Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

strake build-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:45 AM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strake build-up

I want to make ABS strakes sharp besides using CA, which would be endless proceedure. The results would make my 4 hairs disappear for sure. Any ideas?? Would strips of basswood do it? I'm open ?
Old 12-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Apismelifera

Default RE: strake build-up

I have used some liquid TENAX-7 (from the hobby store). Put some tiny scrap pieces of ABS in a small glass jar and add a small amount of the Tenax-7 and put the cover of the jar back on tight. Cap the glue too. After awhile the ABS dissolves in the glue and you end up with a sort of ABS filler material. If it's too thin add more ABS, too thick then add more glue. Then with a small screwdriver remove some from the jar and apply it to the model where you want it. The better the shape of the application is the less shaping you will need to do later. Wait until the filler you added has had a chance to harden before shaping it.

At first start out with a small amount, if you put too much filler on your model at one time it will cause distortion of the model. Work in a small area at first. Better yet try it on a scrap piece to get a feel for it.

If the filler is made from the same color ABS as the area where it will be applied then the addition can be nearly invisible. Not really a concern if you plan on painting over it.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:17 PM

Will it stink up the house?LOL! Thanks!
Old 12-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Apismelifera

Well the label on the bottle says to only use it in a well ventilated area. So I would say yes
Old 12-29-2011, 05:41 PM

I surfed and found out they discontinued TENAX-7. Micro-mark in your area sells SAME-STUFF ( name ), that is what they claim anyhow. Thick CA will make you leave the room and GOOP and a few others. I googled and some use MEK and others use Micro-weld. I have rc boats that were made 4 years ago that are .060 thick and in good shape but are not sharp on strakes. Good winter project. Thanks!