Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Non RC battery question?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Non RC battery question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:30 AM
champion221elite
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non RC battery question?

I have a Surefire 8NX flashlight/ charger and if you're familiar with Surefire products, nothing they make is cheap. My 8NX light uses a Ni-Cd battery stick which is now discontinued and difficult to find.

Without disassembling my existing battery stick, Ican tell there are 3 cells inside the plastic outer wrapping. What I'm looking to do is buy some Ni-MH cells of the same size and see if they'll work in my light. I'm just wondering if my charger will be capable of charging and maintaining Ni-MH batteries when it was originally designed for Ni-Cd cells.

It's hard to tell, but I think the cells are either C, or Sub C. Also, without knowing the mah capacity of each cell, is there a certain target I should be looking for when replacing with individual cells?

Just so you know what I'm talking about, here's a picture of the Surefire factory B90 stick.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Dan S

Default RE: Non RC battery question?

yes 3 cells,
they are Sub-C cells, I think around 1800 mAh.
you can get yourself some good Sub-C cells and I believe the one that are the correct size are the GP3700 Ni-Mh.
other brands of Sub-C may work, just check the size.
I would get a charger for Ni-Mh.

Dan.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:58 AM
champion221elite
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the reply! I had to call Surefire for an unrelated matter and asked while I had their tech on the phone.

According to Surefire, total mah for the Ni-Cd stick is 1700. He said there are no guarantees my charger will charge the Ni-Mh batteries, but doesn't see a problem as long as the cells have the same voltage as Ni-Cd cells. (Both are 1.2 volts per cell regardless of Ni-Cd or Ni-Mh chemistry)

I have actually come across an aftermarket Ni-Mh battery stick that is rated at 3300 mah and 3.6 volts.

For about $16 per stick, that's almost cheaper than messing with building my own.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:45 AM
TCHedOff

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/ can make any battery pack you want in any configuration you can think of. Check out their site and select custom packs.... and you'll see what i mean.