Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Some crazy lade tried to get on my case for running at the local pond today

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Some crazy lade tried to get on my case for running at the local pond today

Old 12-05-2010, 10:36 AM
KENDOG689

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Some crazy lade tried to get on my case for running at the local pond today

Already promissed Saturday to the wife(birthday).but Sunday works.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:44 PM
res3567

Default RE: Some crazy lade tried to get on my case for running at the local pond today

LOL!!! I agree with that one.......
ORIGINAL: asupervee72

i have footage of a duck chasing me, footage of my doing circles around ducks, fly by's right next to ducks, i don't bother them and they don't bother me, if they feel like i'm too close they just swim or fly down a little bit and everything is good. I'm sure they would rather have my rc boat in the water for a little bit then to get swallowed up by a gator or something like that
Old 12-05-2010, 01:10 PM
jeeper91
My Feedback: (4)

Rulegators - people who couldn't make a difference in life so they do it by making up some rule that only benefits their enjoyment of ruining someones day. This problem get's worse with age. i.e. curmudgeon. Usually comes to surface at the beginning of second childhood, followed by an onslaught of hate towards anyone younger than themselves.

I vow never to be that way!

Don't knock it cause you can't do it, I will teach you how!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:32 AM
jbel

how do you think nitro will go over ???? or should i stay away?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: jbel

how do you think nitro will go over ???? or should i stay away?
Like a lead balloon.
Most nitro boats that might be legal in competition could very well be over the dB limit in a lot of places.
Example; our neighboring city, Portage, has a db limit in industrial areas of only 88dB and in residential areas of 77dB. Now, do you realize how quiet 77dB is? According to that law they can't run any gas powered lawnmowers and heaven forbid, a leaf blower or weed-eater! A car driving down the street could exceed that!
Check your local ordinances before being tempted to make someone nearby unhappy and to keep John Law off your case.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:56 PM
losifiend

I used to run my OS 18 powered Black Jack 26 at that park and some people didn't like it and others didn't care. I ran it once while they mowed the grounds and it made no more noise than a commercial leaf blower. But like Ron said, check with local codes first.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Ron Olson

OK, here's the trick for the nitro and gas burners watching this thread. I picked this up after some kid in town got popped for loud noise after the cops heard his sub-woofers thumpin' in the early morning hours. First he tried the race card in court saying that the cops busted his grandfather years ago so they were also after him. Yeah, like the cops knew that he was related.
Ask the officer if he knows what the dB limit is and exactly what his reading was on his dB meter. Gee, he doesn't have one and only used his ears to determine that you were too loud? That won't hold up in court. OK, let's say that he has a dB meter. Ask when it was last tested for accuracy. These aren't cheap to get calibrated so more than likely it could be way off. I'm not saying that it is or could be off but that's not the point when you're ticketed, it's the technicality. Tell him go to chase a Harley.
Put it this way. I called the cops on a carpet cleaning truck that was doing a house across the street as I was getting a 104 db (!) reading with my Radio Shack digital dB meter. The cops could hear how loud it was from my phone in my house. Boy, was the neighbor pissed when they showed up and shut down the truck!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:47 PM
KENDOG689

Ron you are a funny guy.I am new to the site,but glad to hear your o.k..Respect is all people ask for and to know that is a good thing.I looked at the pond and the area and too many houses around for nitro.Here is the problem.....One crazy old bag can with nothing else to do,well you know.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:27 AM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't think nitro would be good there. then they would have a couple legitimate complaints, noise and pollution, there are ducks and turtles in the water. The way i see it it's one old bag that could ruin the whole thing or there is a small group of people that fight for a right so simple as the pursuit of happiness and fe boating will not be banned at the pond. As far as I'm concerned i pay for those ducks to be there so i should get a say in whether or not it's a big deal if they sit up on the shore for a lil bit.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Ron Olson

I love the pollution one but you're in P.C. Kaluh4nyuh with your CARB laws and such. It's not like we're dumping like the Exxon Valdez (sp.) but releasing castor oil which is a natural product and very little of that. Idiots with lawn fertilizers are washing more pollutants into the water producing more damage than we ever could. Waterfowl are relieving themselves and spreading salmonella.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:58 AM
losifiend

