationship with my friends and its like 5 pages.........

No.
If you are a Manufacturer or work for one, it has to be shown. Part of this came about as we do have a lot of employees of a major Manufacturer as members so they could very well show bias towards the product that their company produces.
If a Manufacturer gives you some tips that helps you win a race, that would be nothing new. They want their product to do well. That follows the old adage of car makers, "What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday".
If you work for or own a Hobby Shop, then you must identify yourself as such. We've had some of those also trying to push business their way or trying to talk about them as a third party when they are the actual employee or owner.
If your are sponsored by someone which is a rarity in boat racing as technically a boat racer is supposed to be strictly an amateur so I don't see this applying to any of us.
I didn't write the rules or policy, they were in place long before I got the Mod job.
Just about everyone in this part of the site has complied with the rules as they apply to them. As a whole, I've got it easy compared to what the other Mod's go through. The rules on this site are different from a lot of the other boat forum sites and some people just assume that they're all the same when they sign up.

Justaddwata 10-09-2005 11:39 PM

You certainly make a very valid point there Ron. Only when you know all the facts (or at least some of them) as to who the information is coming from (and why) do you know if your really getting GOOD info.

At the same time "This is identified, but not limited to a member who gains anything financially whether in cash, product, discount or the like" could be cleaned up a little.

Case in point - I get discounts from several manufacturers (sometimes substantial) but am no dealer or sponsored boater (just have a lot of boats and therefore buy a lot from several people). At the same time I have never (and would never) make a recommendation based on any bias other than personal preference/experience. I have encountered a lot of junk out there and will certainly caution boaters against such.

IMHO your only going to make a good forum a better forum if such bias can be recognised.

Captain Ramius 10-20-2005 05:48 PM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3459096/tm.htm

post 14

I see no indication that ACLAZER is dealer or builder in his sig , yet its apparent by the post.

I don't have any problems with the rules , just that they SHOULD BE followed by EVERYONE.

Ron Olson 10-20-2005 10:40 PM

I don't know if Dom has an actual business, it's something that I'll have to ask him. I know that he is doing a lot of R&D work for Andy at AC Model Boats and has built boats for other people.
I'm giving everyone some time on this matter and I haven't seen Dom posting in here for a while.

Captain Ramius 10-21-2005 04:16 PM

oh really?
try this:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3437986/tm.htm

post#23

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3459096/tm.htm

post # 11 ,14

Ron Olson 10-21-2005 10:56 PM

I do have a message sent to Dom, I'm just waiting for an answer.
Unless he is part owner of M&D Designs I see nothing wrong right at the moment.

ACLazer 10-22-2005 09:09 AM

I replied to your PM last night and sorry I didn't respond in here sooner but I didn't see this. I did read this Thread awhile back and saw that it didn't involve me in anyway and never even looked at any of the new posts that were made after that. I will give "you" an explanation but only because of the respect I have for you and your job Ron and NOT for the sake of Captain what so ever. I'm also a Moderator and know what a thankless job it can be most of the time.

I don't own a Hobby Shop or business nor am I part owner in any RC Boat related businesses. I do build RTR boats on a very small scale for a very few select people when I have the time and they dont mind waiting. It seems like I have been doing less and less recently. I am very close to Andy at AC Model Boats and yes, I do testing for him on occasion with his new products only because he runs at 4000 feet and I run at 900 feet elevation. We are very good friends and I think he builds the best quality and most durable hulls built of all RC Boat Hull Manufacturers. Just look at one of his hulls in person and I am sure you will agree. I am also very close to Matthew at M&D designs Racing, we are very good friends and I wish I was part owner. I also believe that Matthew and his partner Mike build the best quality, most durable, and yes, even the most powerful Modified Zenoah's of all the builders out there.

Not sure what Captains' problem is, but maybe a Cruise and time off would help him :D
Probably someone I had to Ban in another life.

I dunno, guess I just like the best of the best [:-]

[link=http://www3.telus.net/acboats/Home.htm]AC Model Boats[/link]

[link=http://www.mddracing.com/Home_ban_Ls.htm]M&D designs Racing Zenoahs[/link]

Ron Olson 10-22-2005 11:07 AM

People post all the time about businesses that they've had great service with or recommend for finding a needed part, nothing at all wrong with that.

Captain Ramius 10-22-2005 04:41 PM

Try explaining to a couple of teenagers why the post (post no.1 stating RCU policy) at the start of this thread seems to only apply to some people and not to others.

As for the chillpill and the other links , thats a nice try at being smart , sorry but I didn't find it humorous.
I don't have "issues" with anyone as long as the playing field is level. If I have to conform , then everyone has too.
All ACLAZER needs to do is make his signature conform to the rules and it won't be a problem. What is so hard about that?

Ron Olson 10-22-2005 05:25 PM

There is nothing against RCU rules that he has done wrong..
I've built, rebuilt and repaired boats for friends and have been there with people when they had their maiden voyage of their boats, this does not make me have to state that in my signature. Dom prefers to run AC boats but he has experience with other brands. Some of his postings today and in the past have recognized other brands and has even recommended them to people asking about those.
I've done a boat review on another web site long before I even joined this site. That does not make me one of the type of people mentioned above.
Why this rule is in place I don't know the complete reason why but only from what I've seen from my experience. I've had people come into the boat forums posing as a third party asking questions about boats from a certain web site. The very same postings were also used on other forum sites but with some slight editing of his words. He did the same thing for planes, cars, heli's and boats. This person was not only banned form this site but others. This is the type of person in my opinion are who we are really concerned with.

ACLazer 10-22-2005 07:39 PM

Your right, I edited the Pill thing out just for you.

Lots of guys have Handles as Boat Names, get over it :eek:

I did get your PM but won't respond to it. Not wasting my time getting into a verbage battle with you, your not worth it .

Captain Ramius 10-22-2005 08:02 PM

I'm a paying customer.... I'm not worth it? Stellar attitude! guess who gets my biz?

I do appreciate the other consideration. Too bad your sore attitude over a measly signature interferes with a more productive discussion.

ACLazer 10-22-2005 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Too bad you don't have better things to do then complain about a measly Internet Handle instead of Posting about more productive discussions or helping a fellow boater with a question :D

What business ? I don't have one.

I dont have time for this nonsense or you ....

Justaddwata 09-07-2008 03:08 AM

I have just sent out requests to 5 members who have overlooked the above request.

Members who cannot comply will have their memberships adjusted to ensure compliance. These are rules that apply to EVERYONE.

Certainly let me know if you have any questions regarding this or any of the site rules.

Matt - RCU Boat Moderator.