Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why not to swim after your boat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Why not to swim after your boat

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 01:14 PM
cheesewizz69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why not to swim after your boat

Just another reminder to be careful.

Nevada Man Drowns in Prosser Resevoir
Posted: Jun. 10, 2013 1:00 PM PDT
A Nevada man lost his life while operating small remote control boats in the Truckee area. Nevada County Sheriff’s Captain Jeff Pettit says 55 year old Greg Kish from Sun Valley, Nevada was at Prosser Reservoir on Saturday. Captain Pettit says the man was seen operating a small remote control boat near the shore line in the late morning. Another camper saw Kish’s truck with his personal property in the front seat later in the day and a pile of clothing laying on the shore. Captain Pettit says Search and Rescue teams along with the dive team responded.
Click here to listen to Captain Jeff Pettit

The mans boy was recovered a distance from the shore in nine feet of water. . It is currently unknown if the man was trying to retrieve the boat or was trying to cool off because of the heat. No foul play is suspected in the apparent drowning.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Please Use your best common sense, and be careful.

Originally Posted by sonicjet
It seems that the boat's engine died and one tried to go get it,drowned, then the other chased after,also drowned.
Father and Son.
My sorrows for the family...

http://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news...k-volz-jr.html
Originally Posted by Shannon85
To the people who do not know the full story.. This was my father and younger brother who passed. We grew up at the Jersey Shore our entire lives and practically lived on the beach. They were very good swimmers. The POND where they drowned was not that big. My father and brother have been going there for years. People fish and play with their RC boats there (not now because I got the township to put up no trespassing signs before another tragic death doesn't happen) One of them went into the pond and got stuck in the 5 feet of vegetation or the silt. The other went in to go save him and he went under also. My father and brother were not stupid, if they thought it was a dangerous situation they would not have gone in. The pond looks completely harmless, and most people who could swim would have done the same thing they did. And also in the middle of may when they drowned the water was not freezing. So before any of you go and say they should have been more careful or had a "boat" you need to know the full story. And thanks to all who sent their condolences. My family is still trying to ment.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:22 PM
wesleyrose

i heard somthing about boat retrieval. if u have another boat with you tie a piece of fishing line about 8 ft long to your boat.on the other end a tennis ball.circle the broke down boat and allow the fishing line to get around your prop and pull it in. just a thought
Old 03-01-2014, 05:03 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

This in southern Australia:Police will prepare a report for the coroner after a man tragically drowed in the River Torrens this afternoon. At about 2.20pm, police were called to the Torrens - near the weir in the CBD, after witnesses reported seeing a man swim in the river to retrieve a remote control boat. The 51-year old man from Netley went under and never resurfaced. Police Water Operations assisted with the search and found the body just before 4.30pm.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sad story indeed Ron

"NICK Kastrappi’s passion for remote-controlled boating and unfamiliarity with the dangers of the River Torrens have cost him his life.His family have paid tribute to Mr Kastrappi, who drowned while righting his beloved remote-controlled boat in the River Torrens, west of the Morphett St bridge, about 2.20pm on Saturday.
Police water operations divers recovered the body of Mr Kastrappi, 51, of Netley, near the weir about 4.30pm.
Mr Kastrappi’s younger brother, Chris Kastrappi, said they had lost a loving family man who had a 30-year passion for remote-controlled boats and cars.
“(Nick) was easy-go-lucky with a good sense of humour,” he told The Advertiser yesterday.

“He was often the life of the party. He was never married and didn’t have children. He just enjoyed the simple life with friends and family.”
Despite some witness reports that Mr Kastrappi could not swim, Mr Kastrappi said his brother was capable in the water.
He said he may have been undone by his unfamiliarity with the River Torrens.

“Nick was a remote-controlled car and boat enthusiast who had been racing cars and boats for 30 years,” Chris Kastrappi said.

“He loved going out and driving his remote-controlled boats all over Adelaide. He would often swim out and retrieve his boats and make it safely back.
“He recently started going to the River Torrens and was unaware of the dangers that it holds. It was a tragic accident that took his life.”

