RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Airboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/)
-   -   AquaCraft Alligator RTR (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/7628434-aquacraft-alligator-rtr.html)

asmithnc 07-14-2008 05:35 AM

RE: AquaCraft Alligator RTR

ORIGINAL: hpiguy

The engine doesn't sound very user friendly, which is odd for an aircraft engine, usually they run very easily.
Anytime you take an airplane Glow engine and remove the needed air cooling from the prop you will have issues. When I saw Aquacraft's Gator I was very suprised.... it's a pusher. I just want to know who will warranty this engine when poeple burn them up. You know some JOE out there will be running on the ground full throttle uphill going 2mph not thinking of the needed cooling. Then he burns it up on the first day. I really hope this is not a bad move on Aquacrafts part. Seems if they would have stuck with the Airforce and made it better it would be better for our hobby.

Russ Williamson 07-14-2008 07:56 AM

Thanks for the feedback; this is one reason we picked the G34, it is a tough engine. We run the airboat on grass a lot in anticipation for what you mentioned. The G34 will still have its 3-year warrenty:)
Thanks,
Russ

ORIGINAL: asmithnc

ORIGINAL: hpiguy

The engine doesn't sound very user friendly, which is odd for an aircraft engine, usually they run very easily.
Anytime you take an airplane Glow engine and remove the needed air cooling from the prop you will have issues. When I saw Aquacraft's Gator I was very suprised.... it's a pusher. I just want to know who will warranty this engine when poeple burn them up. You know some JOE out there will be running on the ground full throttle uphill going 2mph not thinking of the needed cooling. Then he burns it up on the first day. I really hope this is not a bad move on Aquacrafts part. Seems if they would have stuck with the Airforce and made it better it would be better for our hobby.

Selph-Inflicted 07-14-2008 02:46 PM

I also agree with the cooling issues on this boat. 6lb 5 oz. is a lot of weight for the 1 hp motor to be pushing around, especially on dry ground. With my flat bottom builds, I like to use a 3 - 5 lb per hp ratio, with a puller configuration. I have seen many motors toasted (by others) running pusher set ups. No matter how tough the motor is, when it gets warm, you loose performance and engine life. I have a feeling you may get quit a few warranty returns on these motors, especially with the inexperienced air boaters. If someone doesn't break the motor in properly and goes right out putting a lot of static load on the motor, something is going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I think its great for Aquacraft to come out with a scale airboat. At the price, its a great boat for someone getting into airboats. I just hope Aquacraft has done all the research and development on the cooling issue and that it doesn't become a persistant problem for the consumer or Aquacraft.

rcairboater 07-14-2008 04:11 PM

The solution would be to install a water cooled head. Take a look at the marine engines, it's the same situation. The real airboat's don't run on land only randomly. Sure would be nice to see a pusher config with a water cooled head.

Mr Cajun Gator 07-14-2008 06:54 PM

Russ it is a good looking boat, and from the vids it looks to run descent. I have been building the pushers for years now, most have been nitro's ranging from .46 up to the 2300 SuperTiger engines as to date I have not had one customer complaining about the engines. Just as any other nitro RC product, you act the fool run it hard and there will be troubles.
This is the same style hull that build and sell as a hobby business, been testing different setups for many years with countless hours of running time. I'm one of the very few that has experience with the nitro pusher setup, and I am here to say that for $270.00 this is a very good deal. Anyone looking to start into a rc airboat that looks like the real thing, this is the boat. The MABA has a class for this size boat, so all of you guys that are wanting to pass a good time racing and not looking to spend a lot of money this looks to me to be the way to go. I myself will buy one just so I can race with you guys in this class.
IMO anything that does not have a roll cage, air rudders and a pusher prop its just not a airboat, everything else is just air propelled.
Fireball makes a very good glow plug that last a long time in the SuperTiger engines.

Kfoss1 07-15-2008 08:06 AM

Thanks Russ for following this thread and keeping us up to date!;)

Kfoss1 08-04-2008 06:23 PM

Ut Oh! What happened Russ? I just saw the Alligator got pushed back another month.[:o]

asmithnc 08-05-2008 05:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Kfoss1

Ut Oh! What happened Russ? I just saw the Alligator got pushed back another month.[:o]

WOW, Looks like poor planning or the games in China took first place. By the looks of things the alligator name will not fit. The RTR Snow Bunny sounds more like it B/C it will be winter before people get it.

Grimracer 08-20-2008 04:09 PM

ASM,

What.. ?

I can not quite follow your message? RTR Snow Bunny? Dont get it?

Help we can, but a clear undersanding of your post is needed.

Thanks a bunch

Grim

bayward 08-20-2008 05:46 PM

While not trying to speak for asmithnc, I believe his statement was in reference to the weather. In other words the weather at the current estimated time of the AquaCraft Alligator release. As opposed to being released in warm weather more conducive to an Alligator.

What is the latest for a release date ? I had really hoped to have one in my hands before Labor Day. [&o]

Bob

Kmot 08-20-2008 06:38 PM

ORIGINAL: bayward

While not trying to speak for asmithnc, I believe his statement was in reference to the weather.
Bob
I don't think it could have been any more clear myself. [sm=49_49.gif]

Grimracer 08-20-2008 07:43 PM

aha.. OK..

