RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Airboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/)
-   -   New plastic gasser (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/6671723-new-plastic-gasser.html)

crispyspa 11-25-2007 04:41 PM

New plastic gasser

1 Attachment(s)
After much contemplation....I decided to make another plastic hull airboat. This design has been borrowed from Hooty301 (with blessings) and his legendary, wall climbing "Kamakazee" airboat.

44" long 20" wide and 4" deep. A poulon Wood Shark (36cc) from a previous build will be used for power.

89ram 11-25-2007 08:57 PM

RE: New plastic gasser

that looks pretty sweet! what sort of plastic are you using, and how are you gluing, adhereing, etc?

crispyspa 11-25-2007 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: 89ram

that looks pretty sweet! what sort of plastic are you using, and how are you gluing, adhereing, etc?
Thanks!
I get the 1/8" ABS plastic in 4 x 8 sheets from a local company called Regal plastics . cost is around $40. I put it together using Methyl Ethyl Ketone, or MEK for short. It is a solvent normally used in painting (I think) but it melts the ABS quite readily. I also make a paste glue using the MEK and ABS scraps that is used for sealing the joints.

Weight as shown: 22 LBS. hoping to stay right around 25 LBS RTR, which will be about 10 LBS lighter than my last one. It may be heavy...but it's almost bullet proof. :)

jasperrc 11-26-2007 01:37 PM

Can't wait to see this one finished!

crispyspa 11-27-2007 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did a strength test and a float test today....I will need to close up the transom. [:o] There goes the cool design.

dadkins 11-27-2007 02:09 PM

Floats a little low huh. If you keep it going - up on plane - no problemo.
Its a shame to change that nice hull.

crispyspa 11-28-2007 03:13 AM

ORIGINAL: dadkins

Floats a little low huh. If you keep it going - up on plane - no problemo.
Its a shame to change that nice hull.
........I still have to add the cage, which will weigh around 3.5 LBS. yEEsh! I'll build the cage first, then close in the back if I need to.

shaunmichaeljohnson 11-28-2007 05:46 AM

yeah try it first;)
it is a really nice build and i'm planning an ABS boat some time in the future:D
maby i'll go with the kamakaze design too[&:]:D

if it doesent sink under the cage weight then give it a go because the water WILL clear out as soon as it moves.

shaun

TERBObob 11-28-2007 07:52 AM

Heck with closing her up ... living up in Onalsaka , that white stuff is soon to hit and stay . Keep her as is for the winter , and THEN modify if needed .
( snow runners are LOTS more fun that running on water - that is soon to be FROZEN [:o] )

dadkins 11-28-2007 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Check out this cage - made of an old bike rim - aluminum - super light 1 lb at most. ok - Its ugly - but very functional .
Ok - it's not really a cage - but a rollbar !

asmithnc 11-28-2007 10:12 AM

Looks like another winner from the ol' Crispy's workshop. Keep us posted on the build.

hooty301 11-29-2007 01:11 AM

Sweet work![8D]

As far as the floating issue goes, not sure how the extra weight from the cage is going to effect it but I think it should be fine.
Id definatly try it first before you close it in.

crispyspa 11-29-2007 02:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys!
I have formulated a plan to keep the cage weight to a minimum. I think 1/4 x 1/4 square and 1/4 x 1/2 Aluminum will be the building material. It'll be much like this other cage, but with only 1 hoop and not as much bracing. BTW the one in the pic is 4 1/2 LBS.

dadkins 11-29-2007 10:08 AM

Those must be solid sqare metal rods used to build that. Cuz MAN that seems heavy, does that include the gas tank?
Your motor doesn't mount to the cage does it?

crispyspa 11-30-2007 03:22 AM

Those must be solid sqare metal rods used to build that. Cuz MAN that seems heavy, does that include the gas tank?
Your motor doesn't mount to the cage does it?
Yea...solid aluminum. It is heavy, (including gas tank) but you have to remember it was made to house an 18" prop. It was also made to withstand severe abuse.

crispyspa 12-08-2007 11:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: crispyspa

Thanks guys!
I have formulated a plan to keep the cage weight to a minimum. I think 1/4 x 1/4 square and 1/4 x 1/2 Aluminum will be the building material. It'll be much like this other cage, but with only 1 hoop and not as much bracing. BTW the one in the pic is 4 1/2 LBS.
The problem with plans...? Sometimes they go right out the porthole..LOL The way I beat on my boats, I figure I may as well add the second hoop at the cost of adding 1 LB.

vamp131 12-09-2007 04:58 AM

it it not a little top heavy how does it run in water than nice job looks very fast films be great

RS 38-40 12-09-2007 08:56 AM

Crispyspa is there any chance you could post a couple pictures of your cage roller ? I for one would like to see it . Maybe in another thread . Us DIYers you know :)

crispyspa 12-09-2007 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: RS 38-40

Crispyspa is there any chance you could post a couple pictures of your cage roller ? I for one would like to see it . Maybe in another thread . Us DIYers you know :)
Done. new thread started.

did some more work, but I ran out of aluminum stock. I'll have to finish later.

L_J_Engineering 12-09-2007 06:18 PM

wheres the rudders

crispyspa 12-09-2007 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: L_J_Engineering

wheres the rudders
LOL It's not finished yet.

jasperrc 12-10-2007 01:41 PM

Looks great crispy!

crispyspa 12-29-2007 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
got a little more done, and another strength test. LOL Oh ya...L_J_ ...here's the rudders. :) EDIT: weight (without me on there) 24 Lbs.