“He will be sadly missed by friends and family.”
Witnesses reported that Mr Kastrappi successfully swam out to the boat and turned it up the right way before disappearing under the surface on his way back to the river bank.
Some bystanders had yelled at Mr Kastrappi, urging him not to go into the water.
A report is being prepared for the Coroner.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/family-of-nick-kastrappi-says-river-torrens-drowning-victim-was-life-of-the-party/story-fni6uo1m-1226843118537
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	116915-91032a56-a1c8-11e3-8dfc-d9063670fb71.jpg
Views:	1601
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1975085  
Old 04-12-2014, 03:33 PM
kwikwitzKC

GREAT i NEED A 2ND BOAT ?!?!?!?
Old 10-19-2014, 11:05 AM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Craig Dicko

A BIG danger is if you attempt to swim out for your boat in cold water like 3C or below.

Even if with a buoyancy aid or life jacket, after about less than 3 to five minutes you will be in deep trouble as the cold quickly gets you. At that point your legs pack up and you cannot swim further and only the life jacket if decent keeps your head above water to prevent drowning. And after that you still need a rescue facility to get you back to dry land without having others to jump in putting their own lives at risk.

NEVER attempt to swim out to rescue your boat in these circumstances.

I personally witnessed that only once in cold water. Never again will I want to see a repetition of that.

I now will only run boats or visit venues that have proper rescue facilities available.

Not only should that include a stable rescue boat, it should include rules of wearing life jackets and a contingency plan should the rescue boat get into trouble.

I suggest that this is less of an issue in warm waters. However if you are running boats in very cold conditions, it is the cold water that potentially can be fatal.

Cheers

Craig

Being a snorkeler who dove many times in cold Lake Michigan (one of the Great Lakes) I had a severe cramp happen once or twice in one leg. The leg was completely paralyzed and in pain. Luckily I still have the other limps to propel me back to shore. The most important thing to do in a situation like that is not to panic. Had all four limps paralyzed I would have been in trouble.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:04 AM
Ron Olson

Unfortunately, another story:
http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local...rora/71212416/
Old 06-16-2015, 12:08 PM
fourtogo

I had cramps happen to me at Lake Washington Wa. Summer my brother in law swims daily in the Summer. I jump in and with in a few min's dubble leg cramps start in . I was only 25-30Ft from shore and it was a all arm swim just too crawl in the shore, I couldn't even climb the dock ladder, at that time I was doing a lot of surfing in Socal . I doesn't matter how good a swimmer you are. When things start going wrong the go wrong in a hurry. Boat hooks for your boat / fishing pole / row boat > not blow up one < Recovery boat . Deing over a Hobby Boat no matter how much money you put in it is not worth it . I have been a life long Drag Racer, Darrel Gywinn was just going make one easy check out pass after he sold his fueler . He wasn't wearing neck Donut or Arm Straps. Car broke up and was hurt very bad . Ended up paralyzed with only one arm in a Wheel Chair . Safety first please.

Last edited by fourtogo; 06-16-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Ron Olson

I had to do some bunk repair on my bass boat trailer. I took it to the river and moored the boat then pulled out the trailer to work on it. I found out 2 things rather quickly; hypothermia can set in within seconds and although river water may not appear to be moving it is and faster than you'd think.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:28 PM
Justaddwata

Another boater lost earlier this year - a heavy toll already!!

TAMPA — A 47-year-old man died Wednesday night after trying to recover his remote control boat from an apartment complex pond, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office said.
Van Murray waded into the 2821 Lakeside Commons Drive pond a little after 8 p.m., public information officer Debbie Carter said. As he continued toward his remote control boat, he slipped below the water and never resurfaced.
A stranger who saw Murray disappear underwater called the sheriff's office, and soon after Carter said the dive team was dispatched.
"One of our dive team members was near there," she said. "He was recovered pretty quickly."
Carter was unsure what caused the man to slip. The complex he died at — University Lake Apartments — is a student living complex. It lies just northwest of the University of South Florida campus. Carter did not know why Murray, who lives about three miles east of the pond at 5615 E 127th Ave, was at the complex.
She was also unsure how deep the pond was. The complex office was closed Wednesday night.
"His family responded to the scene," she said.

