RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Airboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/)
-   -   New plastic gasser (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/6671723-new-plastic-gasser.html)

gasmanjc 04-11-2008 09:22 PM

RE: New plastic gasser

now your just showing off:)

mjderstine 04-14-2008 05:43 PM

okay, so you built this thing from 1/4 inch plastic that you got at some vendor correct?

have you ever thought of making all the panels from 1/8 luan plywood? ive helped build 1/4 scale aircraft bilt from luan ply and its strong as nails.
next time you build one it may help keep the weight down.

all in all, i admire the ingenuity you have there.

crispyspa 04-15-2008 12:59 AM

ORIGINAL: mjderstine

okay, so you built this thing from 1/4 inch plastic that you got at some vendor correct?

have you ever thought of making all the panels from 1/8 luan plywood? ive helped build 1/4 scale aircraft bilt from luan ply and its strong as nails.
next time you build one it may help keep the weight down.

all in all, i admire the ingenuity you have there.
Thank you.
1/8 " plastic......but...yea, there is a vendor close by. I have made a boat from 1/4'' baltic birch 5 ply for the ribs and stringers and 1/8 " 5 ply baltic birch for the skin...... [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3964321/mpage_1/key_inch/tm.htm]50 Inch[/link] ......but the first time I took it out in the road, a rock punched a hole in the bottom.

I like building with the plastic because...I can run this thing over concrete, gravel, rocks....pretty much anything, without heavy damage. when the bottom gets too scratched up, I just lightly sand and run a rag soaked in MEK over the bottom to shine it back up. :D

crispyspa 04-27-2008 05:49 PM

Yes I was busy today. I have a video for you. Enjoy!

[link=http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/crispyspa/Kamikaze%20gasser/?action=view&current=Kamacopy245MPH.flv]26 LB. flatbottom speed.[/link]

mjderstine 04-28-2008 10:30 AM

i like the look of the wooden you made. but i can definitely see the benefit of the foams being able to run on ANY surface. wood can be quite brittle where rocks are concerned.

the the MEK pretty much melts the edges all together and makes a good seal right?

crispyspa 04-28-2008 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: mjderstine

i like the look of the wooden you made. but i can definitely see the benefit of the foams being able to run on ANY surface. wood can be quite brittle where rocks are concerned.

the the MEK pretty much melts the edges all together and makes a good seal right?
No foam here....LOL. Just hollow plastic. And you are correct on the MEK, but I also take it a step further and lay a "bead" of homemade plastic glue on the inside to be sure.

mjderstine 04-28-2008 01:11 PM

i think i meant plastic and wrote foam. typo's abound when working in an office all day.

how much trouble is it to convert a chainsaw or weedwhacker motor into a rc gas motor? i have used g-38's extensively, but never a direct conversion.

crispyspa 04-29-2008 12:04 AM

Just depends on the engine brand and how you plan to start it. A weedy conversion for a puller style boat is easy if you plan to flipstart it. A chainsaw conversion is a bit more tricky if you plan to keep the pull start.
Then there is the availability of prop adapters, I have mine made by people I know, for free...or at least a "cup of coffee" There are people who sell prop adapters for weed eaters, but not a lot of chainsaw adapters.

The thing that I like about the chainsaw conversion is the fact that you can run puller props in a pusher set-up...larger prop selection.:D

mjderstine 04-29-2008 07:14 AM

having a large prop selection is key to the larger gas engines. they can have really good performance or completely dead. i have seen a prop be the different in 6-7 pounds of thrust out of 36 total pounds, just from a prop.

rickster3057 04-29-2008 01:47 PM

Hey Crispyspa,
Can i be really cheeky and ask you how much for a kit or fully built up plastic hull,just the hull, please huh?
And how much to post to the UK.
Thanks.
Rickster3057.

asmithnc 04-29-2008 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: rickster3057

Hey Crispyspa,
Can i be really cheeky and ask you how much for a kit or fully built up plastic hull,just the hull, please huh?
And how much to post to the UK.
Thanks.
Rickster3057.

I got to see his work at a Florida meet june of 07. Simply perfect.... I too, one day would love to have a gasser from him. He is an A+++ builder.

jesupslanding 04-29-2008 05:25 PM

i would like to have one too! :D

crispyspa 04-30-2008 01:09 AM

Man you guys make me blush. LOL Thanks for the compliments.

Rickster, Ive never really added it up...but, the cost of making a hull only would probably be around 100USD. probably less..
The Hull weight and size would make them pretty spendy to ship overseas...approx 15 Lb hull weight. From the looks of things, without having specific information, the cost of shipment to the UK could be about 200-400 USD. [X(]

rickster3057 05-02-2008 06:23 AM

Hi crispyspa,not fair cant you move to the uk, LOL,
thanks for looking in to all the costs for me, at a $100 bucks the hull is really cheap,just a shame about the postage,hohum,maybe i should visit the states again soon.lol
rickster3057

rickster3057 05-02-2008 06:29 AM

hi crispyspa, sorry forgot to add, you build damn fine airboats man .
It would be cool to have a crispyspa built airboat challenge cup.LOL:D
rickster3057