If I figure right and truth is Russ is the dude when it comes to dates.. They are on the way to Hobbico via normal shipping processes. This means to me that we..you.. should be seeing your boats in less then one month.

Now...ASM... Im not sure about your area.. o wait let me check.. NC.. YOU GET SNOW?.... must be in the hills.. O wait.. air boat and snow.. humm.. could be FUN......
:D

Grim out

asmithnc 08-22-2008 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: bayward

While not trying to speak for asmithnc, I believe his statement was in reference to the weather. In other words the weather at the current estimated time of the AquaCraft Alligator release. As opposed to being released in warm weather more conducive to an Alligator.

Bob
You can speak for me anytime. Thats was perfect

asmithnc 08-22-2008 01:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Grimracer

Now...ASM... Im not sure about your area.. o wait let me check.. NC.. YOU GET SNOW?.... must be in the hills.. O wait.. air boat and snow.. humm.. could be FUN......
:D

Grim out
Ok GRM The area where I am from has nothing do with my Snow Bunny remark. Personally I hate when people or a company makes false statements. You get people excited and then WAIT..... WAIT..... Oh, NOW It's on the way. I hope you will not disappoint and your addition will be quailty product.

gatorgarfish 08-31-2008 12:34 AM

I wonder how loud this boat is (?) I like what I see, but if it is too noisey my other pondside neighbors may not like me too much. I don't want to terrify our ducks either ! :)

DJLaPalme 08-31-2008 05:57 PM

Gatorgarfish, it is using a two stroke nitro motor with a muffler. Believe me if you have normal neighbors, they are going to complain. And no the ducks won't like it either. If all you do is run at half throttle or less you might get away with it. You might try getting them interested too, then who's going to complain? Another alternative is going with a quieter weed eater air boat. Both Mudmasherairboats and Cajongatorairboats are real sharp and can be bought ready to run. With the right muffler they are no louder than your weedeater and they don't complain about that. Also, Aquacraft STILL hasn't released the Gator Tours airboat, and they haven't anounced a new release date. I wouldn't mind having one myself. Dennis

gatorgarfish 08-31-2008 07:32 PM

Hi DJLaPalme.

Thank you for that information. I have only electric boats and they don't bother my neighbors (of course). I live on a residential street that is right next to this pond [I'd be using for an airboat]; so are 15 others or so, though. I will definitely certainly check out those two boats and co.s you mentioned ! (And, no joke, I have compassion for our ducks and egrets 'and such' and would not want to traumatize them.)

Aquacraft hasn't released this boat yet ? I just got a little sales catalog from Tower Hobbies a few days back that indicates they are now selling them. It says not a thing about having to wait. Their price is $ 269.97.

It was good to meet you, BTW.

Vance

DJLaPalme 09-04-2008 11:42 AM

You could also make an electric airboat. Many people have for the same reasons. I will have to check Tower. Thanks for the info. Dennis

gatorgarfish 09-05-2008 07:17 AM

I think that the Dumas' "Little Swamp Buggy" (kit) has an electric motor as it's required kind. It is not as impressive - not anywhere near as cool-looking, and performing (naturally) as this Aquacraft airboat. I see that the Tower website is saying that this boat will become available later this month. I don't know what to think now !

This airboat really has an ideal place, IMO; so well poised among the available products that an 'airboat-interested' prospective buyer would notice. I bet they'll sell like hotcakes.

DJLaPalme 09-08-2008 04:12 PM

They are sharp looking and I would like to find out what it will do with an O.S. 46 on it. Or my YS 63 four stroke. Dennis

BlackwaterPirate 09-10-2008 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Russ Williamson

Sorry all, it will be late August when the Alligator Tours will be available. We had to source a new glow plug at the last minute, which was scheduled to arrive at the end of this month. Takes a good plug when pushing:)
The plug we had was only good for 2 - 3 minute run. New plug is a LR3 made by O.S., it is very good plug.

If any of you are near Evansville, IN from the 17th to 26th of this month, plan to have one there to run after a day of racing. Can't wait to try taking it around the buoys:)

Have fun!
Russ

ORIGINAL: Kfoss1

Geez, now they backed it up to late august. :eek:

Either way I'm sure I'll be buying one to add to my collection in the near future. Thanks for the heads up!

500 lb. koolaid man 09-18-2008 05:09 PM

It should be ~12 days or less unless the date gets changed. Can't wait to see it in action. And about the cooling issue, surely aquacraft will test their product many times before its release and will revise the design if necessary. They aren't going to release a crummy product. However, thinking back, the V24... Nevermind.:D I really do like aquacraft and love my supervee 27.

I wonder if the alligator will expand the popularity of rc airboating substantially. This will be the first RTR airboat from a major company(correct me if I'm wrong). I really can picture lots of rc enthusists buying one as their first airboat then deciding, "Hey, why don't I build one now! Wouldn't that be cool!"

Brandon4164 09-22-2008 07:12 PM

ooooooooh i am getting impatient when will this thing come out tower says late september but i thought we are there all ready plz any1 know when this is going to be out from towerhobbies i have cash wating for it

DJLaPalme 09-22-2008 09:18 PM

According to my LHS, September 26 is the release date. Hopefully that is right this time. Dennis

Kfoss1 09-23-2008 07:54 PM

Woo Hoo, tower shows they are here in limited quantities. Mine was back ordered so it should be on the way to my door. I`ll post up when it shows.:D