Retrieving remote control boat, Tampa man dies in student living complex pond 04/22/15 [Last modified: Thursday, April 23, 2015 3:24pm]
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...omplex/2226685
Old 05-16-2016, 06:14 AM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why not stop taking showers as well more people die there then swimming after there boats. what is wrong with simply LIVING life.what a sissy world we live in. everyone wants to blame others and take no responsibility for there own choices.Do not get me wrong I am not saying swim after your boats, i am saying do not blow this out of proportion and make peoples bad choices part of model boating some times its just your day to go...period. the drive to the lake is dangerous as well. I hope we never blame getting killed on the way to the lake on boating either.

Last edited by expresscraft; 05-16-2016 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:06 PM
Justaddwata

Thing is Tom - we need to shower. We need to drive. We do not need to swim for a boat. Statistically there are not many people swimming for their boat and there are 3-4 dying each year. In one case - a father and son. Not trying to blow out of proportion - just raise awareness.

If modelers go to the lake with a means of recovering their boat they can make a choice when their boat stops. If they do not they are too often forced to swim distances they would otherwise not swim in water they otherwise would not enter.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:33 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long ago when I raced 7.5 outboard tunnels around the San Francisco Bay area and sometimes practiced alone, I built a electric retrieval boat.
I used the same boat for retrieving float planes too, smart huh?
Old 05-16-2016, 10:39 PM
Justaddwata

Originally Posted by Carlos Murphy
Long ago when I raced 7.5 outboard tunnels around the San Francisco Bay area and sometimes practiced alone, I built a electric retrieval boat.
I used the same boat for retrieving float planes too, smart huh?
If it works for you then it is great! Depending on where you run boats get tangled in weeds and the best means of retrieving is being there in person - Some use kayaks. I use a zodiac inflatable. There is no 1 best method. Just the one that keeps you from swimming!
Old 05-18-2016, 04:47 AM
expresscraft

There are about 1000 people in IMPBA. but they and there rules represent most of the forums and the lakes. way back when there was the magazine r/c boating they sold 45,000 issues by monthly. there are a lot of people that swim after there model boats.I am not saying I promote that but at the same time there are docks in hundreds of thousands people back yards as well and even kids swim off of them. And of course some people drowned. If you are not in shape or can not swim well make the right choice. but no matter what tying model boating into someone drowning is just not right. It does not help our hobby. Drowning while swimming after your model boat was just your bad choice.that is my point.
When I was younger and in the marines we were a raid company and attacked in Zodiaks and center counsel Boston whalers, needless to say we swam a lot. after I got out and started my hobby shop. then got into boating a year or so later. I jumped in to retrieve a boat and 40' out and the time away from excersizing everyday being replaced with long hours in a retail shop and eating fast food. kicked my butt on my short swim and I was glad it was a 70" Apache and floated good enough to hang on to while I got my fat but back to shore. after that I made it my job to swim after everyone's boat at our retention pond lake just to get back in shape. We are in Florida so cold water is not a issue.Again use your brain if you are in a area with cold water then make the right choice for yourself. I swam for up to a mile in the ocean some times depending were we were at. so it does not take long to get out of shape. After my near miss wake up call I could have ran to the other side of our retention pond to be closer but I always chose to just jump in from were we where driving from and swim across. It does not hurt to understand the difference between being a self proclaimed good swimmer and one that has been trained.Even leg cramps do not keep you from simply leaning back and slowly moving your arms to keep you afloat. again know your own abilities and make the right choices in life.