TERBObob 12-30-2007 10:58 AM

VERY nice ...
( seems someone is VERY handy with working with aluminum )
Now , get those foot prints mopped up and get out there and get us some video ---- LOL
Not sure about water ... but that boat SURE does look like a perfect contender for the snow .[8D]

crispyspa 12-30-2007 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you for the complement Terbo.
As far as water running.....it'll probably be like all the others, trouble turning right. WHY? I dunno. Never figured that out.

It is DONE. Except for the maiden voyage. Got done late (like 1/2 hr ago) so I didn't get the chance to run it. Finished RTR weight is 27 Lbs 3 Oz. (including full tank of gas). Tomorrow I will try to get out and shoot the vid.

TERBObob 12-30-2007 08:48 PM

I see ONE thing that I would consider ...
Do I see correctly , are you using metal to metal on the connecting rods to the horns ? ( metal horns ? )
This might cause glitching .
Otherwise , I am just a b*tching because of how nice you made that there !

crispyspa 12-30-2007 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: TERBObob

I see ONE thing that I would consider ...
Do I see correctly , are you using metal to metal on the connecting rods to the horns ? ( metal horns ? )
This might cause glitching .
Otherwise , I am just a b*tching because of how nice you made that there !

You see correctly. 4-40 sullivan Gold-N-Clevises and hand made alum horns. With my old FM system, glitching used to be a problem, Which is why I now have the Spektrum DX 3.0 2.4 GHz system....no more glitch.

shaunmichaeljohnson 12-31-2007 06:14 AM

i too have metal to metal contacts n my boats but i do not get all that much gliching.
but i bought a spektrum DX2.0 anyway LOLOLOLOL:D
shaun

crispyspa 12-31-2007 04:15 PM

OK.....here it is.
Kamacopy at Photobucket

Kamacopy at RCU videos

enjoy.

jasperrc 12-31-2007 11:32 PM

Great vid Crispy!

Can't wait to see it on the fluid stuff.:D

wings 540 01-01-2008 12:27 AM

excellent crispy, now make a jump for it, and add some wings.........lol:D

crispyspa 01-01-2008 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: wings 540

excellent crispy, now make a jump for it, and add some wings.........lol:D
Have you seen the "Tigershark Jump" vid I made last year? Pertnear destroyed the boat. LOL

crispyspa 01-13-2008 01:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a short water vid in today before the throttle cable froze up on me..:D [link=http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/crispyspa/Kamikaze%20gasser/?action=view&current=MOV00566.flv]Kamacopy on the water.[/link] I also got some float pics. In the last pic, I closed in the transom with clear box tape, just to see how it would affect it.....

jasperrc 01-16-2008 01:31 PM

That tape sure changed how she sits in the water! Thanks for the vid.:D

Cable froze up huh? Gee, I wonder why?;)

dadkins 01-16-2008 03:58 PM

I agree the tape made a huge difference -The question I have is this. Does the prop hit the water without having the tape there - while it is standing still ? If not - why change it. If it does- that might be a problem.
Looks great - amazing difference on the low speed turns how it leans into it and turns like a v-hull and the higher speed turns where it is flat and bordering on high siding(catching and flipping).
Anyways, that is one sweet boat you have there. Good luck with it.

crispyspa 01-18-2008 03:03 AM

I agree the tape made a huge difference -The question I have is this. Does the prop hit the water without having the tape there - while it is standing still ? If not - why change it. If it does- that might be a problem.
Looks great - amazing difference on the low speed turns how it leans into it and turns like a v-hull and the higher speed turns where it is flat and bordering on high siding(catching and flipping).
Anyways, that is one sweet boat you have there. Good luck with it.
If the boat is moving.....no, but when coming down from speed, the wake does catch up and wash into the the boat and hit the prop. If I hold the boat still.......the water kills the engine.

....and, Thank you.

rickster3057 01-18-2008 07:46 AM

Hey crispyspa,
man your plastic gasser is one sweet running airboat,runs great on snow and the flat turns on the water are just awesome,
Just a question,you ever thought of making and selling the plastic hulls??can i have one LOL
The look of the hull is so cool the shape the design, you got some great design skills and building talent.
Rickster3057.

crispyspa 01-19-2008 02:42 AM

ORIGINAL: rickster3057

Hey crispyspa,
man your plastic gasser is one sweet running airboat,runs great on snow and the flat turns on the water are just awesome,
Just a question,you ever thought of making and selling the plastic hulls??can i have one LOL
The look of the hull is so cool the shape the design, you got some great design skills and building talent.
Rickster3057.

Thank you.
I've never really thought of making them to sell them....and really, the inspiration for this design came from Hooty 301 and his design for [link=http://rcairboats.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=75]Kamakazee[/link] . Really though, how much of a market can there be for a heavyweight plastic Airboat? LOL

D Bronk 01-19-2008 07:53 AM

I`ve been Admiring your Boat also..That Frozen Cable .Hmm... could you possibly,get rid of the cable all together, and mount your Throttle servo, right at the Carb.on a Bracket .Then all you would need, is a short music wire Linkage,no more Sheathed cable.;)..Just an idea....Your in Wisconsin ,Right ? A few Guy`s from that state, come up here a couple times a year to Race Ovals at the CPTC track (Canadian Power Toboggan Championship).That`s another 1 of my Addictions,I mean hobbies( Early Mods.):eek:

I sure hope to see a vid soon, where no one is Running away,with the Camera, from a Rabid ,Evil Airboat ..LOL :D

rickster3057 01-19-2008 09:54 AM

Hi crispyspa,
are you kidding,how many people can build a hull that big or in fact have the space,LOL, i could easily make the roll cage and mount the motor and rudders but wouldnt have the space for making the hull, and that design goes great on or off water,plus we cant get the materials in the UK.[&o]
next time you take it out or to an airboat meet ask how many people watching would like the hull.
Big gas airboats are just nuts and look so much fun,heheheheh.
Rickster3057.