RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Airboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/)
-   -   Would this work ?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/4547386-would-work.html)

AJ1202 07-26-2006 12:46 PM

Would this work ??

Hi all, I new to boats so I don't know squat so bear with me, I have an idea I wanted to try but not sure if it will work so here goes
I want to build a 120% hydro foamy, but build it up strong and then build the center cowling tall and install 2 EDF 55 motors in it stacked on top of each other, I'm guessing total weight would be around 22 oz when done, I am thinking of making twin verts and steering it like a normal airboat, the part I'm trying to figure out is would the EDF motors push it fast enough to plane out or would it be a dog, I can go with single prop motor and even brushless but I liked this idea, also should I step the fuse booms like for the flyer or keep them flat on bottom, and one last question for now is how do you figure the right point of ballance for a boat, I am familiar with CG for planes but not boats
Thanks for any suggestions or help

monstermaker13 07-26-2006 12:52 PM

RE: Would this work ??

are you talking about it flying?

AJ1202 07-26-2006 01:05 PM

No, I don't want it to fly, I just want it to be a boat only, I like the design of the hydro and being as this would be my first boat I want to keep it simple, motors ESC RX and 1 servo for steering, but I want it to be able to move across the water not just put put :D
I know if it doesn't plane it will just drag itself through the water

monstermaker13 07-26-2006 03:19 PM

oh, i thought you were talking about the flying hydro foams.

AJ1202 07-26-2006 04:00 PM

Well maybe my original post was confussing so let me try this again. I want to build a hydro boat, using the plans for a hydro flyer but make it more solid than the flyer is, then install 2 EDF motors inside a cowling to push it, I'm trying to find out if the EDF motors will push it fast enough to plain out and run decent or will it just drag itself around, I now understand the steps are needed so that's no longer a question. I am building a seaplane now and when it's done I want to build a hydro boat. I just wanted to get some help so when I build it it will run good and not be a dog. I see many fine looking air boats and stories about them here so I was hoping someone would share some of their experience to get me going in the right direction, I want it to go about 15 to 20 mph, good speed for a beginner I would think

monstermaker13 07-26-2006 07:56 PM

if you have 70.00$ you can buy a hydro foam kit from red at hangat one hobbies mand put a brushless motor on it and use one servo to steer. i have his kit and it was put together great. it is very fast on the water{over 20mph}. if you already have the radio equipment you just have to get the brushless. but if you'd like to make youre own i can get you some plans for it if you want.. i just have to look in my files.

AJ1202 07-27-2006 04:11 AM

Monster, Thanks for the offer but I have the plans, I prefer to build my own. I have all the equip including brushless motors, I am into flying and just wanted to get into the boats some because I have lakes everywhere, I have 3 in the neiborhood here, I know brushless would be very fast, I just wanted to try duct fan but don't know how fast it would be, I thought it would be cool. I do need help learning how to ballance a boat for optimal performance, and I have seen reversing ESC mentioned, I don't understand that, is that so the motor can be reversed while running, if you were to build a hydro would you use verts to steer it or a water rudder. I have so much to learn here