Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Proboat Radio Repair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Proboat Radio Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Toadsterze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proboat Radio Repair

Hello,

I have a Proboat 2-channel radio that has stopped working correctly. I opened the radio up and discovered that an electrical component that looks like a surface-mounted transistor has melted. The radio would turn on and was capable of controlling my RC for about 10-15 feet. The limit in range leads me to believe that this transistor acted as a signal amplifier.

The transistor that melted is easily replaced because there are three solder points on the circuit board that are meant to be used in replacing this transistor (it's almost as if the company knew this transistor would burn out eventually). Unfortunately, when the transistor melted it made any identification numbers unreadable. I am wondering if anyone on this forum has a Proboat 2-channel radio and is willing to open it to help me identify this component.

The component is located on the underside of the circuit board that connects to the antenna and is labeled Q52. I'm looking for any numbers printed on the component that might help me find a replacement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Proboat Radio Repair

I'm not sure how it works in Canada, but in the US, if an R/C set is modified or changed in any way by the owner, it is illegal to operate it. It's also illegal to put in a crystal for a different frequency than what was in a transmitter when it was purchased.
Something you might consider is replacing the radio with a better unit and save the hassle of trying to repair the bargain basement system used by Pro Boat
Old 09-17-2010, 10:33 PM
black talon
My Feedback: (5)

i know this is the wrong place to put this but i have a jrxr3i,3 channel fm radio with receiver i took out of my black jack 55,that i will sell you for$40.00 plus shipping($5.00). there are some scratches on the display but you can still read it fine.the transmitter has a brand new antenae.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Doc.316

CH
F5H

That is what it says...Just happened to have one opened up on the electronics workbench!

Steve

P.S. It took two magnifiers to see the lettering on that little thing!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Doc.316

Oh...the mine was a 27 mhz proboat radio...perfectly legal to mod since it is the "citizen channel"....Hydro is right for the 75mhz channels.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Doc.316

Oh, and if you need the RF section out of the one I have on the electronics workbench....you can have it...send me a PM. It is on
27mhz and worked fine (plenty of range) when it went to the "junkpile" because I couldn't easily find a replacement pot for it...
Steve
Old 09-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Toadsterze

Thanks for getting me those numbers. I am going to see if I can find the replacement component before I replace the PCB or buy a new radio.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:40 AM
rcguy1411

i would hate to see your boat get damaged due to loss of control replace the tx rx by far the best way to go if its a money thing they sell new on ebay for under $20.00 shipped or step up to the on that you were offered here it will be alot better than the stock radio and alot safer for you and any other boater i know i would be pi$$ed if i found out after my boat was hit that the guy knew he had a radio issue before he put it in the water
Old 09-21-2010, 05:35 AM
black talon

you can have mine for $20.00 + $8.00 shipping. thats the xr3i FM transmitter with the r135 FM receiver.3 channel,perfect working order.it has about 5 to 6 hours on it. like i said the crystal over the screen has a few of scratches in it but it's always been rock solid for me......just tryin to help. channel 73.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Doc.316

Man you can't go wrong at that price...to be honest the proboat radio is as some have said er...not very good. The only reason I fix radios is for fun and to learn....then put them in something slow (like an scale electric tug) to test them out. Right now there are a bunch of 75 mhz stuff out there cheap that is a lot better radio...

but if you want to mess with it the offer of the rf section is still on...it would be easier to solder in than that output transistor and if something else on the board has gone kaput and is fryin things the whole board would solve it...

but if the boat is a fast one I would go for a good used radio on 75mhz....besides if some kid has an air hog it is going to mess it up....

Steve
Old 09-21-2010, 10:08 PM
black talon

.................................mistake.......... ..............................
Old 09-21-2010, 10:18 PM
black talon

the jr xr3i has been sold quite a while as a standalone 3 channel unit as well as being supplied with proboat units. i also swapped out the std antenae with the upgraded larger and more powerfull all black antenae.(as was explained to me by JR support.) i also use corrosion x in my rx which has saved my bacon more than once.Mark