Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

2.4 Ghz Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

2.4 Ghz Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:48 AM
leebart121

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 Ghz Question

I am looking at 2.4 ghz radios and I have gliders and am making a boat.
Can I use the same 2.4 ghz TX for a boat as I would for a glider?
I have a high chance of getting a 2.4 ghz TX that was used with a Heli and just want to know if it would be legal to use with a boat as well.
any info would be great.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:57 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: 2.4 Ghz Question

Yes
Old 09-26-2011, 02:34 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

There are two frequency bands in the US that can be used for basically any R/C vehicle, 27MHz and 2.4GHz. This also applies to the 50MHz band, HOWEVER an FCC license is required for a modeller to use that frequency band due to the fine tuning that can be required by the R/C equipment
Old 09-30-2011, 05:44 PM
wilsonreef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems that I read somewhere that the surface radios and air radios aren't meant to be used for the same application.  Don't remember if that's true or not.  I always used two different radios for my heli and boat.  Hopefully someone with more insight will chip in...

Carl
Old 10-01-2011, 01:21 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: wilsonreef

It seems that I read somewhere that the surface radios and air radios aren't meant to be used for the same application. Don't remember if that's true or not. I always used two different radios for my heli and boat. Hopefully someone with more insight will chip in...

Carl
Only applies to non-2.4GHz radios.
This is to prevent someone using a surface model controlling a flying model by segregating the bands that they work on.
Any crystal fitted TX will control any RX in the same band with the matching crystal. 2.4GHz equipment works in a very different way - once a receiver is bound to a transmitter, only that transmitter will control that receiver. The difference is in the labels on the controls - few boats need a collective, few have ailerons or elevators, while few planes need a reverse, many boats do, similarly, wheeled models need brakes, boats don't.