Last edited by expresscraft; 05-18-2016 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:05 PM
Justaddwata

Thing is people too often make decisions driven by a snap decision. Boat flips in the middle of the pond - a distance and not one that they truly consider. As they swim the boat catches some breeze and naturally increases the distance. People too often look at the possible loss of the model boat - a beloved toy with time, effort and money tied up - and not at the risk. Think you will find most of the recommendations are that people should plan ahead on the boat stalling or flipping. They should have a means to recover the boat that does not include them getting wet. The addition of flotation in the model is also a wise measure. Great that you got into shape swimming for boats on the lake in Florida. But it is dangerous.

Point was driven home a little deeper to me as I sat with my son in the ER 3 weeks ago and listened to a guy getting wheeled in with EMTs on his gurney fighting for his life. The fight continued for 15 more minutes 2 feet away from me on the other side of a curtain. Was heart breaking hearing the announcement of time of death of this 30 year old who had been described as "a strong swimmer". No - he was not using an RC - but was swimming in a lake near my house.

Yeah there are a million ways to die - but lets not make swimming for an RC boat be one of them!!

http://www.thewesterlysun.com/news/p...ings-lake.html
Old 09-17-2016, 11:40 PM
Paulekins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as part of my kit when i take my air boat out is a ball of string with a fishing weight on the end for recovering the boat
cheap and simple unwind the string and sling the weight out over and past the boat and slowly pull it in
works every time
Old 09-18-2016, 05:01 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a electric boat to retrieve my float planes when they are out of range of my cut down fishing pole with a spin-cast reel and tennis ball.
Swam after my race boat (oth) once but pushed a flotation device ahead of me.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:49 PM
mazpr

This is easy, ban rc boats, its killing too many people...

Life vest at least, its simply common sense and if the person is not in shape, much worst.
Many department stores sells boogie boards, slap some swim fins and goggles and all set. Thats what I use, but I do stay active, run, cycle, visit the weight room frequently.

Cold water is another beast, hypothermia, cardiac arrest, it gets ugly real quick.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:03 AM
Justaddwata

Originally Posted by mazpr
This is easy, ban rc boats, its killing too many people...
It is more about educating people. The means of keeping people from drowning are inexpensive and simple - but they are unfortunately too frequently unavailable. A momentary lapse of judgement is too often a life and death decision.

October 21st 2016 - man who could not swim drowns trying to recover RC boat when he wound up in a deep section of the pond. It is too tragic for words - seriously.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/ma...t-mammoth-lake

LAKE JACKSON, Texas - A man who was trying to retrieve a remote-controlled boat drowned Friday evening at Mammoth Lake in Lake Jackson.The drowning happened about 6:20 p.m.

According to authorities, the man, who did not know how to swim, got into the lake to retrieve the toy boat and stepped into a deep part of the lake. The man’s friend tried to save him, but was unsuccessful and called for help.
Police who arrived on the scene also tried to save the man, but weren't able to reach him.
The victim’s body was found in about 30 feet of water about an hour later.
The identity of the victim was not immediately released.

2016 Click2Houston/KPRC2

Last edited by Justaddwata; 01-03-2017 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:45 AM
mazpr

I know... I was trying to be like those people that anything is a immediate ban. Following the line of thinking like people do with guns etc.

You are correct, its about educating people, and some common sense.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:53 AM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Another fatality from an attempt to swim for a toy boat.....

For $100, he?d swim out and get the remote-control boats. Cold water sent him into shock | KIRO-TV

Old 11-11-2017, 07:03 AM
Ron Olson

Originally Posted by Got RPM
For $50.00 he could have had a 2-man inflatable boat, oars and inflator from Wal-mart. It takes maybe 5 minutes to blow up. Any RC boater with a brain knows that they should have a way to retrieve a dead boat.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:59 AM
expresscraft

Does not need to be a RC boater, Anyone with a brain should know if they can swim or not, cold water or not. Plenty of people swim in cold water every day with no problems, I hate the part were they make model boating any part of PEOPLES stupidity. He might even have been a great swimmer. But we all have a expiration date. Maybe it was just his day to go. nobody dies in auto mobile crashes if they stay out of cars and away from the streets. People swimming for any reason, including getting there toy boat. is no big deal if you can swim and are in shape to swim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.