Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Identification in your boat.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Identification in your boat.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Apismelifera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identification in your boat.

I have read in several places about people who for one reason or another have lost their boat. [:@] In that it went out of sight across the pond, went down river, and so on.

Just wondering if anyone puts any identification inside. Name, phone number, address, email or what?

What if anything like that do you put inside?
Old 04-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Identification in your boat.

Be a good idea even thou you may have some dishonest people out there. Like kids. Look dad what i fount.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:59 PM
hugho

The AMA requires all model planes have the owner's name, address, and means of communication, etc., on the model. I'm surprized that NAMBA dosen't require the same for model boats. Or dose it??????????
Old 04-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Deathwish

I would think there be a difference between a plane and a boat. A plane could lose control and fly into someone's home and cause a fire, or a car, or hurt a person. A boat another hand can't do that much damage.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:56 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Namba requires your membership number to be on your boat - Guess that is one means to track down an owner.

Personally I dont put my name in them. Chances of me losing a boat are about as remote as the chances of someone returning one to me.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:34 AM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Deathwish
A boat another hand can't do that much damage.
PM me you emailaddress .. and I'll send you pictures .. so that you can see that you're soooooooo wrong.

Uhhhhhhhhhhmmmm .. you'll need a very strong stomach ;-)
Remember I'm a retired ER-technician ......... :-)
Old 04-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't want to see those pix again!
You can place a label in your boats as surpisingly there have been a lot of boats stolen out of homes and trailers, much less at the lake. On my radios, it's supposed to be required for racing, a good thing if you happen to leave it in a radio impound and forget to grab it before heading home. I've been using address labels on those that come with my checks. The same things could be epoxied into a hull, in an inconspicuous place like under pool noodles in case of theft. Dymo labels would be another thing to use.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Apismelifera

So it sounds like I could put more than one "Name Address Label" inside. One in plain sight for the honest people, and one or more hidden from casual view for me should I happen to get Lucky.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

What's surprising is the number of manufacturers who have been ripped off at races or at their place of business. Some have had their complete trailers stolen as it may have been just someone needing a trailer or someone who knew what was inside. There was one story about a kid that hit a race trying to sell a very nice RC boat cheap yet didn't know anything about it. One smart person did photograph the kid with the boat as he and some others felt that it was hot. It sure doesn't hurt to take detailed pictures of all of your boats either just in case. That way you have some to show police, your insurance company and pawn shops or even post on sites such as this.
If a boat goes down then usually it's because not enough floatation was placed in it or put in improperly. I haven't lost one yet but have had a few really close calls.
If you sell the boat and your info is still in here and something happens with the new owner then they can still contact you to find out who the current owner is.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:14 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Interestingly I engrave all my props (about 200) in case they go missing but figure boats are more easily identified by hull/hardware combination. Having a label in an obscure location is not a bad idea - one in the hatch would not hurt either (they are always coming off). I will probably print up a few and resin them in place - if nothing else - it is good proof for the police for recovery. I look more at my insurance company and what they need (photos) and appraisal (no idea who can do that for me).

One thing about the average thief - they are really dumb. If they stole three boats they would carry all three to the local pond and try to sell them for short change - probably to the guys I run with.

Slightly off topic but on a related note - I think it not a bad idea to have a thread stickied to the top of the general boat forum titled "Stolen and lost" where stolen or lost items can be listed. Will show up in google searches that way too for future reference.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Deathwish

seen this while floating around on the internet. Some of said that trailer's are being stolen. maybe we need to invest in one of these. And no i don't sell them. lol http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Trimaxlocks