Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

using heli (dx7) tx and reciever on my boat project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

using heli (dx7) tx and reciever on my boat project

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 AM
maxxnitro88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using heli (dx7) tx and reciever on my boat project

just wondering if it would be safe to use the extra reciever i have laying around for my new boat project that i am working on. im wondering if those recievers are desigend to recieve signals from the tx while above in the air, as opposed to when they are on the ground, and if range would be significantly decreased if using it while on the ground?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:45 PM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: using heli (dx7) tx and reciever on my boat project

i don't think you would have any problems with it. but i do know, your not supposed to use air stuff for ground use and vice versa
Old 05-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Nothinbetr2do is correct, unless you are using a surface or multiuse radio system,you are taking the chance of destroying someone's aircraft. It's also illegal per FCC regulations, though the chance of getting caught is relatively small.
Now, getting to the range question, ALL RADIOS HAVE LESS RANGE ON THE SURFACE THAN IN THE AIR. This is due to ground clutter and, in the case of boats, reflection. With the relatively low power we use for R/C's, anything getting between the transmitter and receiver weakens the signal. This was especially true with the pre-1991 radios. In the instructuctions I received with my pre-91 radios, they listed the range in the air at up to .5 miles while the ground range was half of that. With the newer FM, PCM and 2.4 systems, the effect may not be as pronounced, but it is there. The new 2.4 systems have the additional problem of signal reflection off the water's surface. This is something the manufacturers are trying to remedy with every upgrade to the system they release for sale
Old 05-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Dan S

The DX7 is a 2.4Ghz (I have one) and I don't remember it ever being an FM radio before that (I could be wrong, it does happen).

the air and land 2.4 share the same spread spectrum, no special allocation yet (USA and Canada).
So you are not violating any FCC rules.
yes it will work in your boat, be aware that spektrum has been known to have for some reasons, problems on water, that is why they came out with a marine receiver.

Dan.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Use the marine receiver, not the one for planes or cars. I've seen enough of the first Spektrum's glitching on the water, some losing signal in less than 100 feet. I drove my buddies boat Sunday with the marine RX and it had zero issues and he took his boat a long way out into the lake.