Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Apparition catamaran... good boat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Apparition catamaran... good boat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 07:26 AM
champion221elite
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apparition catamaran... good boat?

I've seen some older threads regarding this particular hull from Hobby King, and most reviews seem fairly positive.

I came across this boat on Ebay and have been exchanging emails with the guy who builds these boats.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-FAST-C...item3a684e5804

From what I gather, it uses twin 2880 kV motors and uses twin 125 amp ESC's. The builder says each ESC is responsible for feeding power to it's own dedicated motor and is stable to 4s per ESC. In stock form, both propellers spin in the same direction. The builder says he can make the boat run counter rotating propellers at no extra cost if the buyer requests it.

He offers different levels of build completion and prices range from the $200 range to over $500 depending on components selected and included accessories.

What do you guys think? Buy one, or pass?

Old 09-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Apparition catamaran... good boat?

PASS PASS PASS...

Here's the break down, you are looking at a stock HOR appartion that HK sells (they do sell the twin, as well as single motor versions) and he rasied the price really really high. The motors are FSD motors (junk) the esc's are suppo esc which are sub par. Twin boats should without a doubt have counter rotating props in order to switch direction all you do is swap to wires on the esc a task that takes literallally 10 seconds if that long, you also need counter rotating props. Everything on this hull needs to be replaced in order to have a well running boat. I was able to get my hands on just the painted hull and hardware and converted everything in a a project i called El Cheapo (lol) using proven electronics and props and ended up with a boat for about $350 that was pushing 60mph. You would be better building this hull yourself. You can grab a bare (allwhite hull) for around $125 for a few places. (i think this hull runs better as a single drive myself). In other words save your money. You won't be happy with that hull the way it is. If you really want a very VERY well build ready to run cat check out the Aquacraft Motley Crew, Proboat Miss Geico and Proboat Mystic. Prover hull desgin, proven electronics will out run this hull (i have had all these hulls to compare) and for a much MUCH cheaper price.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:57 PM
champion221elite

Great info Diesel! You've pretty much confirmed my suspicions about the linked boat. No name electronics scare me, and I highly doubt I'll have any recourse with warranty when I need it.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Diesel6401

the hull really isnt that bad, you just need to build it yourself. check out kintecracing.com for the bare hull. just the price he had listed is a rip off. the motors are pure junk, the escs some people like and they are just ok i personnally dont like them, i do like the suppo brand outrunner motors though they are awesome for there price and i actually used them in my apparition hull. for that price on ebay though there are many better options avaiable for you. the pb mystic boats are very very sexy and horizonhobby customer service is awesome. you can get a nice cat and some new batteries to go with your boat for less then the boat you posted.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:55 PM
champion221elite

The Pro Boat Mystic is one of the other boats on my short list. The Aqua Craft Motley Crew was another one, but it seems to have some driveline related issues.

I'll probably end up going with the Mystic and just be done with it.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Diesel6401

only some of the motley crews had driveline issues, mine did not. i do always normally change the drivline out on all my rtr boats anyway though. the mystic has a little bounce in it, they offset the rudder on and it runs better then the stock miss geico with the inline rudder they are the same exact hulls though. the motor and esc is upgraded though on the mystic. if you go on youtube and search my username you should find my channel and see video of both the motley crew and miss geico running stock. i just dropped a sick motor and esc in my motley crew, cant wait to test drive that.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:25 PM
champion221elite

I'll look up your videos on youtube. I'll probably go with the Mystic and drive it for a little while bone stock. The hull could probably stand some extra power and that would give me an opportunity to upgrade to a higher Kv motor, 100 amp ESC and a total of 6S instead of the stock 4S max.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Diesel6401

mystic is a good hull choice. boating is a different animal, in boating if we increase cell voltage we decrease motor kv. that keeps the amps down. so if you want to go to a 6s cell setup you would something less kv then stock motor. this chart will help with finding what kv would work for your voltage.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Db86386.pdf (6.8 KB, 116 views)
Old 09-22-2011, 04:34 PM
champion221elite

In that case I'll leave it bone stock for a bit and then ask the question for a motor/ esc/ battery combination when I'm ready to upgrade.

Even on 4S, the Mystic is pretty darned quick.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Diesel6401

i updated my above post with a chart for you to check out it should help you out. Stock is good on the Mystic it runs good. Boating is different animal like Imentioned above. What typicaly works in cars and planes will not work at all in boating. Amps are a big difference in boating, Ihave setups that can pull 150+ amps easy and its a lot more expensive to go fasst in boating then in cars/planes.
ORIGINAL: champion221elite

In that case I'll leave it bone stock for a bit and then ask the question for a motor/ esc/ battery combination when I'm ready to upgrade.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:48 PM
champion221elite

Oh I know all about speed being very expensive when it comes to boats. I have a bass boat, and it can cost thousands of dollars just to pick up 3-5 mph.
ORIGINAL: Diesel6401

i updated my above post with a chart for you to check out it should help you out. Stock is good on the Mystic it runs good. Boating is different animal like Imentioned above. What typicaly works in cars and planes will not work at all in boating. Amps are a big difference in boating, Ihave setups that can pull 150+ amps easy and its a lot more expensive to go fasst in boating then in cars/planes.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Diesel6401

Little boats are like big boat, holes you throw money into lol....

Oh I know all about speed being very expensive when it comes to boats. I have a bass boat, and it can cost thousands of dollars just to pick up 3-5 mph.
ORIGINAL: Diesel6401

Old 09-22-2011, 04:57 PM
champion221elite

B.O.A.T = Break Out Another Thousand.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Diesel6401

HAHAHAHAHA, rofl!

B.O.A.T = Break Out Another Thousand.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:58 PM
hugho

I did not have very good performance with mine. It's been sitting the box in my shedfor about a year now.
good luck
HughO
Old 09-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Diesel6401

@ hugho 

i assume your referring to the apparation correct? 
Old 09-22-2011, 07:17 PM
hugho

yes
Old 09-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Diesel6401

twin or single motor? there pretty easy to convert and not that expensive. you can make a decent runner out of it if you want.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:46 PM
hugho

I'll try that. Thanks
Hugho
Old 10-07-2011, 08:03 PM
thomasjohn

I will tell you from experiance one of my RC friends gots one twin counter rotating props up graded motors 60 mph seen it with my own eyes , both from radar gun and GPS , very quick and very smoth across the water .
Old 10-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Diesel6401

If the boat is setup properly without a doubt,60 can be reached. I was pushing this hull close to that with $20motors and $5 props. The setup he linked too was NOT done properly however.
ORIGINAL: thomasjohn

I will tell you from experiance one of my RC friends gots one twin counter rotating props up graded motors 60 mph seen it with my own eyes , both from radar gun and GPS , very quick and very smoth across the water .