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

I love the pollution one but you're in P.C. Kaluh4nyuh with your CARB laws and such. It's not like we're dumping like the Exxon Valdez (sp.) but releasing castor oil which is a natural product and very little of that. Idiots with lawn fertilizers are washing more pollutants into the water producing more damage than we ever could. Waterfowl are relieving themselves and spreading salmonella.
So true!! The pond is below all geographic levels of the park so when they fertilize the grass, which I know for a fact they do at least 3 times a year, and the sprinklers come of where do you think the run off goes? Also, Ron I brought up the salmonella thing a few posts back. My wife hates going to that park with me because the grass is full of bird feces, no matter where you step. That's no where for kids to play! I'm ready to take on the city council with that argument!!![8D]
Old 12-08-2010, 06:57 PM
KENDOG689

Are we good for Sunday?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:07 PM
exotica

...ide say get a whole group of boaters together and spend the whole day there having fun. Recently we had a similar incident at our local test pond. A neighbour complained to police on several occassions and we received a letter in the mail. I then called the relevant water board and the council and they both said that as long as there are no signs up and we are not hurting wildlife or fauna we are free to do what we wanted and that we are not dumping oil or fuel in the pond.

The following week, we were testing our boats again only to be approached by the local police. "Afternoon officers, I said", the reply from the officer was, "you cant run your boats here as its against the council by-laws", which I then replied, "are you shure about that? as im certain your source of information is not correct", (obviously in reference to the old bag neighbour who has been calling them) he then replied, "well what do you mean?" which I then went on to explain the responses i had from the water board and local council when I enquired about if it was okay to run our boats on that particular local pond. The officer took down my details which i was more than happy to give him and they went on their way and we continued boating. LOL

I bet the neighbour who was complaining and im sure could see us from across the pond must not have been very impressed seeing the police arrive and leave and then having to put up with us for the rest of the afternoon running our boats around the pond at WOT!! LOL, was a great day. We will be back there again this weekend. 2 months on an havent heard anything from the police, or the water board nor the council. Happy Boating I say!!!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Ron Olson

I'm one of the few lucky ones I guess. A buddy and I put out fliers at the LHS's and I got a call one day from the county Parks and Recreation Department (OK, some of you have seen this story before) inquiring about what we were up to and what out plans were. I was kind of reluctant to answer until I found out what they were up to. A park about 1-1/4 miles of me was going downhill so thye were either going to sell off hte property in parcels or invest just under a million dollars into it to whip it back into shape. The place started to get over-run with undesirable types, hookers, drug dealers and such so they really wanted to turn it back into a family park again. They already had a skating rink area where a LHS started to hold races on during the summer but wanted more and racing RC boats looked good to them. They were looking at how many people we could draw in as they figured that for every person that showed up for a race would generate $100.00 each to the businesses.
We also hold the NSRA Street Rod Nationals North every September but that's a bigger deal with about 3,300 rods showing up that brings in somewhere between 11 and $14,000,000.00 estimated in 4 days.
OK, now back to it. This is a city that seems to like RC as we have one county park with an RC plane field and another that had a reserved part of the park for scale ship modelers. This was at a time when other clubs were losing their sites because of noise complaints or other reasons yet we had them approach us in a positive way!
I did host 6 Fun Runs there but the site needed a lot of work as after late June the lake weeded up badly. I still covered my rear with the blessing of the P&R Dept. plus got a DNR regatta permit so the local yokels can't hassle us.
We now have a club with a lake that we've leased from a gravel company and got an IMPBA sanctioning for the site so we're insured. We have full rights for the lake including getting any tresspassers removed legally if we have to. No decibel limits in the area but we still adhere to the 92 dB rule as we are only using it for a practice site. Hopefully we can hold an event there in the future as we're neighbors to a building which has RC car and truck racing with a concession stand, real restrooms plus power. No little old ladies to hassle us!
Old 12-09-2010, 07:16 PM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes we are good for sunday, ill send you a pm with my number. what time were you thinking? I'll be available all day
Old 12-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Big Block Glock

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

tell her that the goose is cooked.... BS like that keeps me from running at local ponds... just go and whatch your tv where there is not so much violance lol lol I'd hate to tell her how many casulties flew thru my prop back in the dat .... hey whgat do you wand a little duck, or a coote on the header extra brown
Old 12-26-2010, 05:53 PM
C1Driver

What pond were you at? I'm in Huntington Beach.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:47 PM
thomasjohn

Tie a rock to her leg and trow her in the lake LOL , just kidding,