Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Duel motor speed controler?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Duel motor speed controler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:23 AM
kbracing96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duel motor speed controler?

I'm brand new to this whole RC boat thing and been reading a bunch. Question is I have a "toy" rc boat with twin motors that shuts one off to make the boat turn. I'd like to convert it to brusheless motors and make it a lot faster, but haven't been able to find a ESC that has this duel speed kind of fuction for using no rudder. Anyone know what I'm looking for? Thanks!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:11 AM
hendocap

Default RE: Duel motor speed controler?

You have to run 1 esc per motor and maybe mix the 2 together ? Never heard of anyone doing that Brushless and honestly don't really understand why you would want to ? JMO
Old 11-03-2011, 10:52 AM
kbracing96

Because there is no rudder, the boat is currently steered by stopping the inside motor/prop.  To turn the boat to turn to the right, it stops the right prop and the left prop turns the boat. 

The boat is just a Cheap ebay special kinda thing.  I'm just looking for an easy way to make it faster and funner.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:15 AM
hendocap

I'm familiar how it work , just don't understand why you would want to improve on it ?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:34 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I expect that since most brushless are still really forward only, and this is the norm with airplanes, a mixer intended for twin engine aircraft would do the job.
The ones that I am familiar with are for brushed motors and fully proportional ESCs.  This would give much better control with yours.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:38 PM
kbracing96

ORIGINAL: hendocap

I'm familiar how it work , just don't understand why you would want to improve on it ?
What don't you not understand??? That I want to make the boat faster??? Cuz it's SLOW... I want to put better motors in it and more battery... It's simple... Basicly, I want to use the hull and drives with upgated electronics and radio. The boat was a gift and I just want to have more fun with it.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:01 PM
coriolan

If the radio system is integrated (Rx+control for each motor) you won't be able to use brushless esc with it and need to replace the whole electronic with a Hobby grade radio system. Then you'll most likely find out the hull can't handle the extra speed and power!
You can always try better brushed motors if the controller can handle the increased Amp draw.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:53 PM
kbracing96

I plan on replacing all the elecroninc with hobby grade. I was just looking for a way to contol the motors like the way the current toy grade does.
ORIGINAL: coriolan

If the radio system is integrated (Rx+control for each motor) you won't be able to use brushless esc with it and need to replace the whole electronic with a Hobby grade radio system. Then you'll most likely find out the hull can't handle the extra speed and power!
You can always try better brushed motors if the controller can handle the increased Amp draw.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:20 PM
hendocap

ORIGINAL: coriolan

And thats saying it nicely, I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU WOULD INVEST TIME AND MONEY INTO A TOY BOAT THATS NOT MADE TO HANDLE SUCH COMPONENTS. Why not buy a real hull that can handle a brushless system with a rudder that has been proven to work good time and time again.
Some of you guys keep asking how you can but these big motors and batteries in the little TOY boats that are not designed to handle the power.
I Don"t Get your Mind set !!!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:07 PM
kbracing96

You don't seem to understand, that I'm just tring to have a little fun with something I have NO money in. Ya, I coupld go spend $3-400 on a good boat and everything, OR I could throw a 100 bucks at this and have a fun little toy. It's ingenuity... Using what you have or can build... What's wrong with that? I didn't ask if you thought it was a good idea, I asked if you knew were I could find such a little device.

This is my first boat and I just want to have a litle fun and if I sink it, I don't want to be out a bunch of money. I also just bought one of the NQDSprint jet boats from ebay that guys gut and put good stuff in for fun too, but I guess you think that's a waste too hu? IDK, I just like doing things a little different and see how they turn out.

ORIGINAL: hendocap
And thats saying it nicely, I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU WOULD INVEST TIME AND MONEY INTO A TOY BOAT THATS NOT MADE TO HANDLE SUCH COMPONENTS. Why not buy a real hull that can handle a brushless system with a rudder that has been proven to work good time and time again.
Some of you guys keep asking how you can but these big motors and batteries in the little TOY boats that are not designed to handle the power.
I Don"t Get your Mind set !!!!!
Old 11-04-2011, 01:55 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Hendocap does have a point - for what you will need to uprate this boat (picture, so that we don't have to guess as much?) with the distinct possibility that the hull will be a total lemon if it can't handle the extra performance, going the extra distance need not stand you much extra.  In fact, if it then needs new prop shafts, props and couplers,  then better batteries to handle the power, replacing the hull could well be a very minor part of the budget.  There are mixer/ESC combos, there are also separate mixers and ESCs.
The action p94 ( http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/P94.pdf ) has the functions, but is intended for LARGE models.  There probably isn't a brushed model motor that it can't handle.  Yours might not have room for it.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:35 AM
hendocap

No more comment. Each to his own. You came on here asking for help, don't say I didn't warn ya.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:46 AM
FireSlash

I'm familiar with these boats, as I was considering doing the same to mine.

First off, I quickly concluded that a rudder is a far more cost effective option for these boats. You can easily install one, however make sure the prop is the break away kind, and that you install some kind of support into the back as the hull is a very cheap plastic and won't take a high speed knock.

If you're sure you want to go twin motor, many surface radios can channel mix, however I couldn't come up with a satisfactory mixing on the radio alone for this. Someone pointed me toward some aileron mixers that would help, but I never worked out the entire setup.

The biggest issue I ran into was cost. I ran over to hobbyking and ran up a cheap parts list with the bits I'd need. Individually they were pretty cheap, but very quickly I found that the parts exceeded the kit price of a similarly sized boat kit before I'd even added electronics.

So I started to scratch off non-essential parts, and I was STILL over; and this was without things like turning fins and trim tabs.

I was about to place the order but before that I sat down and went over the hull again. I tried to remove the old dual prop shafts since i wouldn't be needing them anymore (Even if I stuck with dual shafts the original ones are incorrectly sized), and the back of the hull cracked. The plastic here is very cheap and doesn't handle stress well at all. I imagine even at moderate speeds it wouldn't take much to punch a hole through the bottom of the hull; assuming the torsion from the motors alone wouldn't break it first.

I have a second boat I bought for spare parts that I'm still thinking of toying with, but instead of inboard I'm looking at a couple outboard options. However this is more for amusement than anything, and it seems outboard systems aren't cheap so odds are these will find their way into the trash soon.