Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Choosing a new boat

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Choosing a new boat

Old 09-28-2011, 11:24 AM
cbraden0356

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing a new boat

Need help choosing a new boat! i am new to boating. I want something that will work be reliable and be stabile in the water! i have a budget of about 1000 id like to stay under that but like i said i want something of good quality!any advice will help! i know nothing about boats!brushless or gas is prefered!
Old 09-28-2011, 12:19 PM
TCHedOff

Default RE: Choosing a new boat

I'm no expert by any means, but I DO have an opinion (or 3). I'd suggest you consider either a mono or cat style hull (in that order) for 1) stability and 2) all around water condiations. Stability is also related to the size of the hull- bigger is better, so look at hulls at least 3ft long.... and there are quite a few choices in the 4ft range.

Brushless vs gas (I own neither), but gas has longer run times and is the way I'd go for a hull the size were are talking. Electric power for a boat that size can get very expensive if you looking for any kind of speed.

With the budget you have you should be able to get most everything you need, and have something that runs 40-50's pretty easily.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:40 PM
cbraden0356

Thank you! im looking at the Exceed Racing FiberGlass V24 GHB 26CC Gas Powered. its 51 inches long. im worried that i have never hear of this company or how well it hold up with maintaince
Old 09-28-2011, 01:41 PM
rcguy1411

imo if its your first boat i would go here [link]http://www.whobbies.com/[/link]dont think i have ever heard any thing bad about the company when it comes to a FIRST boat there is a great thread in the gas section[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9313299/tm.htm[/link]post a linkto the boat you are thinking about and we will steer you in the good direction hope this is a help
Old 09-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I've never heard of that company either. If I was in your place, I would go with an Enforcer from WHH. It's a well known brand that is also well made and a good performer. You can also order your boat in several colors(if you don't paint), at any level of completion and with the equipment you prefer, within reason. Granted, you will use up your whole budget but for a boat that will run well right out of the box, it's the way I would go.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:53 PM
rcguy1411

if this is the boat you are thinking of i would stay clear [link]http://www.nitrorcx.com/99b-12015-1300-gs260-artr.html[/link]
Old 09-28-2011, 08:53 PM
cbraden0356

Thank yall for the response.  I have decided I want a gas 2 stroke boat.  I been looking at Exceed Racing FiberGlass MAXIMUM 1300GS260 Gas Powered Speed Boat KIT. I know you said to stay away from there boats but what about just the kit that includes the hull and put my own engine and electronics. But that brings up more questions about will all engines fit in most boat shells?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:50 PM
cbraden0356

been looking at the website and likeing the team pro boat kit! looks like a good boat but dont know the size it doesnt say
Old 09-29-2011, 12:53 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I wouldn't waste my money on that Maximum. It's a slightly modified Pro Boat hull with slightly different hardware. You would be better off building a wood hull instead. This is another case of the manufacturer, most likely in China, throwing a bunch of "bling" at you so you don't look any harder at what is probably wrong with it. I could see just from the picture that it's very tail heavy. That means lots of adjusting and adding balancing weight to get it to run halfway decent. If you still feel you just have to have it, it's your money to waste
Old 09-29-2011, 06:02 AM
rcguy1411

there hulls are to laid up to light and WILL split at the seam if you get it in one that arrives in one piece i have one of there engines in the shop collecting dust it came from there Apache hull the hull had to be reinforced and never ran worth a dam Once again it s your money to spend
Old 09-29-2011, 07:34 AM
cbraden0356

thank yall for the advice! i will stay away from that company..  i found this boat that i like Formula 1/8 Hydro BND by Pro Boat. i really like the hydros. i live on a river and gets kinda choppy sometimes with wind and i dont want it to crash when a ski boat comes by. i know i cant jump it but at least ride it out!  also been looking at the enforcer boats.. there is just so many options!
Old 09-30-2011, 05:51 PM
wilsonreef

Aeromarine also has a good reputation and a good line of boats. You can find them at www.aeromarinerc.com  There is really a lot of good places just cruise this site and listen to these guys.  I think you will find the knowledge base here to your liking.

Carl
Old 10-01-2011, 06:45 AM
PRO PAINTER

I'm a big fan of Bonzisports.com personally< and the fact that they can build you a custom 50 inch 2 stroke boat for right around the price you're looking to spend. They offer MANY options as well, and provide the best RTR packages I've seen. PLUS, when the time comes that you're ready to move up to something bigger and better, they will sell your boat for you on their "Marina" page so you can get that boat seen by millions of Bonzi faithful customers, and get it sold fast!! Of course I'm a bit partial since I do all of their custom paint and airbrushing work. But keep in mind I was a "customer" first, and they build an AWESOME boat for the money, and they look absolutely amazing, backed by the best customer service in the business.
Good Luck with your choice
Old 10-01-2011, 01:22 PM
rcguy1411

this is jmo but i find Bonzi prices a little on the high side there are just as good if not better products out there for less $$$ and im not talking the cheap china crap eather or the rtr stuff but the hulls i have seen are of verry good quality
Old 10-01-2011, 01:39 PM
buzrow4

Yo little dude put 800 in the bank give 100 to your mom and buy a Aqua Craft minimambo to start.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:18 PM
PRO PAINTER

The "Bonzi" hulls are of good quality you said? Ever purchased one of their boats?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:59 AM
rcguy1411

have had 2 of there hulls in the past have also seen a few more have used there parts engine mounts and there strut so i feel that i could give MO and as i stated its JMO
Old 10-02-2011, 12:00 PM
cbraden0356

I ended up buying the Ul-1 superior and the miss vegas duece from aquacraft for now!  im gonig to get a custom boat built with 2 motors i think! this should get me going for now!    buzrow4  what your mean by lildude and giving mommy 100 bucks??? 
Old 10-02-2011, 08:01 PM
PRO PAINTER

No, what i didn't understand was you're statement. Did you mean that you "like" the quality of the Bonzi hulls??
Old 10-03-2011, 04:24 AM
rcguy1411

the quality was good i had no isue with the hulls i had was more about a price point on some of there products and we will leave it a that as to not hijack this thread
Old 10-03-2011, 06:08 AM
PRO PAINTER

I agree
Old 10-03-2011, 01:54 PM
buzrow4

Post some pic,s of your new boat!
Old 10-03-2011, 01:57 PM
buzrow4

PS Slap my GRANDMA.....
Old 10-03-2011, 03:11 PM
ken webb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try warehouse hobbies.com. Should have something in your price range. All types and prices.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:41 AM
jordan gutteridge

hello well as far as build quality goes you cant beat actually building it yourself if you have a good hand and the knowledge of how to put them together if you want to go down that route i would reccomend promise hobbies in hong kong you can easily access this ebay site through google.the shop owner is frank and he is very helpfull and gives very good discount on parts and shipping be carefull of import duty you should beok i have not yethad anyproblem with 2 deliveries. hishulls and other hardware are very good qualitybut hishulls are speed machine designs so would not be very good for a begginer but if youwant to build from scratch in the future its worthremembering the site. if you want a boat ready built with radio gearbe carefull who you go tobecause you might find a new rtr boat for a couple of hundered but the quality wont be there both in the hull structure and thehardware. i have never bought a ready built boat before so i cant speak from experience but other club members have reccomended arrow shark to be the bestready to run boats out there butthey can be a bit expesive but you will easily get one forunder £1000another reccomendation is the dragon challenger which is abig monohull and you can get themnew for £350 and it also has a clutch which can be usefullsearch the name on youtube and watch the running vids